Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress and Windows 7  (Read 21064 times)

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress and Windows 7
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 11:56:26 am »

Right now they probably focused on getting Windows 7 stable.  The later build will probably be faster.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 01:31:54 pm »

I've now played through a couple of seasons of a middle-aged fortress in DF 40d11 using Windows 7 RC. Works great for me, and with a high framerate.

So...Windows 7 is faster than XP?

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 02:33:16 am »

I've now played through a couple of seasons of a middle-aged fortress in DF 40d11 using Windows 7 RC. Works great for me, and with a high framerate.

About the same for me.  Any change in performance is probably negligible.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 06:52:24 am »

About the same for me.  Any change in performance is probably negligible.

Hm...not bad...not bad at all, considering that you are using a "test" version.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 01:42:15 pm by Tormy »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 05:42:17 pm »

Does anyone know the accual release date for windows 7? To my knowledge it was around january 2010 but someone today at school was saying august 2009.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 07:52:34 pm »

Been some word that Win7 will ship early (aka, buggier and more incomplete than it would have otherwise).

After my experiences with Vista, Win7 better be as bullet-proof as the C64's OS; faster on my laptop than a Daytona Charger in a straight line; and able to play every damn thing I own.

I am not tossing a few thousand dollars worth of perfectly good games for another bug-filled security nightmare. I'll hack XP to work as long as I can.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 08:29:24 pm »

Been some word that Win7 will ship early (aka, buggier and more incomplete than it would have otherwise).

After my experiences with Vista, Win7 better be as bullet-proof as the C64's OS; faster on my laptop than a Daytona Charger in a straight line; and able to play every damn thing I own.

I am not tossing a few thousand dollars worth of perfectly good games for another bug-filled security nightmare. I'll hack XP to work as long as I can.
heh if their stupid enough to ship early I won't feel sorry for them though it sounds like even if it ships early it might not be as buggy as vista was.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 02:53:09 am »

16x16 map with 150 dwarves, with Ocean, Major river, HFS, Chasm, Bottomless pit, UGRiver, Magma Pipe, 20+z-level mountain (haven't counted yet) It said there's a pool of water and magma some wheres.. haven't found either... on windows vista...

60 FPS... ONLY THING THAT SLOWS IT... digging and not removing the ramps before hand.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2009, 01:43:39 pm »

16x16 map with 150 dwarves, with Ocean, Major river, HFS, Chasm, Bottomless pit, UGRiver, Magma Pipe, 20+z-level mountain (haven't counted yet) It said there's a pool of water and magma some wheres.. haven't found either... on windows vista...

60 FPS... ONLY THING THAT SLOWS IT... digging and not removing the ramps before hand.

That is "normal" on Vista, if you have a decent system.  ;)

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2009, 03:57:56 pm »

I can confirm that Dwarf Fortress was not running well at all when I initially installed Windows 7... I updated my graphics drivers and it is now moving along swimmingly (better than Vista, I think).

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2009, 09:09:50 pm »

Nice necro, anyways:

Yeah it works flawlessly on Windows 7 Home Premium.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2009, 10:29:29 pm »

Sorry. I found it when I was having problems with my copy, and I just wanted to make sure if anyone else was having the same problem they'd know the (hopefully) definite answer.

remmon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2009, 05:11:16 am »

Posting to confirm this battlestation is now fully operational!

Also, DF under Windows 7 runs aprox 14% faster then it did under Vista on the same box.
I am pleased.
Do note, newest graphics card drivers were needed to get 40d16 running at all.

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2009, 05:49:48 am »

The problem with Windows 7 and DF is the Microsoft GFX drivers.. DF uses OpenGL, and Microsoft develop DirectX so naturally support for OpenGL with their drivers are hideous.

Use the drivers from your hardware manufacturers.

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2009, 10:30:25 am »

Having some problems myself. Before installing 7, I got around 100 FPS all the time.

Now, I have about 16 FPS... at best...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4