Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you read this story semi-regularly/have read it all the way through?  (This just sates my curiosity on how many people read this thing.)

Yes, I read it when it updates!
Yes, I've read/am reading it all the way through!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31

Author Topic: Olonkulet - Bloodlines  (Read 62464 times)

Kanute

• Bay Watcher
  • Gr
    • View Profile
Re: Olonkulet - Survival (Community/Fugitives)
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2009, 10:54:26 pm »

Always enjoy your stories!

Name: Yngwie
Profession: Metalsmith
Crime: Defacing coins, people

The only child of two smithdwarves, Yngwie grew up in comfort. Her parents' relative prosperity ensured that she was trained in delicate metalworking, and she later went on to create a successful business in smithing personalized chairs for dwarves, the chair having complete geneologies and other fineries inlaid in expensive metals. She expanded her business to create chests and other furnitures, each piece a unique and exquisitely made artwork. Before long she became moderately famous for her various furniture pieces and so it seemed only natural that she start making statues, instead (metal statues being a more noble artform). Yngwie would look at a dwarf and then try to create a likeness out of the metal, and every time a statue was unveiled, it would lack any sort of resemblance to the dwarf in question. This continued for many months, and she slowly lost all respect and riches and sunk into a deep depression. One alcohol-deprived night, as she was fixing the face of a coin (which had a version of the king where, due to a faulty mold in the royal mints, the nose was humorously large), she realized what had gone wrong. The statues were immaculate, perfect; the error lay in the dwarf. Possibly in the eye of the dwarven beholder.

She was caught attempting to "fix" a previous customer's face with a metalworker's hammer.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Olonkulet - Survival (Community/Fugitives)
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2009, 08:05:17 am »

Emerin's Log
15th Granite, 352

Elves arrived today.  We initially assumed a return from the Liason, but these were a pair of merchants with donkeys and no wagons, and Broose informs me they are wearing heather and lintgrass coats and dresses in various shades of azure, mauve and periwinkle.  We have carted out our little bin of bloodcrafts, as well as the clothing from that kobold, which we have discovered to be of surprisingly fine giant cave spider silk.  To celebrate the occasion, six new pups were born to Urgash's increasingly full cages.  He had better throw a gods-damned banquet when those pups come of age, he has so many!  I'm not sure what he feeds them.  Vermin, mostly, I should imagine.

17th Granite, 352

We traded with the elves for a few punnets of exotic fruits (dukefruit and shadeberries) as well as a couple of barrels of scavenger's brew and decent sacramental wine, plus a rare Elven drink called "nature's blood".  Sounds suspiciously like our own bloodwine, but they let me have a thimble of the stuff and it was bloody marvellous for something vinted by an elf.  They even let us have a few logs of wood (which they treated like bloody deities, I might add), though nowhere near enough for any major work on the wagon.  We offered them a roof for the night before they continue on their journey, but they said they preferred to sleep beneath the stars.  Bloody elves.

Vignette: Sapling's Slumber
17th Granite, 352

Urgash approached the two Elven traders, carrying a pair of bowls of hot stew.  The elves were sat beneath the clear night sky, conversing rapidly in their fluidic tongue, but stopped when they noticed Urgash approaching.  They stared at him silently as he got closer, a habit that Urgash frankly found disturbing.  He tried to put a cheerful face over it and greeted them in as friendly a manner as he could manage, offering them the bowls.

"I figured with you folks being our guests and all you might get hungry," he said.  The elves took the proffered bowls and sniffed them cautiously.

"What is this?" one of them asked.

"We call it brown chow.  I didn't put any meat in these, on account of you being elves, but there's a bit of extra spice for flavour."  Small chunks of red-brown mushroom poked out of the thick brown gruel.  The elf picked up the spoon in the bowl, tasted a little and did his level best to try and swallow all of the mouthful as gracefully as he could.

"Thank you," he said in stilted dwarfish.  "Your kindness is welcomed most.  I am named Nisa."

"I am named Nine," added the other.

"Well, I'm Urgash," said Urgash.  "Nice to meet you, I guess."  An awkward pause followed as the elves continued to stare at him.  He attempted to break it by asking another question.  "So where are you folks going?"

"Loyaraafe," said Nisa.  "You would say 'The Imprisoned Fangs', yes?"

"Would I?" wondered Urgash.  "Right.  That's an elf place?"  Nisa nodded.

"Home... place," he explained, searching for the words.  "We go to... town but not like this.  Trees.  More... Holy?" 

Urgash chose to leave that be.  He looked at the ground between the two elves, where they had piled a small heap of sand and made it damp with water from the brook, then surrounded it with a handful of smooth river pebbles.  The pebbles appeared to be arranged in specific, geometric patterns.

"What are you doing there?" he asked.  The elves looked at the soil, then at him and finally at each other, conversing for a moment in their tongue and shrugging to each other.  Nine beckoned the dwarf a little closer and gestured to the clump of dirt.  He wet his fingers with a bit of gruel from the bowl, then traced in between the stones, whispering in a more sibilant variant of the Elvish tongue.  Urgram watched in some amazement as, over a period of five minutes, a tiny shoot poked up through the little mound of earth and spread out its little spindly leaves.  Nisa studied it for a moment when Nine had completed his strange rite.

"The Force is weak here," explained Nisa.  "It sleeps.  It sleeps for a long time.  Maybe until the world is made again."

"What you did with that shoot," said Urgash, "could you do it with other plants here?  Trees, maybe?"  The elf shook his head.

"No.  The Force will not wake from slumber.  It has little strength, and to bend it unwillingly is not our way."

"It would be mighty useful, though.  We could use the wood."  The elf looked at Urgash sadly and shook his head.

"You do not understand.  Maybe one day you will.  Or not.  Thank you for the food."

The two elves returned to their study of the desert shrub and Urgash felt himself dismissed.  He left them, taking away a strange sense of mixed wonder and alienation.

NB:  Artistic license was taken to demonstrate the magic used here.  The rite described in the text, without any bright lights or similar effects, is truer to style.

Emerin's Log
17th Slate, 352

Broose spotted a small trail of dwarves headed for our encampment today, following the river from the north.  They don't appear to be merchants or militia.  Why would anyone be coming here?

Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Olonkulet - Refuge (Community/Fugitives)
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2009, 08:21:07 am »

CHAPTER TWO: REFUGE

Emerin understood the concept behind democrancy* quite well; when six people put their vote to you and you didn't accept their ruling, what they said happened or you wouldn't find yourself in a fit state to take part in making the next decision.  She reasoned that monarchy worked on a similar principle, except with axes and hammers acting as vote-multipliers.  If you put your vote to six peasants and your axe and armour counted for six votes by themselves, you passed your resolution pretty quickly.

Insightful as this political analysis was, it did nothing to prepare her for the arrival and demands of nineteen immigrants on her doorstep, beyond making her acutely aware that nineteen pairs of fists could pass some pretty decisive resolutions if you handled them poorly.

"Ho!" cried Broose as the first pair of dwarves in the trail trudged into the middle of the encampment.  They looked bedraggled and beaten.  "What business brings you here?"

"Sanctuary," breathed one of the dwarves in desperation, propping himself up with his pickaxe.  He tried to manage more, but slumped onto the ground from bitter exhaustion.  An older dwarf in tattered leather armour, holding an ancient sword almost as battered as the dwarves, stepped forward.

"We seek refuge here," she announced, "from oppression and from the law.  We are fugitives."  She looked Broose over, then to the conspicuous half-demolished boat that still served as the centrepiece of the camp.  "As were you."

By the time all the refugees had stumbled in, nearly nineteen in total were counted.  Some had taken up seats in the beerhall, others perched on the boat; many simply dropped to the ground, grateful for respite from the days of forced marching.  The migrants had even brought livestock; a breeding pair of donkeys struggled to carry what provisions and possessions they had saved, tethered to a foal and a pet dog.  The miner who had collapsed, Ascubis, had been propped up against a rock and given some watered-down glow wine to try and help him recover.  Urgash and Frey looked onto the scene from the doorway of one of the apartments, where the older dwarf who had spoken was being interviewed by Broose and Emerin.  A couple of other dwarves, a male and female holding newer but equally broken weaponry, leant against the walls as this went on.

"They're too knackered to make much of it now," said Urgash, "but soon they're going to remember how long they've not eaten for.  How long haven't they eaten for?"

"Two and a half days," said the old dwarf.  "We've been tightening our belts to make do.  This deep into the Dipped Moist, there aren't even coyote melons to scavenge."

"Well we're not exactly bursting with food here, but I could try and scrape together a big chow bowl for tonight and maybe some rations to put you through for a week or so.  It'll set us back quite a bit, but we've got a harvest coming up soon.  Should last you long enough to get to your next stop."

"No," said the old dwarf, shaking her head.  "There is no next stop."

"I'm sorry," said Emerin, "but we don't have room for refugees here.  We're barely surviving ourselves."

"No, you don't understand.  There's nowhere to go.  There's nowhere else we can go."  Emerin stared at the old dwarf's face for a moment, then sighed deeply, running a hand through her hair.

"Look," she said.  "It's Ragna, right?  What did you mean about fleeing from the law and oppression?  What happened to you people?"

"The Queen happened," replied Ragna darkly.

Not long after the King had been assassinated, the Mountainhomes had undergone a massive upheaval.  Nearly sixty prisoners had escaped the citadel and fled into the countryside and internal factioning over the new King had led to a temporary alliance of nobles.  One of the few things the oligarchs could agree on was the issue of security, given how anonymously the old King had been killed.  Parties were sent into the caverns of the Mountainhomes, returning with distressing news that the city was riddled with secret passages, many of which were completely forgotten by the people who had built them.  As well as filling these up, the nobility had ordered a sweep of the old, cloistered sections of the city.  These brief military incursions disrupted the hermitude of an old swordsdwarf and eventually forced her out and into the countryside.

Ragna had watched the battle take place from the waterfalls in the upper mountain, the Elven army crashing against the impenetrable fortress walls of the Mountainhomes.  They shouldn't have been able to get in.  The walls should have held.  By some treachery, the gates of the mountain were opened and the elven flood had entered.  Ragna saw no more of the battle from her external view, but she later heard that the army survived inside the mountain long enough to slaughter every oligarch before nearly a third of it defected to the dwarven side.  The elven general, Atis, crowned herself while her troops were still resident in the mountain and then set them about the kingdom to consolidate her rule.

Ragna, having fought in a number of wars a century prior, had little difficulty evading the army scouts and the bounty hunters alike, but along the way she had started to run into outlaws; some escapees from the prison, some wanted but never captured, all struggling to survive against the huntsdwarves.  She travelled with them, leaving the worst behind her and taking some of the less villainous under her wing.  They travelled as a small group of outlaws, though Ragna did her best to steer them away from outright banditry.

It was inevitable that eventually they would run into refugees.  Many of the nobles had capitulated out of a desire for peace and order, but many rankled against the idea of submitting to an Elven Queen and so had to be met with war.  The battles between the dwarves and elves continued also, with human mercenaries signing on to either side.  In such turmoil the sins of war bred freely; mines were flooded, grottos pillaged and collapsed, fortresses razed to the ground.  Dwarves fled, outpost to outpost, and some crossed the path of Ragna and her dwarves.  Ragna had taken them too under her wing, protecting them as best she could from other outlaws and the predations of war and soldiers.  The band had grown, moving in search of sanctuary until eventually hearing tell from a dwarven caravan guard headed north from Kulettögum of a small camp of fugitives that had escaped the Queen's eye.

"So you came here?" asked Emerin.

"As I said," answered Ragna, "there is nowhere else.  The Elves declared a truce over a month ago and the Queen is focused entirely on finishing her work within the kingdom now.  All the major colonies have been converted or captured, and there aren't any places left for anyone with whom the new order doesn't sit.  Where would you have us turn?  Kulettögum?  We are not nationals, and their city is full to the brim already.  Nist Akath?  Less than a handful would survive the journey."

Emerin was speechless, so Frey spoke up instead.

"We need some time to consider your plea.  Please, attend to your dwarves.  We will return with a decision."

"Very well," said Ragna.  "I will tell them that you are deliberating."  She bowed her head and filed out of the apartment with the other two dwarves.  Frey watched them join the group of resting dwarves, then looked back to the other founders present.

"We could just say no," he suggested quietly.  "Pack them off with some provisions and tell them to try their luck with the salt mines."

"Could," said Broose, "but won't.  For a start, they outnumber us three to one.  That girl's lackeys looked green, but she could probably pull one over on me or you."

"If we take them on," protested Frey, "we'll need to use up wood for beds and such, even if we sit them all in a barracks.  We won't have enough for the wagon."

"We may not have enough for one anyway," sighed Emerin, "and we all know we're getting nowhere with it.  I did a bit of asking around while they were all filing in.  One of the dwarves out there is a carpenter; a proper carpenter.  Those two girls out there with the tool bags?  Smelter and metalcrafter.  Tools, parts and skills, which is what we need.  If we can get through the trouble of housing and feeding them, we can hang on 'til summer and try and catch a human caravan, buy enough wood to build a single wagon.  Once we've got one we can send you abroad to fell lumber, Broose, and have the beasts of burden drag it back.  We can get wood from beyond our immediate region that way; enough to build a second wagon and from there we should pretty soon have enough wagon space to take everyone, refugees included.  We can load up supplies and leave the country, make a longer journey than we could on foot and find a foreign outpost we can settle down in."

"You reckon that's what we should do?" asked Urgash.

"I reckon that's what we'll be able to sell them," said Emerin, nodding in the direction of the doorway.  "Pardon me for saying it, but appeasing the mob out there is the more pressing issue right now."

"You make a fair point," conceded Frey.  "I say we go with that plan for now."

"I don't think it's going to work," said Urgash.  "We can't know how much wood the humans will bring, and that many mouths runs the risk of outstripping our food stores in less than a fortnight."

"If we're going to vote," said Emerin, "we should do it when we're all here."

"Doubt we have time," said Frey.  "Your 'mob' is going to want a quick response and the others are still out harvesting the firecaps.  That's two yes, one no."

"I know Loksvig would say yes," volunteered Emerin.

"I know Dani would agree with me on the supplies and say no," countered Urgash.

"I have no idea what Fath would choose," said Frey, "but if Broose is a 'yes', that's the swing vote.  What do you say, Broose?"

Broose stroked his beard, weighing the options.

Ousire looked up from her tool pack and prodded Yngwie awake.  A blonde-bearded dwarf with an axe at his belt had stepped out from the little block of chalk apartments and was talking to Ragna, though the exchange appeared meant for all to hear.

"We've an offer for you," said the blonde-bearded Broose.

"Let's hear it then," said Ragna.

"You, your swordsdwarves, those two metalworkers and the carpenter.  You're useful to us, so we'll take you on.  The rest of them, we'll give them a week's provisions and then they're on their own.  Don't have the fields to feed everyone."

"That's your offer?"

"Aye.  What do you say?"

Ragna stared at Broose, then stared him down.  Broose glared back, awaiting her reply.  The migrant dwarves looked to Ragna with hopeful and fearful expressions.

"I say," said Ragna, after a long pause, "that either we all stay, or none of us stay."

Broose nodded, then reached out and shook her hand.

"Then you all stay," he pronounced.  "And for the record?  If you'd taken the offer I'd have cleaved off your arm right here and fed you to the hounds.  Loyalty is important."

The gathered dwarves breathed a collective sigh of relief, a couple fainting again from the stress.  Urgash, sparing a faint frown for Broose, headed to the kitchen to begin brewing stew for twenty-six.

* democrancy: 1. (n) The dark art of ballot stuffing.
-------

Quite a lot of male dwarf requests went female, I'm afraid.  Strongly female immigration wave.  Opted to turn Ragnar to Ragna to give him/her the Weaponsmith that came with the wave (since it was established she forged her own weapon).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 08:28:48 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2009, 01:06:36 pm »

I would like to take a dwarf, female, name Karana, any proffession right now is fine, but maybe a marksdwarf that also works with bones for both crossbows and bolts.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2009, 04:36:42 pm »

Alright! This is great. Ragna's personality looks like that of someone who would voluntarily live in exile. "Doesnt compromise" fits in well with the story too. Great job!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2009, 06:09:55 pm »

Thanks for the dwarf! The personality seems to fit quite well, too.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2009, 06:30:14 pm »

im a chick? bummer. though the personality seems to match pretty good.

also, i wanted a mechanic :P not furnace operator

Kanute

• Bay Watcher
  • Gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2009, 07:02:19 pm »

Metalcrafter > metalsmith, and more in line with what I had written about her, so that's a good change.

That Yngwie "...does not feel effective in life" works well with her background, as well.

Looking forward for more!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2009, 10:35:17 pm »

No mechanics in this immigration wave, sorry.  I can train her up into a mechanic, but there's more chance of immediate story participation that way.

Be a day or so before the next update, likely.  Got a spot of a cold atm.  Also, thank you all very much for the praise!  Compliments and criticisms are always welcome; one keeps me going and the other makes me a better writer.

[deleted]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2009, 10:40:53 pm »

No mechanics in this immigration wave, sorry.  I can train her up into a mechanic, but there's more chance of immediate story participation that way.

Be a day or so before the next update, likely.  Got a spot of a cold atm.  Also, thank you all very much for the praise!  Compliments and criticisms are always welcome; one keeps me going and the other makes me a better writer.
Hope you get better soon, then. Definitely looking forward to the next update, as well! Keep up the good work.
The spinning Sea Lamprey dorsal fin strikes The Sea Lamprey in the head!
It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!
The Sea Lamprey is propelled away by the force of the blow!
The Sea Lamprey has been struck down.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5703-frostdrummed

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2009, 11:17:31 pm »

aw man, i feel your pain my friend. i was sick myself not to long ago. colds suck!

and yea, i understand that sometimes the right jobs dont arrive for community forts. was just bein sure you remembered  ;D

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2009, 06:10:08 am »

Ragna's Log
20th Slate, 352

As a token of good faith, the dwarves here have agreed to my request to set up a training field across the river.  With the increased size of this camp and the Queen's current policies, there is a risk of attack from soldiers, deserters or more traditional opponents alike.  For now, no more than myself and my two aides need be trained in this way.  The slaughterdwarf, Urgash, has offered to make us some armour and leather bucklers for sparring work.

They are expanding the beerhall as well, moving the current bunks to a rear extension and providing more tables in the current space.

24th Slate, 352

Ascubis informs me that whilst testing how deep the sand at the base of the western mesa was, the mining team dug straight into a cavern full of magma.  I have asked him to report this to the camp leader, Emerin.  For so long as we are here, it will be necessary to remind the others that I am not in charge.

Vignette: Grottomountains
3rd-14th Felsite, 352

Yngwie and Ousire knelt down by the spiretop shrine, dropping their small ular into the stone bowl and folding their hands in prayer.  Ousire poured a little oil onto them from a mug and lit the ular with the shrine's tinderbox.  The tiny wooden statues burned with flickering pale flames in the wind.  A couple of other dwarves were already before the kaolinite idol that had become a common place for meditation amongst dwarves on their breaks, as even those that did not especially revere Nakas still appreciated a dedicated site for prayer.  One of the dwarves already present, a young female, appeared to be very deeply in prayer; so deeply in fact that her friend was gently nudging her to wake her up.  Yngwie looked over at the entranced dwarf, recognising her.

"Karana?" she asked.  The dwarf did not appear to hear her, so she closed her eyes and returned to her prayer.  A few moments later, she heard movement beside her and looked over.  Karana had opened her eyes and now stared intently at the statue.  She stood up and looked over the other three dwarves.

"Come," she said in a strangely authoritative voice.  "There is a work to be done."  With that she turned and strode towards the encampment, pale and dusty clothes flapping in the mountainside winds.  Yngwie stood up to follow, dragging Ousire with her.  They reached the small stone building at the far edge of the encampment when Karana turned to them.

"What is this place to be?" she asked.

"Well, I think they're turning it into a granary," volunteered Yngwie.  "There's this chamber being flooded downstairs for use as a farm and-"

"Good," said Karana, cutting her off.  "This shall be a house of Nakas.  She shall reside in this place, as She has in many others.  Let us celebrate."  Karana strode in the direction of the workshops without a further word.  Ousire glanced at Yngwie and shrugged.  They headed towards the complex of workshops (filled with dwarves erecting new walls and roofs), where Karana had seized a hunk of brown jasper the size of a table and dragged it onto the gemworkers' bench.  The dwarf had produced tools and already begun chiselling into the jasper, reciting mantras to Nakas as she did so.  The dwarves watched her work for a few minutes before it became apparent that she was not about to cease and so returned to their duties.

Over the next five days, Karana worked day and night with neither food nor water, sustained it seemed by pure fervour.  Whilst initially ignored, dwarves would come to watch her work with curiosity, listening to her recitals of Nakasian verse and hymn.  By the fourth day, some had already begun to gather around her during their breaks or in the evening, listening to the Nakasian stories and joining in the hymns.  At mid-day on the fifth day, dwarves at work were astounded to see Karana leave the workshop and head for the granary-to-be, hefting the piece she had been working on and now completed.  Soon a crowd had gathered in the cramped space of the building and watched with mixed interest, bewilderment and awe as Karana installed the artefact she had produced over the stairwell to the lower level.

Carved from a single block of brown jasper, the hatch covering had been buffed to a brilliant shine, with lines of scripture engraved around the sides and upon the handle.  At its centre was a depiction in cameo of the artefact itself (including scripture) at a perfect ratio of 1:1.618, itself possessing an intaglio depiction of the hatch cover at the same ratio, which possessed another such depiction in cameo, continuing on until the detail on the smallest hatch became too small to make out with the naked eye.

"As I prayed," explained Karana to the marvelling crowd, "I saw a vision of the Seared Crypt, of our country.  I saw the fear that gripped the land, the despair and chaos that shook it.  Then I was taken from the country to the citadel, from the citadel to an outpost, from an outpost to a lone grotto in the hills and thence to a family, and in all these places I saw this despair reflected.  Yet at the last I saw a seed of joy, of revelry, in the birth of a newborn child.  I watched as the joy from this moment spread to that family, then echoed as a light to the whole grotto, carried back to the outpost, the citadels and at last to the whole of dwarfkind.  There, my friends, I learned the truth; it is not the misfortune of the world that oppresses us, but our own individual joys that liberate it.

"This work I dedicate to Nakas, from whom all revelry springs, and to those grotto mountains, to those places of the individual from which the seed of joy flourishes.  Let it remind us that the greater picture is but an echo of the individual within.  For many of us these past months have been ones of mourning and pain, of loss and difficulty.  We have suffered, we have been driven forth from our homes and cast out.  Yet I say to you that here, in this place, we shall find new life and new purpose.  Here we shall find the seed of joy in our hearts and sing out with revelry to the world!  Sing with me, then!  Sing with me of joy!"

Karana broke out into song then, a rapturous hymn to Nakas, and caught up in the moment the dwarves there joined her in the familiar song.  They sang it to its end and Karana led them in prayer before blessing them all that they might go forth with revelry in their hearts.

Six days on from the installation of the hatch (which had been named Grottomountains in dedication to the vision), the idol had been moved from the spire summit to the newly consecrated shrine where the artefact was installed.  Fath had been busy engraving the floors of the shrine, which now bore depictions of tales of legend, the building of their encampment, the creation of the hatch cover and two depictions of Grottomountains itself (though the recursive depictions stopped after three iterations).  That evening, Karana led the dwarves in service once again.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2009, 06:11:12 am »

Olonkulet Appendix Notes - Ular

Ular (sing. ula) are tiny statues, about half the size of an adult thumb, that serve multiple religious purposes in dwarven culture.  The most common ular are wooden depictions of dwarves or livestock that are ritualistically burned before altars.  In the early settlement of Olonkulet, these were carved from the rough desert weeds that otherwise served only for kindling.

Depending on the statue used, this rite can serve a variety of purposes.  Burnt offerings depicting animals or possessions are sometimes made to dedicate such creatures to the gods or in exchange for favours from the divine.  Depictions of ancestors are burned as a way of communicating with the dead; prayers are spoken as the effigy is burned and the smoke carries the prayers to the gods, who convey them to the dead.  It is customary to also make a burnt offering to the god in question when doing this to avoid offending them.  Finally, effigies of recently slain foes are sometimes burnt in this way as a dedication to war gods such as Gigin of the souls of the defeated.

The other form of ula is carved from stone, baked from clay or cast from metal or glass.  The first use for these ular is as grave goods for the departed.  Depictions of livestock, possessions or valuables are placed with the body in the grave or tomb to help out the deceased in the afterlife.  Amongst warriors, effigies of those they had slain are sealed with them to act as servants in the next world.  The second use is as a purgative.  A glass, bone or clay ula is sometimes prepared for those suffering illness, depicting whatever manner of demon is associated with the illness in question.  Various wooden ular are burnt as offerings to the gods whilst prayers are said over the sickbed of the patient and the sickness is supposedly transferred into the effigy.  Once the patient has been recovered, the effigy ula is either smashed with a consecrated hammer or sealed away so that the demon can do no more harm. 

The final use of this form of ula is rather darker; it can be used as a poppet would to bring misfortune upon another dwarf.  Preparing a clay, bone or glass depiction of another dwarf, offerings can be made to the appropriate powers and the ula shattered to bring misfortune upon the intended target.  A stone ula is believed to bring greater misfortune or injury, whilst a metal ula will supposedly bring death or great tragedy.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2009, 09:44:53 am »

Emerin's Log
11th Haematite, 352

One of the workers on the upper beerhall caught a glimpse of a passing human caravan, some distance away in the desert.  A dwarf has been sent with a few days' food and water to divert them here for trade.

Vignette: Hatchcover Prophesy
17th Haematite, 352

A carnival atmosphere filled the marketplace as Emerin, decked out in her green pipemoss dress and a foxfur coat, walked with the human trader through the caravan's wares.  The trader Ibon Nedjirdo, herself in a mauve boll cotton dress and cloak, had explained her status as a representative of one of the trading guilds of the Folded Empire and her journey west to the coast, showing Emerin the many wares they brought for sale there.  Ibon had already apologised that they could not take them on the journey, for their stated destination meant a five-week journey through the desert and they could not extend their supplies so far for so many.

"Now I understand you had a particular interest in wood," said Ibon in her thick desert accent, gesturing to a dour-looking camel laden with twelve heavy logs of ash, oak and saguaro.  "We understand how difficult this can be to obtain in your location."

"Very," agreed Emerin.  "We will happily take all you have, as we are building a wagon to leave the desert.  Happily, we may have enough with what you can provide us."

"Very good.  As for the matter of provision, I wonder if you can perhaps show me a sample of what you have to trade?"  The trader grinned, baring her yellowed teeth.

Emerin smiled back politely and reached into her pocket.  She had been expecting this and come prepared.  She unrolled the piece of cloth to reveal a small marmot-bone amulet.  The trader's grin became a beam as she inspected the gem-work; a masterfully worked ring of dark green bloodstone, shot through with rich bloody colouration, surrounded a superior cameo depiction in fire agate of the legendary murder of the dwarven hero Led Ruleconstruct by his childhood companion Bosa, who had been abducted and turned to the side of the goblins as a young dwarf.  Danielle had appraised its worth as nearly two hundred and fifty firecaps.

Grinning widely, the trader walked Emerin through the stalls at a leisurely pace, singing the praises of the rich metals and fine wares they possessed.  Emerin bargained for the supplies of alcohol and for what fruit and meat the trader had brought, as well as several bins of leather from the eastern plains.  Ibon offered her a bowl of fruit to inspect.  She picked one up, peering at it curiously.

"What is this?" she asked, looking over the palm-sized, thick-skinned fruit.

"That is a hamfist," explained Ibon.  "We have some barrels of hamfist juice for sale as well."

"And that one?"  Emerin pointed at something that looked like a fleshy onion.

"A peelifruit.  We have fermented snap of that, as well."

Emerin bought the fruits, as well as several bags of flour and even a few jars of spice.  She made a point of buying the iron shields presented to her.  As they passed the small menagerie of domestic animals on one of the wagons she began to wave her offers away, but stopped dead at seeing one of the cages.

"Excuse me," she asked.  "Where did you get that cage from?"

"What, that one?  It was a donkey cage from a dwarf grotto, picked it up last year.  We sold the donkey a few weeks ago, but they didn't want the cage.  Ah, I see you are admiring the image sewn into the padding, yes?  The cage was originally for holding prisoners, though I daresay the donkey did not complain."  The human chuckled at her own joke as Emerin stared blankly at the design in the bedding.

"You say you picked this up last year?"

"Yes, around late summer.  If you like, it is yours for oh, let me see..."  The human began to calculate, but Emerin absently handed her a bejewelled ivory brooch and she smiled even more widely.  "It is yours, of course."

"Of course," Emerin murmured.  There in the bedding, depicted nearly a year before in rough agave cloth, was Grottomountains, replete with recursive imagery.

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2009, 01:04:43 pm »

yay i am finally in the story :P wow how ironic that the same imagry was found. i am guessing that was her cage? :P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31