Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A question about grammar  (Read 2878 times)

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
A question about grammar
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:12:55 pm »

I'm a native english speaker, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I have good grammar. In fact, I have atrocious grammar, but I still don't like being called on it. Which is why I got into a discussion today with my friend who took offence to me saying that something was "very much possible".

Is there something grammatically incorrect with saying "very much possible"? I'm only posting this question here because google has been unkind to me. :(

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question about grammar
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:56:25 pm »

Finally! Highschool English comes in handy!

I think it's fine. Strictly speaking, "very possible" is correct since the "much" is redundant. But people say "very much possible" all the time. The only person who should be calling you on that one is an editor, and honestly most of them would probably still miss it.

In fact, I have atrocious grammar
Actually, by internet standards, the grammar in your post seemed above average.

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:07:16 pm »

Yeah, "very much possible" isn't exactly a mortal sin of grammar, but speaking very technically, it should be "very much probable," since possibility only has two states: either something is possible, or something is impossible. That being said, nobody follows that rule in casual conversation, and you shouldn't fret about it unless you're writing something you expect to be graded or paid for.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:00:57 pm by Shzar »
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 09:53:50 pm »

Damnit, you're right. It should be 'probable'.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 02:20:33 am »

My vote goes for the "much" being redundant. It should be "Very possible."
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 04:13:50 am »

Grammar is overrated. Language is for communication. If you can communicate well, then do it. I had do watch someone argue about the difference between "we were waiting for the bus" and "we were waiting for it". And someone mentioned that "speaking English" is grammatically incorrect, it should be "speaking the English language". Or complaining that Real English Speakers don't use American spelling. Or that "they're" should not be used at all; it should be "they are".

The important thing is that you should be able to say something, say it in a way that doesn't make people wince, and say it in as few words as possible. In that case, I'd say "indeed possible" because it sounds nice, and means "very much" without being redundant. But if you look at Google, "very much possible" is a popular term.

Lol, Shzar corrected grammar, then said "payed", which is an offense because it is past tense :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 04:29:43 am »

Or that "they're" should not be used at all; it should be "they are".

Whaaaat

"They're" is fine for colloquial language, however in 'formal' language, they're should not be used. Neither should contractions such as don't, didn't etc.

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 12:05:22 pm »

Lol, Shzar corrected grammar, then said "payed", which is an offense because it is past tense :P

Whoops, stupid me. I frequently make that mistake. Damn irregular verbs.

I mostly agree with your sentiment, Muz. There's no need to impose strict rules of grammar on people's speech between friends etc., since it likely works very well for them. Standard English is for formal writing, or communicating with people who may not be familiar with your slang and thus could get left behind in conversation. I wish netizens were more careful with grammar. Many times I have read an illiterate forum post and wondered if it was sarcastic. It's hard to read subtext when the real text is garbled.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:16:12 pm by Shzar »
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 01:33:48 pm »

I had do watch someone argue about the difference between "we were waiting for the bus" and "we were waiting for it".
Well after I noticed that mistake I immediately ignored the entire rest of your argument.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 01:39:17 pm »

Damnit, you're right. It should be 'probable'.

Eh....I don't know why, but I always wrote "propably" instead of "probably" for a very long period...I am not a native english talker by the way... :D

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 01:41:45 pm »

I don't really know whether this has much to do with grammar, actually.

I know in german it would also be grammatically incorrect to say "very (much) possible" because of the same reason; stuff can be either possible or impossible...

BUT!

In english I think it's called a "hyperbole", and that pretty much applies here. By exaggerating "possible" you imply "unavoidable/it will happen all by itself anyway". If that's not what you actually meant to say, I'd say that's one on the scoreboard for your friend.

If, however, that's exactly what you meant, you get a point AND may call him anal.

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 04:51:23 pm »

Or, you can take the sophsticated way out, and simply say "quite possible"  ;)
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 02:38:39 am »

I don't really know whether this has much to do with grammar, actually.

I know in german it would also be grammatically incorrect to say "very (much) possible" because of the same reason; stuff can be either possible or impossible...

BUT!

In english I think it's called a "hyperbole", and that pretty much applies here. By exaggerating "possible" you imply "unavoidable/it will happen all by itself anyway". If that's not what you actually meant to say, I'd say that's one on the scoreboard for your friend.

If, however, that's exactly what you meant, you get a point AND may call him anal.

Well, this is the relevant bit of the conversation lifted from my msn log and cleaned up. Also, orgasmic birth IS possible. I had no clue! Tell all your girlfriends/wives! :P

Rickeh: did you hear? germany's heading toward civil disorder. the government warned that unrest is very much possible, following the steepest decline in GDP since 1931. 

Seán: very much possible?

Sir Rickeh: very much possible. just like orgasmic birth.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 02:41:27 am by Croquantes »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 10:15:12 am »

In that case I think the score goes to your buddy. I dont think civil disorder in germany is unavoidable. It may be an option, but I really cant believe it's happening "no matter what".

I'm by no means the final authority on that, but I say "very much possible" is grammatically incorrect, in theory, unless hyperbole, which doesnt apply here.

Fun fact: most people probably never know what "very much possible" actually should mean, and use it as "it's highly probable". and that's just plain wrong I believe.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 04:11:06 pm »

Grammar and spelling and whatever language it is should always be taken seriously. Language is one of the very few things that is almost impossible for an individual to lose.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: [1] 2