Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Superpowers the world is missing  (Read 8643 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Superpowers the world is missing
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2009, 09:14:53 pm »

Those 3d puzzles are trippy! I had a 200-something piece one once which was of a clocktower, several buildings, and a road with streetlights.

Took me awhile, but I conquered that puzzle, and it was set in my room as a trophy of the accomplishment.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2009, 01:03:49 am »

OH MY GOD! THERE'S A PENNY ON THE SIDEWALK!
WHAT THE F***?!? A PENNY ON THE SIDEWAK!?!

Beautiful!

Significant is a real word. I suggest you learn prefixed and suffixes. It'll improve you a lot.

Will stop you from saying stuff like unindependant. Or superhyperactive.

I would like the ability to correct ignorance (such as you noted) at will.  Not outright teaching people things, but removing misconceptions.  Not a flashy superpower, but it could do a lot of good.  Think of the wars that might have been prevented.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2009, 07:17:27 am »

"Antidisestablishmentarianism is a word!"

"NO IT'S NOT!"
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2009, 12:37:45 pm »

Anti - dis - establish - ment - arian - ism

Anti-dis.  Why not just take those out entirely?

"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2009, 01:23:13 pm »

Because it's a social movement IIRC, opposed to a group that's against establishment.  So, it's not a double negative, it's actually quite specific.

anti- (dis- (establishment) -arian) -ism
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:25:15 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2009, 01:39:29 pm »

They're against disestablishments...

Which makes them establishments...
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2009, 02:50:23 pm »

Because it's a social movement IIRC, opposed to a group that's against establishment.  So, it's not a double negative, it's actually quite specific.

So then what's establishmentarianism, and how can it not be against disestablishmentarianism?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2009, 03:26:49 pm »

So then what's establishmentarianism, and how can it not be against disestablishmentarianism?

How about a parallel?
McCarthyism is a type of anti-communist sentiment.  However not all people against McCarthyism are pro-communist.  Some (most) anti-McCarthyists are against Communism but are opposed to the way McCarthyism opposes communism.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2009, 03:28:44 pm »

How about a parallel?
McCarthyism is a type of anti-communist sentiment.  However not all people against McCarthyism are pro-communist.  Some (most) anti-McCarthyists are against Communism but are opposed to the way McCarthyism opposes communism.

Yeah, this.  The meaning of the word antidisestablishmentarianism is not exactly what is implied by its root words, kind of like how you could be anti-pro-life without trying to annihilate all life on the planet.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2009, 05:36:55 pm »

A superpower: a strong mind and will, giving immunity to mind effecting superpowers, mental shifting (that warping everyone gets), and creating an area around one's self where reality warping powers are dampened or negated. An ability that prevents all perceptional errors with a little physics support, in other words.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2009, 05:49:18 pm »

Spontaneous metling and reforging of metals. Not like alchemy where a lead pipe turns into a huge steel cannon.  The metal stays the same, total mass mass must remain the same. But it would be useful. Really thick steel door? Say hello to a bunch of steel cards. Bullet coming your way? Shift it mid-air to be horribly designed and have a huge amount of drag, so that it falls. Someone swinging a sword at you? Turn it into a thin pole that doesn't even have a grip in the same place so they drop it.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2009, 06:02:47 pm »

The ability to get my homework done on time...

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2009, 06:16:56 pm »

The ability to get my homework done on time...
That actually isn't too hard . . . getting it done fast, though, now that would be amazing.

I sometimes wish I was that kid who did algebra at age five . . . for fun.  Instead I've got ADHD and a cognitive disorder.
Just so I remember

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2009, 06:17:19 pm »

Spontaneous metling and reforging of metals. Not like alchemy where a lead pipe turns into a huge steel cannon.  The metal stays the same, total mass mass must remain the same. But it would be useful. Really thick steel door? Say hello to a bunch of steel cards. Bullet coming your way? Shift it mid-air to be horribly designed and have a huge amount of drag, so that it falls. Someone swinging a sword at you? Turn it into a thin pole that doesn't even have a grip in the same place so they drop it.
Or simultaneously sharpening the sword and making it upside-down, making them hold the blade in their hand.

Superpower the world needs: Common Sense.
 So goddam rare it's a superpower.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2009, 10:55:17 pm »

The ability to make anyone cry.  Perfect knowledge of their innermost traumas.  You'd be an unstoppable supervillian.

For instance:

Generic superhero:  "Stop, fiend!"
You:  "Your father killed the family dog.  There is no farm."
GS:  "Sniff... Fluffy!  WHY?!"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8