Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: gibbed tweak's tile edit question...  (Read 804 times)

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
gibbed tweak's tile edit question...
« on: May 03, 2009, 07:33:09 pm »

ok, so... i am trying to use it to alter stone tiles. i've figured out how to make lava, and build something next to it and it will flow out.

the question is, how do i change the properties of the stone of a tile. namely, i want to change the actual type of stone in a tile (as in, change andesite to diamond, or adamantite, or hematite, etc).

how do i do this??? is it impossible? according to wiki, you can change any property of a tile set. is it lying to me, or is there some other guide i do not know of?

if it helps, i am running a 40d version, though i do not know which 40d version.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: gibbed tweak's tile edit question...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 07:55:07 pm »

On the first screen of tile edit, namely the top option, the 4 numbers/letters there represent the type of tile it is.
You'd have to find the numbers for whatever you want to change it to, of course.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 07:59:33 pm »

according to wiki, you can change any property of a tile set. is it lying to me, or is there some other guide i do not know of?
Tile sets are the games ascii graphics.  They are the .png files inside data/art.

But hypothetically you can alter a tile type to the extent that you can get yourself adamantine in the plains without getting the King.  I have never managed this, though; only heard of it.  I've never seen any definitive evidence of it being done.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 08:11:59 pm »

On the first screen of tile edit, namely the top option, the 4 numbers/letters there represent the type of tile it is.
You'd have to find the numbers for whatever you want to change it to, of course.

hey smew! so...i take it no one has put together a guide for all stone type combos?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 08:51:30 pm »

I think there are some incomplete and outdated ones on the wiki, try looking on tileedits page. :)

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 09:57:19 pm »

arggggh no type codes.... i guess i will try random numbers (?). i see massive faults in my future...

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 10:12:06 pm »

Well, if I find any diamond clusters I'll tell you!

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 10:20:52 pm »

hahaha ok, since i do not understand what rick means with the hexadecimal chart, i've tried changing things in the "designation" tab, mainly the last 2 numbers, biome and geo layer. changes sand to red sand, or loamy sand, but not what it is. so i've tried selecting an unmined gem tile, and changing the "type" code in the general tab. nothing. i don't know what else to try. any coders on?

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 05:42:06 am »

I am, indecentally, and I've build a small program that reads DF memory and draws the levels as 2D images, but sofar I've only managed to discover actual terrain (so I can draw stone, empty space, water and lava) but not minerals. As you can see they're stored separately from that information.