Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 142480 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #345 on: July 19, 2009, 08:14:17 pm »

I'm thinkin' 9.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #346 on: July 19, 2009, 08:41:09 pm »

900?
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 19, 2009, 08:43:31 pm »

No, I won't.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 19, 2009, 10:14:22 pm »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 19, 2009, 10:48:58 pm »

Wow, that's like at least 100 roles.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #350 on: July 20, 2009, 07:48:17 am »

hey... something else I didn't like about last games...

Flavour musn't give that much information in my opinion.

Or at least, it must be added in the rules so we know what type of information means what.  I had to ask meph if I would know who had attacked me or not if I was a townie (as a dopp, I could not be attacked by other dopps).

Too much flavour information can work wonders to know exactly what happened closing the amount of possibilities for scum.

Exterminators operator was a wonderful addition for the balance of the game.  Now the exterminator actually has a chance to win the game (Provided that dopps don't screw him over like we did :P)

“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 20, 2009, 10:18:58 am »

Meph.... would you be mad if I call for an MC right from the get go in the next game?

I maintain that the game is breakable if you do so...

what's the current normal-townie-or-common-dopp vs PR rate?

That might be a bit annoying, but I don't know that I'd stop it. Hmm...we could go with webadict's suggestion, and allow for 2 of each role on each side. That would make MC much less powerful, since you wouldn't be able to find dopp-townie pairs as easily.

Pretty variable. Depends a lot on how many normal dopps the program decides to start with and how powerful the PRs are that it gives people. Usually somewhere between 1-3 townies and 1 or 2 normal dopps, though.

I'm going to be messing with my program today to deal with the new role situations though, so I might tweak that a bit. We'll see.

Quote from: chaoticjosh
and I take it that since players that are abducted in this fashion are still able to get back into the game (since if the scientist dies, the players are released), a player that is abducted won't have their role and alignment won't be revealed, is that right?

Also, where would he go in the priority schema? At the same time as the dopp seeker or at the same time as a regular nightkill?

I kinda like this, as it also makes it tough for a survivor alien to claim, since if a scientist is around, then he can just snatch him up without worry.

Correct, Race/Role will not be revealed for abducted players until the Scientist leaves or a Plasma bomb takes them all out.

Since it's an abduction, it'll go with the dopp seeker's abduction.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 20, 2009, 10:20:01 am »

hey... something else I didn't like about last games...

Flavour musn't give that much information in my opinion.

Or at least, it must be added in the rules so we know what type of information means what.  I had to ask meph if I would know who had attacked me or not if I was a townie (as a dopp, I could not be attacked by other dopps).

Too much flavour information can work wonders to know exactly what happened closing the amount of possibilities for scum.

What Flavour did you think gave too much away? I've tried to keep things so that you can tell what kind of scum is out there without giving any clues as to who the scum is. Did I give away too much at some point?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 20, 2009, 10:25:31 am »

Current Role inclusion Votes:

Spoilered for size.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Since I haven't gotten any more votes for roles, I'm going to start doing write-ups based on what I've gotten here. I may not include all of these in the official rules yet, since some of them may need some pondering. But I'll include those that I've got a good handle on (like the Cultists and the Alien Scientist), and at least group the others into Include/Not Include groups.
Come play Mafia with us!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #354 on: July 20, 2009, 10:26:09 am »

nah... but knowing stuff like if you were attacked and stuff like that limits fake claims a GREAT deal...

“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #355 on: July 20, 2009, 11:19:04 am »

I like the idea of anything that would slightly weaken the ability to say (for example).
"There are two reporters, one of them must be a dopp"

To me, this seems to strain the suspension of disbelief a bit (yes, I realize that it's only a game).  Why couldn't there be two town reporters or two dopp reporters?  Maybe the program could be adjusted with some sort curve so that it's far more likely to have 0 or 1 of a role per side, but possible to have more.  (1/x-ish)

I think it might strengthen the dopps a bit.  Couldn't hurt too much as the town has been winning most games.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #356 on: July 20, 2009, 11:19:59 am »

A random idea that came to me earlier today (it might already exist, but I'm not aware of it).  It's probably far too late to put this in round 7, but if it appeals to people, we could try for a later round.  (And yes, I realize that I'm adding to the crazy number of roles.  I don't really think that's a bad thing though.)

Either a psychic (or other) role or a scientist gadget that acts like a bug (the recording kind).  Any PMs sent to or from that player are forwarded on to the bugs owner.

Notes (for what I have so far):
- Psychic version can be blocked as other psychic abilities
- Gadget version can be blocked as other gadgets (can gadgets be blocked?)
- Maybe, too weaken, you cannot listen in to two consecutive time periods (day/night)
- Might be possible to be found out (random chance each day)

Basically, I'm looking for something that can vaguely mess with the formation of trusted groups, because information (such as keywords given to prove mediums before death, etc) may not necessarily be private.

Granted, this would require a small bit more work for the GM, but it seemed interesting enough to bring up here.

Comments? Concerns?

PS: Yes, I realize that I just posted two decently sized messages back to back.  But I just signed on and wanted to keep them separate.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 20, 2009, 11:22:12 am »

Take a look at the Watcher role in the suggested roles section on page 1. It's designed to do something like what you want, although it doesn't get the content of the messages.
Come play Mafia with us!

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #358 on: July 20, 2009, 11:34:02 am »

Sorry I missed that, it was down at the bottom of not the first post.

Yeah, it does look similar, although I think the two ideas might be different enough.

The Snoop (random name for what I was thinking) can only target a single person but gets more information.  The Watcher gets more general information about everyone (if I read it correctly).

Although, in hindsight, we might already have enough roles if I couldn't find the Watcher the first time around.  :-D

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 20, 2009, 04:21:24 pm »

Ok, the revised rule configuration is up. Take a look at it and let me know what you think!
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 117