Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 142954 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #1470 on: March 01, 2011, 12:22:48 pm »

Can the script simply give the dopps one less teammate if they get a vig, or is the dopp count fairly static?

Does the Spore Spreader also have a survivor wincon, or must he be lynched?  Thematically, it'd seem that surviving would be fine, but considering gameplay that might make the role too easy.  Otherwise, I like the change.  Assuming the Spreader gets lynched, does he still win if neither carrier lives?  If so, it's like an oddball combo of jester, survivor, and cult in a good way.

Dopp Berserker?  Gets a one shot kill, but loses vote (or some other penalty) next day?  Could make it bypass protection for fun.

I like the idea of varied goals for the Xenozoologist.  Right now, they can negotiate with the town fairly easily.  Giving them the possibility of more anti-town goals could make that a harder prospect.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: March 01, 2011, 12:27:24 pm »

I guess the carriers have to survive. For procreation, ya know. *g*

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: March 01, 2011, 01:08:54 pm »

Can the script simply give the dopps one less teammate if they get a vig, or is the dopp count fairly static?

Does the Spore Spreader also have a survivor wincon, or must he be lynched?  Thematically, it'd seem that surviving would be fine, but considering gameplay that might make the role too easy.  Otherwise, I like the change.  Assuming the Spreader gets lynched, does he still win if neither carrier lives?  If so, it's like an oddball combo of jester, survivor, and cult in a good way.

Dopp Berserker?  Gets a one shot kill, but loses vote (or some other penalty) next day?  Could make it bypass protection for fun.

I like the idea of varied goals for the Xenozoologist.  Right now, they can negotiate with the town fairly easily.  Giving them the possibility of more anti-town goals could make that a harder prospect.

Currently, no, it can't do that. It'd be a pretty major reworking to add that in, since roles are constantly changing as it tries to find a balance. It'd be easier for me to simply tell it that there has to be a non-role dopp for a vig to exist and then just swap that player to town/alien manually.

I think the Spore Spreader should be a pure jester, so he wins if and only if he gets lynched. Flavor-wise it could be at the end of its life-cycle and needs to die around lots of potential hosts soon. So as long as he gets lynched he wins. The Carriers are sort of their own team at that point. They just get created by the SS.

I kind of like the One-shot unstoppable kill idea. Probably doesn't need a drawback to be balanced since it's a one-shot. If it does get one it'll probably be that it HAS to perform both night-kills that night, which makes him more vulnerable to PWVs and tracking. Plus, if he gets blocked the dopps do no kills that night. Hmmm...I kind of like those ideas. Might make two varieties. One that just gets a one-shot kill and one that has the one-shot unstoppable kill but has the drawback.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: March 01, 2011, 01:14:32 pm »

I think that'd help balance, though the fact that the number of dopps are known might be a giveaway.  I understand if it's a lot of work, but say for a 16 player game, 5 wimp dopps or 3 super dopps would be an interesting change, though the surprise is lost if the scum count is announced.  See Vote Mafia 7- everyone thought there were three scum, but in reality there were two very strong scum.

Fair enough re spreader.  Do the carriers know each other?

I do like the "Super killer does both kills" idea.  Very vulnerable to tracking, very helped by protection.  Making it one shot kind of negates the idea of making it more interesting for combat camo.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: March 01, 2011, 01:22:06 pm »

The dopps already have the option of an unblockable one shot nightkill, it's called a Military Scientist. And it's already more useful because it doesn't automatically implicate the dopps.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: March 01, 2011, 01:32:38 pm »

The dopps already have the option of an unblockable one shot nightkill, it's called a Military Scientist. And it's already more useful because it doesn't automatically implicate the dopps.

Yes, and the Military Scientist would have a higher weight. I can also have my script restrict things so that you can't have more than one killer on the dopp team. So that's fine, it's just more options.

The fact that it's a one-shot kill does make the Dopp kill camo less useful. But I think it'd still be more useful than it is currently. And, of course, Combat Camo is more geared towards a Vig claim anyways. The other types are just in there to provide the Exterminator more options in case it comes in handy.

On the Spore Carriers...I don't think they'd know who each other is. Although it's easy enough to do either way. Might be too powerful having TWO survivors who know who each other are. Especially since you could have 1 be a former dopp and the other town. It'd make it too easy to make deals with either side and unbalance things.

Hmmm. Actually...that's a problem with having a former dopp at all. It'd be easy for him to betray the dopps to the town in exchange for protection. Might have to add in a no-betrayal clause to them. Have it so that they get mod-killed if they betray the dopps. Flavor-wise that's easy, just have something in the dopps psychic connection that kills them if they try that, even if the individual is no longer truly aligned with the rest of the dopps.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #1476 on: March 01, 2011, 01:36:22 pm »

Or make the Survivor condition dependent on which team wins.  A former Dopp has to be alive *and* the Dopps win, a former Townie has to be alive *and* the town wins. Along with no direct communication.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: March 01, 2011, 01:42:55 pm »

I think that'd help balance, though the fact that the number of dopps are known might be a giveaway.  I understand if it's a lot of work, but say for a 16 player game, 5 wimp dopps or 3 super dopps would be an interesting change, though the surprise is lost if the scum count is announced.  See Vote Mafia 7- everyone thought there were three scum, but in reality there were two very strong scum.
I think 5 dopps out of 16 players would probably win easily even if they were all vanilla.  Town would have to get 5 lynches right out of 7.  The scum team does get much stronger with each additional member (even huge, 20+ games never really have more than 5 on one team).

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: March 01, 2011, 01:44:26 pm »

What about Aliens?

I'd say just turn a former dopp into a mafia-ally.  Town converts can remain a survivor.  Flavorwise, the town would still think the former dopp is a real dopp and would kill him.

Leaf:  Probably right.  To get 5 on a team in a 16 man game, you'd need to restrict their night kill, which would completely break the game.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: March 01, 2011, 01:54:42 pm »

Vigs are by definition a town-sided killing role. Mafia has already got one. So, I'm voting for the all-vigs-are-town. To make it less unfair, you could make flavors of vig kill be the same as dopp or exty kill.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: March 01, 2011, 04:10:59 pm »

Vigs are by definition a town-sided killing role. Mafia has already got one. So, I'm voting for the all-vigs-are-town. To make it less unfair, you could make flavors of vig kill be the same as dopp or exty kill.

The problem with this is that whoever claims vig instantly becomes confirmed not-dopp. It's more than a bit unbalancing.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: March 01, 2011, 04:22:06 pm »

Well, no. Claims can be lies, ya know.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #1482 on: March 01, 2011, 04:31:45 pm »

But this one is provable. Tell someone ahead of time who you're going to kill and then follow through. Either get protected in the night or don't publically claim until you've already set this up.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: March 01, 2011, 04:32:41 pm »

Ah.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: March 01, 2011, 04:47:43 pm »

Plus Detectives check Roles. So an all-town role means a Detective would get both a Race and Role result, which is broken.

Pondering different types of Xenozoologists.

1) Zoologist: Current version. Must grab 1 non-psychic human, 1 psychic human, 1 Doppelganger, and 1 Alien
2) Tech Auditor: Goal is to determine how technologically advanced humans are getting. Must grab 2 different types of scientist, town or dopp.
3) Psychic Auditor: Goal is to determine how psychically advanced humans are getting. Must grab 3 different types of Psionic characters.
4) Military Auditor: Goal is to analyze human's potential as soldiers. Must capture a violent human (PWV, Vig, Vengeful Guard).
5) Doppelganger Analyst: Goal is to acquire doppelgangers for study. Must capture two doppelgangers.

Thoughts? I'd like to have at least 1 neutral scientist, 1 pro-town and 1 anti-town. With no way to determine what the scientist is really doing it'll make deals much harder.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 117