Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to play with a bigger map than the 257x257  (Read 3171 times)

jomen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to play with a bigger map than the 257x257
« on: April 29, 2009, 02:21:46 pm »

Hello everybody

Is it possible to change manually the map size ?

I tried to change Worldgen.txt in the Data/Init folder. But it doesn't seems to works  :-[.

Pure_W

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to play with a bigger map than the 257x257
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:42:25 pm »

Wait till Toady makes the worlds bigger?

I'm hoping that will be next/in a few releases!

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:53:36 pm »

It is possible by memory editing. Just that you need the correct programs and all, like Cheat Engine.

Mind though, that CE is much more than just a Cheating prog. It is a Memory editor, Hex editor, Dissassembler and more all in one. I made a No-CD crack of Warcraft 3 with it once. Quite fun.

EDIT: Seems I haven't really said enough about this. It's generally about changing the setting the game gets, that is 257. Seek up address, change number or make a code inject, afterwards happy worldgen with 1000x1000 size and from 2 to 3 fps. Or less.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:01:25 pm by BigFatDwarf »
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

jomen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 02:45:11 pm »

Indeed it works !

You can make a very huge map ... but the game freeze.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 03:06:46 pm »

Well, yes, it is a bit unstable then. But it shouldn't freeze everytime. Most of the times it works for me. Anyway, the smaller the numbers are, the bigger the chance that it will freeze or crash. Plus an added chance of freeze if you use Vista, since that OS is very unsupportive towards DF and Memory Editors.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 03:27:41 am »

Go Vista!

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 06:54:16 am »

Go Vista!

Vista? Go XP Pro. It's the best OS around.

Vista is slow and unsupportive, Mac is just plain shit and nothing works there, and Linux...well, Linux is a good go, can also emulate Windows games, but it's a bit slower then.

So I reccomend Win XP Pro, since almost everything written for it works, and it's fast.

Almost forgot a little fact about Vista. It's a corporate nightmare. It blocks Memory editors, Software pirates are totally dead in it. Do you really wanna use something that disallowes you to use that ''free'' stuff you get offa torrents?

There are a lot of other OS around, but of course, they aren't famous because they aren't worth explaining.

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 09:15:17 am »

Go Vista!

Vista is slow and unsupportive, Mac is just plain shit and nothing works there, and Linux...well, Linux is a good go, can also emulate Windows games, but it's a bit slower then.

So I reccomend Win XP Pro, since almost everything written for it works, and it's fast.

Almost forgot a little fact about Vista. It's a corporate nightmare. It blocks Memory editors, Software pirates are totally dead in it. Do you really wanna use something that disallowes you to use that ''free'' stuff you get offa torrents?

There are a lot of other OS around, but of course, they aren't famous because they aren't worth explaining.

I really don't know where you got that info. I've been using vista for several months now and, after you deactivate some of its stupid features, it's pretty much win XP with a nicer wrapping, and the occasional explorer crash when you try to open a jpg file.

There's nothing I could do with XP that I can't do with vista now.

Last thing, I'm not trying to praise Vista. It's really a failure, considering it doesn't contribute in any significant way compared to Xp. It's just not that bad (if you have tons of RAM, that is).

To the subject, though, what is the point in playing in such a huge world?

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 11:52:14 am »

Gah, the normal 257x257 can take long enough to make already..... I personally would have no reason to make bigger maps, since the worlds are pretty much large enough for anything i need already

But it would be coll to make a extra super large world and just try to walk the whole way......traveling or not, would take forever

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 01:28:46 pm »

Go Vista!

I really don't know where you got that info. I've been using vista for several months now and, after you deactivate some of its stupid features, it's pretty much win XP with a nicer wrapping

Well said, and it's completely true. Just 1 word: VLITE  ;)

tardface

• Escaped Lunatic
  • hrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 03:32:35 pm »

It blocks Memory editors
No, it doesn't.

QED.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 03:56:55 pm »

It blocks Memory editors
No, it doesn't.

QED.

Ok. It blocks all the USEFUL Memory editors that support Code injection and dissasembler or at least hinders them in a way. Only that it's hard to detect. Ever had your Memory editor sudenly crash? Or it's ''target'' crashed?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 09:18:54 pm »

Back on topic:

I thought the game needed all its sizes to be (2^N)+1 in order for its special algorithms to work.  So 257, 513, 1025, 2049, 4097, etc.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 12:41:29 am »

Ok. It blocks all the USEFUL Memory editors that support Code injection and dissasembler or at least hinders them in a way. Only that it's hard to detect. Ever had your Memory editor sudenly crash? Or it's ''target'' crashed?

More info please?

My utilities work by raw memory patching or by a combo of that and memory injection.

The only Vista-related problems that have been reported to me have been caused by the address-space randomization that Vista uses to make shellcode exploits harder.  While one can no longer assume that a program is loaded at 0x401000, Vista supports API calls that tell where it is loaded.

Random crashing has not been reported.

Back on topic: possibly.  One of the best ways to build random but weighted terrain is with a mesh which is iteratively made finer-grained by subdivision.  The natural units to subdivide are of course powers of 2.

But Toady seems to be a belt-and-suspenders coder, careful to handle "can't happen" cases.  So I wouldn't be surprised if the game will, for sizes != 2n+1, notice that pieces the mesh dont have room to divide, and skip them.

tardface

• Escaped Lunatic
  • hrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 03:15:47 am »

It blocks Memory editors
No, it doesn't.

QED.

Back away from topic:
Nope. Everything works perfectly.
Pages: [1] 2