Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 255174 times)

small lawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #255 on: May 30, 2009, 04:29:50 pm »

We all know how he's going to die though...
Quiet non-believer!

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 30, 2009, 05:13:58 pm »

We all know how he's going to die though...

He's never going to die. Armok is going to show up and induct him directly into the Dwarvish Pantheon as Morul, The Many-Armed Architect of Masterfully-Crafted Wonders. He's the god of laboring, walking around, fish extraction, and floodgates (because somebody has to be). Morul usually takes the form of a fluffy wambler.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 05:29:17 pm by Ubiq »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 30, 2009, 06:08:37 pm »

Dying will be left as an exercise for the community.

(And god of fish-extraction is probably right since I don't think any dwarf has previously achieved that milestone)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 30, 2009, 10:59:44 pm »

He lacks liar which I only ever see on children.

I think the dwarf has to have the "Believes that some deception is necessary in relationships with others" personality tag (or the next ones down).  Only time I've seen it appear is on dwarfs with some variation on those.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 31, 2009, 12:45:36 am »

Hmm. Looking through, it doesn't look like any of my other starting 7 has the right tag for liar. In fact it doesn't seem to be common at all - I've only found one dwarf in the fortress with it (out of 73)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 31, 2009, 01:24:33 am »

Make a weapon use the Liar skill?

Interpret that in character as you may...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 31, 2009, 01:26:19 am »

I'm putting that under the 3rd category of 'Make Morul Legendary, no matter the means or rationale'. So yes, a crossbow that shoots liar will be attempted.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #262 on: May 31, 2009, 02:40:33 am »

I'm putting that under the 3rd category of 'Make Morul Legendary, no matter the means or rationale'. So yes, a crossbow that shoots liar will be attempted.
A rocket launcher that shoots rocket lawnchairs that shoot flaming mouths that scream words filled with lies and deceit.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 31, 2009, 05:42:18 am »

Still tryinng to imagine that.  Sounds awesome.

Remember your druid knife.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 01, 2009, 04:24:10 am »

This is the result of epic throwing skill.

http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff1300/fc01269.htm
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 04:25:48 am by Nightwind »
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 01, 2009, 08:22:05 am »

He doesn't die. Even if the fortress falls to a tantrum spiral, Morul won't die. He'll either be a survivor, or he'll go berserk and kill EVERYONE ELSE.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 01, 2009, 08:42:29 am »

You should really upload this map after you're done with him. So much fun can be had with a dwarf that über lol

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 01, 2009, 06:00:04 pm »

You should really upload this map after you're done with him. So much fun can be had with a dwarf that über lol
Pay attention. He is already doing that. Twice.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 01, 2009, 07:10:33 pm »

Three times, with the impossible jobs modded in....
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 01, 2009, 09:10:52 pm »

Ok, a quick update (life has gotten a little busy, but progress is still being made, just slowly).

Armor, weapons, and clothing are done. Morul has only taken socks, dress, and trousers (masterwork, adamantine) and a 3rd exceptional sock before I had time to forbid it. I'm assuming the 3rd sock is for his schlong, on account of his general awesomeness. I had temp turned off, and have turned it back on in the hopes I can coax him to pick up some more clothing, but this map doesn't freeze even with temp on, so perhaps that's all he'll wear.

He's also made a masterwork adamantine statue encrusted with every gem plus shell and bone, and studded with every kind of metal (value, 205,300) that will go in his suite.

He's now at grand master swimmer and is back in the tank, so he should be legendary when he emerges. At that point I think it's time to start on military.

As for the fortress, the last level (barracks) is dug out and walls going in. I finally figured out how to handle burying my dwarves (I've been extremely negligent on this one). The fortress has a central + shaped open-air courtyard that leads down to the bottomless pit. In the center of the courtyard is a soap staircase and landing with the dining areas and with alternating floating glass catwalks to the fortress itself. The fortress has 4 rooms on each level that overlook the courtyard that are getting glass windows so dwarves can look out into the pit and I've suspended a 1x1 platform from the courtyard side of the window which holds the coffin. It's all a bit unconventional and inefficient.

The dwarves are also collecting cave spider webs since Morul has exterminated all of the spiders. There's almost 8,000 webs around the chasm, and we're going to put those to use. It'll take forever. They're still moving things about so that anyone who picks up the map won't go completely insane trying to figure out what is where.

The king hasn't arrived yet, but probably will soon since we've tapped the adamantine. I was *very* cautious and haven't mined much out because I didn't want to release the goodies until Morul was ready. I've built a repeater that I intend to hook to spike traps on the long hallway leading to the HFS as part of an experiment. I'll leave it to the community to turn it on to see if it's an effective defense tool for the playthings.

I've decided that I won't even attempt the moat until I upload all the maps. I don't want to saddle everyone with my idiotic and quite likely to fail plans for a massive magma moat that I'm not sure will fill due to evaporation.

One problem I haven't yet figured out how to fix is that I have a number of miners with ichor on them from when they tapped the magma pipe with temp off. I'd like to turn temp back on (I mean, magma is only 5% as fun without the temp) but I don't know how to clean my guys off. Morul is swimming around in 6/7 and 7/7 water and is still covered head to toe in everything you can imagine, so that isn't working. Thoughts?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 71