Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 255148 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #285 on: June 02, 2009, 02:55:40 pm »

He can gain one more Legendary skill, and can still be used for the aforementioned "challenges".

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 02, 2009, 03:21:04 pm »

Well, actually, he could hunt using any weapon, and he would get that weapon experiance. And he's fast enough to get into melee with any animal running away...

Supreme Military Dwarf With Civilian Powers!!! (SMDWCP!!!)
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #287 on: June 02, 2009, 05:30:22 pm »

Yes, my understanding is that activation for the military is a separate thing. Skills don't automatically draft someone. Once you activate them, it's permanent, however.
Well actually, the activation isn't permanent unless they gain a weapon skill while activated.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 02, 2009, 06:08:28 pm »

So, if you get to level 25 in all weapon skills through painful tedious hunting, your reward will be the ability to activate AND deactivate the most effective dwarven fighter mathematically possible?  :o
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 02, 2009, 06:14:07 pm »

So, if you get to level 25 in all weapon skills through painful tedious hunting, your reward will be the ability to activate AND deactivate the most effective dwarven fighter mathematically possible?  :o

No, as soon as you activate him, he becomes a champion.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #290 on: June 02, 2009, 06:20:02 pm »

Yes, my understanding is that activation for the military is a separate thing. Skills don't automatically draft someone. Once you activate them, it's permanent, however.
Well actually, the activation isn't permanent unless they gain a weapon skill while activated.

No, as soon as you activate him, he becomes a champion.

two different view! who is right? time to test this little problem with implied cheating!

and the results are that if you have a legendary crossbow user and activate him he does not become a hero! this means the act of being a hero and of being a champion is connected to the actual leveling of the dwarf and not actually being at that level so as long as non-military when leveled you can have the most kick a-- dwarf ever.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 06:30:06 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 02, 2009, 06:30:34 pm »

That's good to know, but it might be difficult to get Morul around as a hunter. I suppose the 'lever assigned only to Morul connected to nothing outside the gates' might work for sieges.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #292 on: June 02, 2009, 06:32:08 pm »

That's good to know, but it might be difficult to get Morul around as a hunter. I suppose the 'lever assigned only to Morul connected to nothing outside the gates' might work for sieges.
as long as he is not military and does not fight you can have him drafted all you want as long as you don't mind the unhappy thoughts ;D
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 02, 2009, 08:50:05 pm »

Nah, that's easy. The hunting arena which is 8 fully excavated embark tiles has food, booze, a bed, table, etc. I just send him down there and lock him in and walk away for a year. The animals would need several repopulation cycles to get him through all of the skills, however, especially shield/armor, but the current setup is designed to do this kind of thing.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 03, 2009, 12:08:00 am »

Ok, Morul is a legendary swimmer and is now equipped with masterwork adamantine armor and masterwork adamantine spear and training down in the hunting arena. It's going much slower than I expected. He's gotten 200 more kills doing this and is only novice speardwarf. Basically he walks up to a horse, touches it, and it dies. Walks up to a goat, touches it, and it dies. Walks up to a macaque, touches it, and it dies. He's not even gotten a stuck spear yet. Walks up to another horse, touches it, and it dies.

I haven't had an orc siege in 2 years and am getting a little worried that they've gotten shy. But if they return, I think I'm going to have to just turn Morul loose on them.

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 03, 2009, 01:04:39 am »

You should give him the crappiest weapon for leveling up, so that it takes more than one strike to kill whatever he is hunting.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 03, 2009, 02:09:40 am »

You should give him the crappiest weapon for leveling up, so that it takes more than one strike to kill whatever he is hunting.

It probably wouldn't change anything.  His strength is so high he could probably punch enemys' entrails out in one hit.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #297 on: June 03, 2009, 02:12:27 am »

ah but if it was a silver fist that would only be half the entrails!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 03, 2009, 02:14:14 am »

Basically he walks up to a horse, touches it, and it dies. Walks up to a goat, touches it, and it dies. Walks up to a macaque, touches it, and it dies. He's not even gotten a stuck spear yet. Walks up to another horse, touches it, and it dies.

You need to give him standard, no-quality silver weapons.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 03, 2009, 07:37:00 am »

You could always add damage block to the animals or cut the damage of a spear to 1 or both.  Consider it padding your spear for training.  Not sure how much modding you want to do in this challange though.  I wouldn't consider that too cheaty as you are actually making his task harder.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 71