Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War in my world, please!  (Read 1458 times)

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
War in my world, please!
« on: April 28, 2009, 11:54:04 am »

Is there any way to mod a save to put another civilization at war with mine?

Failing that, is there a way to increase the odds of another civilization being at war with mine when I generate a new world?  I'd like to actually face combat from something other than goblins and kobolds, and the orcs in the orc mod sent me a freaking caravan, so they're no help how they are.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Re: War in my world, please!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 12:00:07 pm »

Attack their caravans.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 12:02:01 pm »

Attack their caravans.
I thought that just made them stop trading with you after enough losses.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 12:26:09 pm »

Make sure that they (the people you want to fight) have [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_CIV] rather than [CAN_SPEAK] or [INTELLIGENT]. That will force any civ to be permanently at war with everyone.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 12:26:45 pm »

attacking their caravans does nothing. Also, dwarves will never war with you.

Killing human guild representatives and elven diplomats is a good way if inciting violence. The best advice is the one above mine however, if you are genning new worlds

Otherwise: try the orc mod. It works wonders for sieges.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 12:30:49 pm »

Make sure that they (the people you want to fight) have [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_CIV] rather than [CAN_SPEAK] or [INTELLIGENT]. That will force any civ to be permanently at war with everyone.

Does this work on your orc mod, or do I just have to see what happens when I kill the orc merchants?

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 12:41:50 pm »

WAR IN OUR TIME!

Yeah, I'd rather like to get in more out-and-out brawls than I have lately. Recently-added Xelic menace notwithstanding.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 01:05:50 pm »

I believe I've heard something about getting two civs to war with each other due to religious problems.

I'm not entirely sure about how to do that, but if I were to guess, giving two civs opposing RELIGION_SPHERE and SPHERE_ALIGNMENT tokens would probably work.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:08:07 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 02:09:14 pm »

Does this work on your orc mod, or do I just have to see what happens when I kill the orc merchants?
It should be that way by default. Check the raws, especially if you were trying to add [CAN_SPEAK] after genning to get named orc invasions.
Try my orc mod!

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 02:14:42 pm »

It should be that way by default. Check the raws, especially if you were trying to add [CAN_SPEAK] after genning to get named orc invasions.
The default when I downloaded the mod had [INTELLIGENT], but not the other three, as far as I could find.

I don't know how they started a civilization when the [CAN_CIV] tag is missing, but I'm not all that good at modding, so maybe something else implies it?

Anyway, I've fixed it to work this way now, seeing how it goes.

Final note - this mod, plus the new version of Dig Deeper and the 'primative races' mod (that's the name, not my spelling of it), makes that Dwarf Heaven map fail to generate properly.  It's close, but not quite on.  Any idea how to get it right?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 04:53:09 pm »

The default when I downloaded the mod had [INTELLIGENT], but not the other three, as far as I could find.

I don't know how they started a civilization when the [CAN_CIV] tag is missing, but I'm not all that good at modding, so maybe something else implies it?

Anyway, I've fixed it to work this way now, seeing how it goes.

Final note - this mod, plus the new version of Dig Deeper and the 'primative races' mod (that's the name, not my spelling of it), makes that Dwarf Heaven map fail to generate properly.  It's close, but not quite on.  Any idea how to get it right?

Was it my orc mod? The current version definitely doesn't have [INTELLIGENT], and I can't think of a released version that might. [INTELLIGENT] implies [CAN_LEARN], [CAN_SPEAK], and [CAN_CIV] (it's a convenience tag), which is why they were civing without an explicit [CAN_CIV] tag.

Since the maps are generated randomly using seeds, and changing the raws changes the random, you unfortunately won't be able to use dwarf heaven. Normally, you'd regenerate using the same seed (and thus get the same "random" numbers), but adding things to the raws changes those numbers. For example, it has to place any new materials that Dig Deeper or Primitive Civs creates in the ground, which will affect erosion and such during world gen.
Try my orc mod!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 05:53:52 pm »

Even just adding a file that makes all economic can make the rock layers generate differently.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 02:21:06 am »

There is one good way to do this.

Gen a world then look for a war between your civ and the civ you want to siege you, re-gen the world but force it to stop during said war. Simple as that.

You might have to gen a few worlds mind you.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands