Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: really excighted about my first artifact  (Read 2446 times)

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
Re: really excighted about my first artifact
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 10:07:46 am »

You couldn't use the artifact door as the front door to a nobles room and have it count for room value, to please the noble, right?

Yes. Yes you could.

See that noble room? Wonder why there's an artifact millstone in it? Or an artifact floodgate? Wonder no longer.
マグマキッド

Wizardmon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 11:08:18 am »

My first artifact was a pigtail left sock that was worth over five times my entire fortress after five years of producing crafts.

It had 3 metals embedded into it as well as a picture of a platinum well in platinum.

It sat in my cloth workshop for several more years before a dwarf moved it onto the floor of his room, after that I think it caught fire from a flaming cat that was making it's rounds. I have yet to understand how the cat caught fire with no magma or fire spewing monsters on the map.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 11:20:50 am »

Yay!  My gemcrafter has started a mysterious construction (fey mood), for which he took 2 uncut sapphires, one lace agate and some puppy leather (I slaughtered it specially).  I hope for something good, lol.

Here it is:

"This is a sapphire cage.  All craftdwarfship of the highest quality.  This object is adorned with hanging rings of sapphire and dog leather and menaces with spikes of lace agate (wtf?).  On the item is an image of dwarves in sapphire.  The dwarves are labouring."

Value: 147,600
Total value of my fort: 281,955
Value of fort that isn't sapphire cage: 134,355

So, four questions:

1. Will the cage count as room goodness (ie will it make a room legendary?).  In which case, should I put it in my dining room to make everyone happy?
2. Will this trigger a huge wave of immigration?
3. If I decide to disassemble the cage, will it still be there?
4. What can I use my "Legendary Gem Cutter" for?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:27:11 am by Leafsnail »

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 12:02:51 pm »

1. Yes
2. depends on % value of fort
3. Yes
4. Often makes gem crafts instead of mearly cutting gems, leaving you with masterwork ruby crowns and the like

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 01:34:20 pm »

You couldn't use the artifact door as the front door to a nobles room and have it count for room value, to please the noble, right?
Yes. Yes you could.

Yes, I know you can put them IN a room to make him happy.
I meant, if I make the door of the room an artifact door, would that count as "inside" or "outside" the room in question.

But I like that suggestion up there...

make the noble room a big square with the artifact door in the center.  The walls are a + shape around it, deviding the room into 4 smaller rooms, each a required noble room.

Would that setup make the artifact door in the center count FOUR TIMES for noble joy, or get ignored 4 times as it is outside the rooms?
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 02:19:11 pm »

It will require one of the sides to be constructed wall so your dwarf can step while building it, but yes it will count for room value, but I think he can only admire his compleatly sublime door once for it all.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 04:19:51 pm »

So, four questions:

1. Will the cage count as room goodness (ie will it make a room legendary?).  In which case, should I put it in my dining room to make everyone happy?
2. Will this trigger a huge wave of immigration?
3. If I decide to disassemble the cage, will it still be there?
4. What can I use my "Legendary Gem Cutter" for?

1: Yes. Or, for Hard Mode, capture something in it and make it an epic zoo.
2: If by immigration you mean goblin siege then yes. They are going to immigrate the crap out of you.
3: They should take it to a stockpile or leave it lying around. Don't know if dwarfs will admire it if it's not placed though. (?)
4: Cutting some legendary-ass gems. Or make him a janitor, which I do because I despise moody jewelers (usually I don't get anything so cool as a sapphire cage).

It will require one of the sides to be constructed wall so your dwarf can step while building it, but yes it will count for room value, but I think he can only admire his compleatly sublime door once for it all.
Yeah, I don't think the happy thoughts from a single item stack, so you'll still just get a single happy thought when he see's the door. But it will add to the value of all the rooms.

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 09:57:37 pm »

Hold on a second. I could have sworn that dwarves hold on to their artifacts until they lose them somehow; usually, losing it involves death or massive disrobing (though not always the disrobing one :P). How are you using those artifacts, unless I'm thinking of an outdated version? :-\
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 01:16:28 am »

They used to hang on to them until death, but in the latest version they'll leave artifacts behind to be used as you see fit.
Pages: 1 [2]