Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Thank you again, Toady One!  (Read 3870 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Thank you again, Toady One!
« on: April 27, 2009, 04:52:31 pm »

I recently was trying to get a commercial game working, and I was reminded of something it is easy to forget; Dwarf Fortress just works. No registry entries, no CD keys, no huge Orwellian online installers like Steam or Impulse, no long hours with support trying to do something as simple as applying a single patch. No jumping thrugh hoops to prove you aren't a pirate- something that pirates never have to bother with.

Thanks for keeping it simple, and keeping it working. Let's hope others are watching and learning.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: Thank you again, Toady One!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 04:58:55 pm »

No jumping thrugh hoops to prove you aren't a pirate- something that pirates never have to bother with.
Yaaarrrrrr!!! Shiver me timbers. A pirates life be grand!

Thanks for keeping it simple, and keeping it working. Let's hope others are watching and learning.
And seconded.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 08:01:34 pm »

To be fair, when you're not charging people money for your program, you don't need security installers.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:22:41 pm »

Stardock's sales of Sins of a Solar Empire show that you don't need to add malware and viruses to commercial programs either. And then the publishers why PC gaming is largely dead save for independents.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:12:10 pm »

Yes. The only times I've had trouble with DF in any substantial way, I've been doing something 'fun' with it. Like draining a lake at 2 FPS. Or using tweak, or something.

Dwarf Fortress is high quality stuff. Keep up the good work!
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 09:31:47 pm »

Stardock's sales of Sins of a Solar Empire show that you don't need to add malware and viruses to commercial programs either.

Nope you just have to disguise this malware as a steam clone!
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:50:22 pm »

Stardock's sales of Sins of a Solar Empire show that you don't need to add malware and viruses to commercial programs either.

I downloaded GalCiv II once. Way back. Since there was no protection software on the disc originally, installation was a breeze, and since you can play the game without the CD in your drive, you didn't require a nocd hack either.

I bought the game. Not because it's particularly good or anything - it's decent - but because of how they dealt with piracy.
マグマキッド

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 12:35:09 am »

I downloaded GalCiv II once. Way back. Since there was no protection software on the disc originally, installation was a breeze, and since you can play the game without the CD in your drive, you didn't require a nocd hack either.

I bought the game. Not because it's particularly good or anything - it's decent - but because of how they dealt with piracy.

Meh I had some issues with impulse to say the least.
Steam Profile
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 12:37:49 am »

So did I. Of course, I never actually _used_ it after having found out it sucked royally - besides, my pirated copy still works. Which I've paid for. So technically a legal copy now.
マグマキッド

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 12:58:04 am »

. So technically a legal copy now.

Depends on what country you live in. There are some odd ones out there.
Magma is overrated.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 06:01:57 am »

Spore proved that stupidly high DRM = less buyer´s and it became the most pirated game of all time. While Sins on the other end has no real DRM, but does not get priated half as much since they keep improving the game.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 07:04:45 am »

Stardock's sales of Sins of a Solar Empire show that you don't need to add malware and viruses to commercial programs either. And then the publishers why PC gaming is largely dead save for independents.

Yep, Stardock is really decent. Thankfully not all companies are acting like EA... 8)

What do you mean on "others are watching and learning"? I think that the game developers should get rid of the copy protections [since some of those are very annoying -> they can mess up your OS even], and they should focus on cdkeys/online activation. Good example: Stardock's upcoming game - Elemental. You will have to buy the game, because Impulse will be required to play. You won't install any crappy copy protection softwares at all. Simple, but perfect.  :)

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 07:26:09 am »

Meh I had some issues with impulse to say the least.

So did I. Of course, I never actually _used_ it after having found out it sucked royally - besides, my pirated copy still works. Which I've paid for. So technically a legal copy now.

Huh. I've never had a problem with Impulse or Stardock Central. Installed it, logged in, downloaded my updates just fine. Besides, I'd rather have to mess around a little with patching than install SecuROM on my computer (which I'm sure is in there in droves due to other games such as Far Cry 2)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 08:31:37 am »

Huh. I've never had a problem with Impulse or Stardock Central. Installed it, logged in, downloaded my updates just fine. Besides, I'd rather have to mess around a little with patching than install SecuROM on my computer (which I'm sure is in there in droves due to other games such as Far Cry 2)

SDC was slow prone to freezing and stuff, but when it did work it was "O.K."

Impulse, the first time I used it took about an Hour and a half for Gal-civ2 to even start downloading.
Steam Profile

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 08:45:30 am »

SDC was slow prone to freezing and stuff, but when it did work it was "O.K."

Impulse, the first time I used it took about an Hour and a half for Gal-civ2 to even start downloading.

Huh. Haven't had the problem.
Besides, Impulse is only necessary for installing without a disc and updating.
Once you're updated you can clean Impulse off your system if you want to.
Quote from: Kryo
<kryo> just updates.
<kryo> same as SDC
(One of GalCiv's devs, from the official Stardock Gal Civ 2 IRC channel)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5