Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 394983 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #990 on: August 29, 2009, 06:06:00 am »

The more effort you put into killing something the harder it is to kill it when it comes back as a zombie...

If someone gets bitten and turns, they might kill someone by surprise, but they might just go down to an off-hand backhand. If you shoot someone with a gattling gun and they come back as a zombie then guns will be useless, you will probably need to chop off all their limbs. If Rasputin comes back as a zombie you will probably need some blessed kerosene and a flamethrower to subdue him before locking him in a vat of boiling holy water for a week, or The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch might work...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 29, 2009, 08:38:10 am »

Before we blame religion for the crusades, remember that those involved had poor relations since before their respective religions even came to be (back in the days of the Roman Empire).  Were they atheist, they probably would have come up with some other reason for the war, like some rumor of some important resource or something (news traveled poorly those days).  And while a lot of athiests might think "killing is bad" by what they determined to be moral, there are likely some that see no point in morality ("only live once, make it a bang" ideology.  Which isn't very idealistic).  And the latter as religious people would do the same thing, twisting religion into an excuse.  Your religion or political background or whatever does not determine what you think or what you do, it's what kind of person you are, normally determined in childhood (3-18) and decisions made throughout that time, that determines how you think and what you do, to an extent.  If you are the sort to start a Crusade, you are the sort to start a Great War of Expansion to Capture Valuable Resources and Weaken the Untrusted Easterners (who probably aren't that bad but you're both just early civilizations and have prejudices against the unknown).  Religion just changes the flavor of the war.

Theology is unimportant.  What matters is who and how advanced.  That is what shapes history.  People are people:  What they believe does not change them.

And RAM, please don't necro sensitive threads.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: August 29, 2009, 08:41:39 am »

Hear hear. About everything.

Though you can say one good thing about the existence of Christianity, even if you are a stolid atheist. Without it, we wouldn't have The Vicar of Dibley.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 29, 2009, 09:50:08 am »

I prefer Father Ted myself...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: August 29, 2009, 10:24:36 am »

"only live once, make it a bang" ideology.
You are talking more about Liberalism vs Conservatism than you are about religion vs atheism.  I'm a Conservative Atheist.  There are also Liberal Religious.  For the most part, religions teach conservative methods, but that doesn't mean all of them follow it or that Atheists in general are liberal.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: August 29, 2009, 10:37:37 am »

The whole Liberal or Conservative thing goes right over my head. In that I don't see why everything has to be classified as either Liberal or Conservative.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: August 29, 2009, 10:51:30 am »

The whole Liberal or Conservative thing goes right over my head. In that I don't see why everything has to be classified as either Liberal or Conservative.
Because one person will say that you can never have enough ketchup and another will say, you've had enough.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: August 29, 2009, 11:53:53 am »

It's been around since forever, it's not just a political issue. A person who is liberal is open to change, a person who is conservative sees the status quo as just fine.

That's an oversimplification, but compare: the Pharisees were the ultimate conservatives, while the Saducees were the ultimate liberals.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: August 29, 2009, 03:16:53 pm »

If you are the sort to start a Crusade, you are the sort to start a Great War of Expansion to Capture Valuable Resources and Weaken the Untrusted Easterners (who probably aren't that bad but you're both just early civilizations and have prejudices against the unknown).  Religion just changes the flavor of the war.

It may seem that way, and in fact it's what most religious people think or use as an excuse ("well if Religion wasn't there then man would find another reason! so religion isn't at fault"). But "war for the secular resource" wouldn't have such an easy time recruiting every single religious nut to their cause (Holy Crusade Batman!) going "HEATHENS!!! by the power of Vatican! I have the Power!" in fear that the Pope would excommunicate them for not participating. Kings would have to do it the old fashioned way: actually hire and train an army (who will be professional about it and not just mad with anti-heathen lust) instead of using the super Pope power of Point and Shout.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: August 29, 2009, 04:10:20 pm »

I don't think it's anything that you have to be religious to be conservative. I'm a religious liberal. It's just that Conservatives pick up the closest religion and bash everyone's head with it, in order to look cool. Whereas a lot of elite liberals pick up atheism to support some of the views that religions disagree with.

I dunno, I seem to enjoy the company of religious liberals and conservative atheists more. They're just less fanatical. You know, the atheists that refrain from random sex and casual abortion, and the religious people who don't see anything wrong with a concert with satanic lyrics.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: August 29, 2009, 04:40:28 pm »

Well, kids, what did we learn today?

Well, I'll start off.

The religious debates of atheism versus belief are steeped in history. Most likely (even there were no real records at that time) even our distant ancestors repeated this same question over and over again. Most likely they shouted, argued, punched each other, started scuffles, etc. etc. etc. In the end, maybe one or two of them died. Nothing big.

In time people spread out, making the world theirs. From bitter Siberia to the tip of Chile, people traveled and prospered. In the meantime, however, the debates continued. The ancient Egyptians had their religion mishmashed into a shadow of its former self, with alternate interpretations of gods and multiple gods doing the same thing; in a different time, the Jewish people were pushed out of their homeland of Israel. The Middle-East suffered under crusades put out by Europe intended to spread Christianity, and Europe itself was ravaged by witch hunts and plagues (which further spread blame and caused more witch hunts).

I'm no expert on this subject, but plenty of times many religions have come under siege by opposition. The shamanistic beliefs of Africa still continue, wispily, to drift about; Christianity prospers; Shinto is still very popular in Japan; Islam is gaining momentum; Buddhism, Hinduism, Native American nature spirits, and any that I have missed are still around. Atheism, too, is beginning to become a larger contender. Mythology is dead, yes; but it mostly died after the countries it was in were conquered or otherwise dehabilitated.

I see a trend: throughout history (with the possible exception of the Vikings, who converted to Christianity due to a bribe), many religious wars have been made. Many deaths due to religion have come into play. But what have they changed? The Crusades were largely unsuccessful; shamanism was essentially forced out of African hands (thus, was it really Christianity, a peace-loving religion, they were spreading?); Islamic and Jewish faiths still abound across the world; Buddhism and Hinduism still flourish in Asia and other sections of the globe.

Simply put, nothing really has changed with all this. It is still the same groups of people that worship the same things, and those that did change their minds were usually forced to by sword, gun, knife, or cannon. Unless there is action, nobody remains convinced. It is meaningless to argue with these kinds of things:nothing ever changes, and the only way they do - by war - is an idiotic thing because that's exactly what the religions (for the most part) are trying to AVOID. Speech has been unsuccessful on all modern fronts; a very evident source of that is in the forums on this very thread. Countless debates have been made; none of them have done a thing, and these kinds of scuffles still flare up.

Yes, I do know it's in your hearts to make people think the RIGHT thing, YOUR way, the way you've been taught and KNOW to be true. But this is going against the very heart of the goal of religion: peace. If you can't accept others for who they are - a selfish motive - what makes you say that you're any better than anyone else because your way is best? It's contradictory: if you like to worship something, then pat yourself on the back. If you don't, do likewise. Because raining hate and loathing on all the heretics/believers/barbaric horde (select appropriate) is only going to end up defeating the whole reason you worship.

Of course, nobody will learn to just be quiet and stop arguing because they're never going to get anything done. We wouldn't have had religious wars if that had been true. It's just that everyone thinks they're right and they worship the only true god and they have the best, most morally just system in the entire universe. It's selfish to be trying to push your faith on everyone else. It really is. And I don't know why I'm arguing this right now: of course I'm not going to change anything. I'm not deluding myself. Keep believing in whatever you believe in, but saying everyone else is wrong and you are right... once again, selfish.

Technically I don't fit into any of these categories - I'm agnostic - but I can say that we all just need to settle down and accept people for who they are.

So, did we find out the answer? What we learned from this thread? I'd say I did: throughout the hundreds and hundreds of posts, very little progress (in any direction) was made. It's - to be frank - pointless to say that you did anything. Because, overall, you could possibly have influenced one entire person.

I'd wish the arguments would stop, but even I'm not that naive. Seeing so much energy and vigor dedicated to one pointless subject when it can be channeled elsewhere with a thousand times the effectiveness is... saddening.
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: August 29, 2009, 05:04:48 pm »

And that's why I don't flame people based on religion. I actually try and shy away from it IRL.

(Because my grandparents would go apeshit if they knew I'm not Christian.)
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: August 29, 2009, 06:16:03 pm »

Yes, please listen to Glacial here.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: August 29, 2009, 06:20:03 pm »

He makes sense.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: August 29, 2009, 06:33:04 pm »

Politics make a bit more sense if you break left/right down by social and fiscal policy
social left is progressive and right traditionalist
fiscal left is for more government involvement in peoples life and right for less

Atheists and agnostics can follow either fiscal policy but generally aren't the ones screaming about homosexuality cheapening marriage or everything invented in the last 20 years causing immorality and are more likely to be social left.

Most political groups are both social and fiscal left or right but don't have to be, a good example is libertarianism thats fairly far social left and fiscal right.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 370