Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391861 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #4755 on: October 03, 2010, 07:51:57 am »

We are not arguing about the validity of Jack Chick's tracts.

We are arguing about whether or not he is:

a) Batshit Insane
b) Batshit SELF-PARODY AWESOME.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: October 03, 2010, 07:54:35 am »

You forgot the "Jack Chick isn't real, and is in fact a group of atheists trying to make christians look bad." theory.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: October 03, 2010, 09:47:43 am »

Could you imagine the flame war that would ignite if we got Jack Chick, Jack Thompson, and the Westboro Baptist Church on this site?

Lol, I think a lot of religious debates flame wars are about some people picking at a few complete imbeciles and deciding that everyone they represent is an idiot.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: October 03, 2010, 10:02:31 am »

Oh, no, no. I fully understand that there are some good people that have, for some reason, decided that listening to the above listed folks is a good idea.

I do, however, fully believe that the above listed should be removed from public perception entirely. I'd say wholesale slaughter, but that would make them martyrs, and I'll not have that.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: October 03, 2010, 12:32:17 pm »

Hell if an angel descended form heaven and beat me up I'd probably start believing in God too.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: October 03, 2010, 12:35:59 pm »

We are not arguing about the validity of Jack Chick's tracts.

We are arguing about whether or not he is:

a) Batshit Insane
b) Batshit SELF-PARODY AWESOME.

The first time i read a Jack Chick tract was about 8 years ago, after having it been handed to me by a friend.

That is way to much dedication to a parody.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: October 03, 2010, 01:48:11 pm »

8 years? Try 40.

Maybe more.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: October 03, 2010, 01:56:22 pm »

Yeah, Chick Publications (in addition to being an actual thing) has been around for a long time. Chick himself is 80-somthing, although most information on him is outdated due to his belief that people are trying to kill him for spreading "the truth".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: October 03, 2010, 01:58:44 pm »

Foolish mortals. I am god! .......or I'm just delutional and like to annoy people, either way.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: October 03, 2010, 02:34:42 pm »

Hell if an angel descended form heaven and beat me up I'd probably start believing in God too.

I'd start believing in him... and be very very pissed at him too...

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: October 03, 2010, 09:15:24 pm »

How can one form any perception of reality if one cannot accept or reject any concepts or ideas due to one being inherently subjective and biased?
Good question. Philosophers have tried to answer that for millennia. There are several answers, but each is again based on some kind of belief.

This is still bothering me. If all perception and judgement of any reality is critically flawed to such an extent that nobody can hold anything to be true or false or any value between, then how can anyone espouse any sort of solution?

It's really tearing me up.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: October 03, 2010, 09:51:23 pm »

The thing about that question is that true and false are based on perception. To a hardcore evangelist, there is a god. That is the truth to them. To me, that seems to be more than likely false, based on what I've perceived, and other things that I perceive to be true.

So, that said, all it takes to make something true is to perceive it in a way that is, to you, undeniably true.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: October 03, 2010, 09:56:53 pm »

How can one form any perception of reality if one cannot accept or reject any concepts or ideas due to one being inherently subjective and biased?
Good question. Philosophers have tried to answer that for millennia. There are several answers, but each is again based on some kind of belief.

This is still bothering me. If all perception and judgement of any reality is critically flawed to such an extent that nobody can hold anything to be true or false or any value between, then how can anyone espouse any sort of solution?

It's really tearing me up.

You accept it, and live with it.

Then you try to build models through redundancies based on observations, and experimentation that with never ceasing refinements that is done through falsification.

Though it can never lead us to a 100% understanding, it can lead us closer to such a thing, and help improve our lives.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: October 03, 2010, 09:59:47 pm »

I like MrWiggles' answer better than mine.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: October 03, 2010, 10:07:18 pm »

I'm quite aware of observation and experimentation. The argument that I quoted simply confused me, as it seemed to be stating "I am wrong, you are wrong, therefore I am right."
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 370