Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392501 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #3810 on: May 05, 2010, 04:54:24 am »

Earth is rather over populated as it is, and thus some sort of cull would be logically called for, so why not also archive something more from it like scientific research?

No it's not. We're (humans are) just really crap at properly assigning resources.

Haha, ok that's a hole new debate right there.
Either way, logic dictates that the evolution of our species, be it for physical strength or mental capacity, depends on 'cutting the fat' so to speak, and in that case that would imply letting the less mentally equip take themselves out in medical exams.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: May 05, 2010, 05:02:31 am »

Earth is rather over populated as it is, and thus some sort of cull would be logically called for, so why not also archive something more from it like scientific research?

No it's not. We're (humans are) just really crap at properly assigning resources.

Haha, ok that's a hole new debate right there.
Either way, logic dictates that the evolution of our species, be it for physical strength or mental capacity, depends on 'cutting the fat' so to speak, and in that case that would imply letting the less mentally equip take themselves out in medical exams.

Really; how exactly does logic dictate that?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: May 05, 2010, 05:06:40 am »

Little theory that Charles Darwin came up with, I think he called it evolution.
Contrary to what political correctness may say, smart people are more likely to have smarter kids.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: May 05, 2010, 05:33:53 am »

Little theory that Charles Darwin came up with, I think he called it evolution.
Contrary to what political correctness may say, smart people are more likely to have smarter kids.

Darwin came up with Natural Selection, not Evolution. And Evolution has absolutely nothing to say about culling species.

Try again.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: May 05, 2010, 05:43:43 am »

Darwin came up with Natural Selection, not Evolution

Granted. I mean if you like splitting hairs for no particular reason, I shall admit defeat on that detail.

And Evolution has absolutely nothing to say about culling species.

It has everything to do with culling the species. Not always through strategic means, but the idea that the 'weak' die out through any means is what natural selection is based on. When some giraffe have short necks, they couldn't reach the higher branches of trees to feed and starved to death, thus the 'weaker' of the species were culled and now they have longer necks.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: May 05, 2010, 05:51:01 am »

Granted. I mean if you like splitting hairs for no particular reason, I shall admit defeat on that detail.

I like how you tried to make it out like it's some pointless nitpick. It's an important distinction. For starters, natural selection is in fact about culling species, not evolution. They're sort of hand in hand in that manner. A giraffe with a short neck would die because of natural selection. Giraffes as a species get progressively longer necks because of evolution.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: May 05, 2010, 05:52:30 am »

I like how you tried to make it out like it's some pointless nitpick. It's an important distinction. For starters, natural selection is in fact about culling species, not evolution. They're sort of hand in hand in that manner.

To renounce, I should have said natural selection, not evolution, I take back my original statment. Anything else on the topic is simply a vain attempt at a smoke screen and irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: May 05, 2010, 05:58:21 am »

It's so nice to be right sometimes.

Also, I don't know what the topic at hand is, so whatever you're looking for, I ain't got it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: May 05, 2010, 06:00:35 am »

I'm here to debate, an enjoyable past time. I think of myself as being very lucky to find a good sparing partner such as Neruz to debate with, because sometimes its soo nice to be right on your own terms, instead of jumping on the first bandwagon to roll on by without knowledge of the topic.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: May 05, 2010, 06:04:59 am »

Ouch. I think that passive-aggressive jab may have punctured something.

But nevertheless, no matter how many passive-aggressive jabs are made against me, no matter how many people try to be clever by being subtly rude, if someone is being snide, I will be there to take the wind out of their sails.

I'm like Batman that way.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: May 05, 2010, 06:06:29 am »

Very noble of you batman.
Personally I would be a little insulted were I Neruz, with you trying to milk hes well earned victory for your own ego, but I don't want to speak for him.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: May 05, 2010, 06:10:03 am »

It has everything to do with culling the species. Not always through strategic means, but the idea that the 'weak' die out through any means is what natural selection is based on. When some giraffe have short necks, they couldn't reach the higher branches of trees to feed and starved to death, thus the 'weaker' of the species were culled and now they have longer necks.

You error here is in your definition of 'weak'.
You're also talking about Natural Selection, so i'll assume you're just using the wrong word when you say Evolution.

Natural selection is the process by which certain heritable traits; those that make it more likely for an organism to survive and successfully reproduce, become more common in a population over successive generations.

Notice there's nothing in there about 'weak' or 'stupid'.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: May 05, 2010, 06:11:28 am »

Look, I get it, you're annoyed at me for calling you out, and that's fine. It's a natural reaction. But what's the adult response here? Is it just niggling at me so you can get some sort of retaliation happening? "Oh well, he did fix a mistake I made and that's really annoying so I'll just start jabbing at him, because that's certainly not what a child would do"?

Or is it perhaps accepting that and moving on without trying to fit an insult in for your own gratification? Because I'm perfectly willing to move on but you seem desperate to get the last word in and make it an insult, and it's not making you look good, man.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: May 05, 2010, 06:12:09 am »

By 'weak', I do not always mean those lacking physical strength. I am referring to those that lack the qualitys that help others to survive in the conditions you just described.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: May 05, 2010, 06:13:31 am »

By 'weak', I do not always mean those lacking physical strength. I am referring to those that lack the qualitys that help others to survive in the conditions you just described.

Except that in the condition of modern society, being stupid is not a quality that affects one's ability to survive and reproduce. (Ovbiously it does a bit, but probably not enough to have a noticable evolutionary impact).
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 370