Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392177 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #3510 on: April 23, 2010, 04:09:33 pm »

If everything always existed, where did it come from?

The universe has a finite lifespan, as well. Eventually, it will run out of heat and become cold.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: April 23, 2010, 04:11:46 pm »

Sweet bloody Armok, Grakelin, I think I could taste your sarcasm for a moment there. I admit that I am in the wrong for bringing that up since it has apparently been discussed before, but I deny the use of any 'checkmate' logic. Truly your tongue is as sharp as an adamantine blade, irregardless of any perhaps excessive penchant for using it you may possess.

Also, thanks for the links Andir
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: April 23, 2010, 04:20:36 pm »

Yeah, Grakelin, as far as I can see, silverskull quoted that but doesn't stand behind it. He might want to read the whole thread and come back bat-shit insane in a week or two, though, that would save Andir a lot of work  ;)

@Andir: "Because it just does" is such an unscientific answer, don't you think?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: April 23, 2010, 04:26:04 pm »

@Andir: "Because it just does" is such an unscientific answer, don't you think?
Considering Science doesn't have an answer, but many theories... no, I don't think its out of place to say that the Big Bang could have been a very localized event and we are just experiencing a very tiny fraction of time in that event.

There's no saying that everything was created or if it all has just existed for infinity.  I happen to think that everything has always just been here and don't prescribe to the idea that it had to be created, ever.  (edit ... addendum)  I think the preservation of energy and matter is a macro-galactic rule.  The big bang could be a step in the natural flow of energy and matter.  IMHO, measurements made that state that energy is waning are very naive measurements from our pebble of space.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 04:29:42 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: April 23, 2010, 04:32:28 pm »

" Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

what say you, bay12ers?

Ahh, today I come to this debate armed with an Islamic theological point of view of God. Because it is a good question indeed, and I'm not happy with people trying to twist around the question without a good answer.

For one thing, Islam never claims that God is "omnipotent". In fact, there are plenty of specific labels, but not omnipotent. The closest you get "The Creator" and "The Mighty", but even nowhere near "all-powerful". The "Al-Qadir" there sounds close, but Wikipedia makes it misleading. It really means, "the one who can resurrect the dead/the creator" in context, which random people just simplified to "all-powerful".

Now this alone says that God is very powerful, but certainly not all-powerful. He created everything and lasts before and after time, which qualifies him to be labeled a God. But He does not claim to be infinitely powerful. So, that whole argument is invalid, because it makes some invalid assumptions (about god being omnipowerful, or non-omnipowerfulness equals weakness).

This alone should cancel out that whole argument. But let's go with the "where came evil" argument. Theologically, God seems to treat this life as a temporary thing, just as we treat a game. Evil is simply a test. But the Islamic version of God clearly knows everything you think, why should he even bother to test you when he knows how you'd do?

Well, there's three reasons schools make you take tests:
1. To test your competence
2. To force you to study
3. To have concrete evidence for those who challenge your qualifications

God knows that you're (in)competent, so (1) is invalid. Part (2) is valid as people would put their faith to question when confronted by evil. It is painful to improve, which is also why God gave us math. Part (3) is most important. God, knowing whether or not people deserve hell or heaven could just toss them wherever he wanted. But being "The Utterly Just", he has to prove to us that we're not qualified for heaven. Otherwise the nice people in heaven would be questioning God's authority to toss people into hell.

As life would be just a test, there is no true evil. Life is a temporary thing, you could beat others at it, you could conquer Earth and feed the poor, or go around and genocide people. It's still just a game, and you're only judged by your intentions. It doesn't matter if you were raped or killed or had your family and friends murdered in life. The criminal would obviously be sent to hell for proving that he had bad intentions. The victim, if they had lost faith in God from the test, would also be sentenced to hell for failing. But if they still stood firm and maintained faith, then they've passed and gained a free pass to heaven.

Those who die early, before getting a chance to prove themselves, as victims of genocide, murder, and other evils get an automatic free pass into heaven because of being disqualified. You know those suicide bombers? They attempt to instantly disqualify themselves from the game and incorrectly assume that it gets them to heaven.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: April 23, 2010, 04:35:22 pm »

@Andir:that's definitely a possibility, but I don't like the whole infinite causality thing. Because then that means that maybe this has all happened an infinite number of times and anything you ever say or do has been done before by a being who was you in one of the infinite universe cycles. I am not saying that every time the big bang cycles you are born again, but rather, given infinite time and infinite possibilities, eventually there must be repetitions. also, since if it is truly infinite, then there is no time=zero moment and then that means that everything that could possibly happen has already happened before, and will happen again in the future. Or maybe it doesn't....like I said, I don't like infinite causality, it makes my head hurt.

@Muz: I suppose that's what we get for reading the translation XD. Interesting points.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: April 23, 2010, 04:45:31 pm »

Or maybe it doesn't....like I said, I don't like infinite causality, it makes my head hurt.

Just because it makes your head hurt doesn't make it any less plausible.  And yes, I realize how odd that sounds coming from me, someone who named himself an Atheist.  It's a matter of finding an answer in it.  You look to someone or something creating everything because your life experience tells you that things are created and destroyed.  That's your life experience and teaching.  It's mine as well, but I opened up to the idea that maybe the laws of conservation apply to the universe.  How can we not know that we are a byproduct of a massive nuclear/galactic bomb in a larger galaxy?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: April 23, 2010, 04:47:22 pm »

It is painful to improve, which is also why God gave us math.
I LOL'ed.  :D

@Andir: allright, but how about the second law, entropy then? That one pretty much excludes an infinite (in time) universe/macroverse.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: April 23, 2010, 04:54:30 pm »

Lack of God does not equal lack of belief, even in nonscientific ideas.
Buddhists are athiests.

[sarcasm]Why big bang happened: The only thing stopping it happening are the laws of physics, before universe there were no laws of physics.[/sarcasm]
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: April 23, 2010, 04:58:45 pm »

It is painful to improve, which is also why God gave us math.
I LOL'ed.  :D

@Andir: allright, but how about the second law, entropy then? That one pretty much excludes an infinite (in time) universe/macroverse.
You're talking about Thermodynamics?  Entropy (as I understand it) applies to the application of energy to act upon something.  When something loses all it's energy it simply equalizes with it's surroundings.  We could be doing that right now.  Equalizing with the space where we once existed.  Once that happens, we may begin to shrink back up, the universe may be "opened up" (a byproduct of our big bang may be the total vacuum left in it's wake and since we can't measure it, energy/light/photons may have different characteristics in this environment), or something we couldn't begin to imagine may occur.  We simply lack the evidence and knowledge to determine what happens on the galactic scale.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: April 23, 2010, 05:09:38 pm »

Considering Science doesn't have an answer, but many theories... no, I don't think its out of place to say that the Big Bang could have been a very localized event and we are just experiencing a very tiny fraction of time in that event.

The word Theory in context to science does not mean guess. Its as good as it gets. Its a finite model that explains finite objects/events in the natural world that can be changed when new information presents itself, and thrown out if needed. Those theories are the answers. Sciences has lots of answers and lots of questions. Generally it has more questions then answers. The Big Bang theory is our model on how our universe was created. It doesn't pretend to answer what was there before the big bang. Its cannot be a weakness to itself it doesn't claim to answer that question.

How the universe was made is different question then from how did the creation process arrive. Abiogenesis is a different subject then evolution. Its not a weakness of evolution that it doesn't not explain how life first arise.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: April 23, 2010, 05:16:16 pm »

@ Andir: insufficient data for a meaningful answer :)

@MrWiggles stop confusing everyone, it's perfectly clear he means "Theories" and "Hypotheses" in Science-speak when he says "Answers" and "Theories" in normal language.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: April 23, 2010, 05:52:53 pm »

The "Al-Qadir" there sounds close, but Wikipedia makes it misleading. It really means, "the one who can resurrect the dead/the creator" in context, which random people just simplified to "all-powerful".
No, it literally means, "the able". As in, able to do anything. (From the root Qdr, meaning ability).

The rest of the argument is sound. It isn't evil, yet those are the hardships you face in life to test your resolve.

Although I do think he got the order of creation wrong.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: April 23, 2010, 06:03:54 pm »

How about that, most of the same people still going at this.

Seems to be going better, though.  Chaoticag, you do realize that a literal translation isn't necessarily the same thing as what the phrase is meant to mean?  For example, that may mean "the able" literally, but saying it to someone who actually speaks the language, that person may interpret it as something else due to context.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: April 23, 2010, 07:41:07 pm »

I speak the language, that's how it was explained to me.
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 370