Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 392463 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #2970 on: March 28, 2010, 08:23:46 pm »

Why would the Bible be of any use in determining the origins of the Universe anyway; even if we assume for hypothetical sake that it is divinely inspired, God would have had to dumb down the process so much in order for it to make a lick of sense to ancient man that any information in there would be totally useless anyway, even if it somehow survived the milennia and multiple translations.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: March 28, 2010, 08:53:49 pm »

Bauglir I'm saying that the scientific definition of the Universe excludes God, even though God can influence the Universe.
Unless of course your God is simply misfiring neurons.  Then of course, it's all in your mind and thus part of the Universe.  Unless of course you have some proof that this god can influence the Universe, which we know you don't.  So what's the point in believing in something that hasn't given you reason to believe?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: March 28, 2010, 09:55:51 pm »

We've been linking to wikipedia this entire thread...

Here goes:
Basic assumptions of science (Nachmias and Nachmias 1996, pp. 5-7))

1. Nature is orderly, i.e., regularity, pattern, and structure. Laws of nature describe order.

2. We can know nature. Individuals are part of nature. Individuals and social exhibit order; may be studied same as nature.

3. All phenomena have natural causes. Scientific explanation of human behavior opposes religious, spiritualistic, and magical explanations.

4. Nothing is self evident. Truth claims must be demonstrated objectively.

5. Knowledge is derived from acquisition of experience. Empirically. Thru senses directly or indirectly.

6. Knowledge is superior to ignorance. (See Sjoberg and Nett previous link)

These are one of many attempts to define the basic assumptions of science. Assumption meaning: There is no proof, but for practical reasons we believe these to be true and go from there.
Science makes no assumptions, it is simply a method of studying something, logic, common sense, and the vast majority of modern understanding is its only real defence against criticism...

The only assumption you really need to make to give science validity is that our perception of the world is in some way based upon its actual nature. And if you don't accept that one then you may as well just imagine yourself a better world and live there, because it would genuinely have just as much value as the 'real' world...

Once you reach a point in which something you know you have made up is just as valid as something you are not sure about you have reached a point at which no scenario has credibility...

Most other sets of assumptions also clearly define God to be out of scope. Some examples:
- Nature follows fundamental rules/laws
God is unnatural? And/or chaotic? If god has no nature then there is no more reason to worship god then there is to worship random chance.
- The principles that define the universe can be discovered
God did not define the universe?

The simple theory is, that if something interacts with the world, that interaction can be measured, and so the interacting thing can be measured, even if the interaction has ceased you can still observe the evidence of that interaction. The only time you could be unable to study something is if it had absolutely no effect on you whatsoever, at which point it is clearly foolish to believe in it because there is, by definition, no evidence to support believing in it. To do something with no reason is pretty much the definition of absolute foolishness...

If there is evidence of god then god can be studied, understood, and an appropriate method of interacting with god can be formulated.
If there is no evidence of god, then god, by definition, only accepts fools and I want no part of it.

If we define the universe as a system containing absolutely everything which interacts with the system, directly or indirectly, than there is, by definition, nothing which interacts with some part of the universe which is not a part of the universe. If there is nothing outside the system influencing it, than it must be a closed system.
If I define a closed box, then it's closed.
It's still not real.  ;D I know this is hard, but I'm pretty sure that there is always someone outside of your box. "Then my box increases in size to contain that!", well, there's still someone outside of your box. Ad Infinitum.
If I define my world according to sound, which is something I may well wish to do, on a temporary basis, if I were, say, recording music, then I could define the limits of the world based upon the point at which no external influences can will create detectable sound. I now have my own little world and all sound within it will be caused by elements of my own little world.
 Now I could start thinking about what sounds there are outside my world. I might think about how much I like music(this is a fictional character by the way...) and imagine that out there somewhere is the perfect song. Over time I might forget all this and re-imagine it a few times until all I remember is the idea that there is a nice song playing outside. I finally give in and go outside to hear that nice song, and instead I find roadworks, cars, and old reruns of the brady bunch playing. It turns out that since this song didn't actually have any contact with me, I was completely wrong about it, and there really wasn't any sane chance that I could have been right.

It is the same with the above definition of the universe. It encompasses everything with any influence, no matter how indirect, upon any part of our world. If something is not part of our universe then we do, by definition, have no ability to know about it. Given that people know about god, god is a part of that universe, a fictional part, but a part none the less. If indeed there is something beyond the universe, it will never, has never, and currently does not have any contact at all with our universe, and making any claims about it is preposterous.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: March 28, 2010, 10:01:15 pm »

Let's imagine something for a moment.

Suppose I sit you down alone in a completely empty room, and present you with a box. I do not allow you to touch the box, look inside the box, or in any way make any observation of it other than it's external appearance.

Then I ask you, what is inside of the box. Can you give any answers?

Then I ask you, what is not inside the box. Can you give any answers?

Then, let's suppose a third party walks into the room, one neither of us have ever met before. He walks up to you, and says, "The box contains a large, pink elephant. I know, because I was able to look inside the box." Do you believe him, just because he said he knows? Or do you continue to observe the exterior of the box, and conclude that, while you have absolutely no idea what is actually inside the box, that there are in fact an almost infinite number of things that can be excluded from the contents of the box, a large pink elephant being among this list?
!!&!!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: March 28, 2010, 10:20:06 pm »

I know the box itself is not in the box, and I am not in the box, And the air I am breathing is not currently int he box...And that guy there is not in the box.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: March 28, 2010, 10:43:40 pm »

I know the box itself is not in the box, and I am not in the box, And the air I am breathing is not currently int he box...And that guy there is not in the box.

But you cannae tell me what's in the box can you? Only what is not in the box.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: March 28, 2010, 11:45:04 pm »

But you cannae tell me what's in the box can you? Only what is not in the box.
Thus, humans don't have x-ray vision.  Moving on.

Why would the Bible be of any use in determining the origins of the Universe anyway; even if we assume for hypothetical sake that it is divinely inspired, God would have had to dumb down the process so much in order for it to make a lick of sense to ancient man that any information in there would be totally useless anyway, even if it somehow survived the milennia and multiple translations.
The first two chapters of the Bible don't give a lot of room for the process of how creation worked, the most detail it gives is God says "let there be something" and it is so.  If we are assuming that God can not only create the universe but also inspire human beings to write about the creation they were not present for, then God can most likely keep the Bible intact, being all powerful and all.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: March 29, 2010, 12:24:46 am »

The first two chapters of the Bible don't give a lot of room for the process of how creation worked, the most detail it gives is God says "let there be something" and it is so.  If we are assuming that God can not only create the universe but also inspire human beings to write about the creation they were not present for, then God can most likely keep the Bible intact, being all powerful and all.

The Bible is so full of contradictions that it's pretty ovbious it's suffered greatly throughout the years, assuming it was ever coherant to begin with.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: March 29, 2010, 04:09:07 am »

Although I quite like the original analogy, there is the possibility that the box is spacially inverted and that all the things (excepting the box itself[1]) that you mention are actually inside, and the question is more about the myriad of unknowns that can be found by tearing through the lid and looking at what is actually outside.

The caveat to that caveat is that it is of course meaningless to even consider referring to our perception of what is the inside of the box as outside, and vice-versa, without any possibility of opening the box and witnessing any proof that this should be the case.  Much the same as the solipsist attitude flies against observable convention and (most flavours of) Occam's Razor.

Sorry, some may consider that as a cat amongst the pigeons, in hindsight, but just thought it was an interesting point.  If only to impress upon those who might otherwise consider it that (without using an unjustifiable opinion or knowledge beyond the scope of the thought experiment's parameters) it's not worth adopting as a worldview.

[1] For extra marks, consider the box that does also contains itself[2].  But then deduct double the amount if you don't similarly dismiss that worldview through lack of any reason to maintain it...

[2] No, I shall not ask you to consider a box containing every container that does not contain itself.  Who do you think I am?  Bertrand Russell? :)

(BTW, another "int he" typoist!  That's one of my classic mis-keys. :))

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: March 29, 2010, 04:14:10 am »

Science makes no assumptions, it is simply a method of studying something, logic, common sense, and the vast majority of modern understanding is its only real defence against criticism...
That is simply untrue. Please, allow me:
http://web.utk.edu/~dhasting/Basic_Assumptions_of_Science.htm
http://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/basic_assumptions
http://www.abacon.com/graziano/ch02/sld002.htm
http://www.astronomynotes.com/science-religion/NormLevan/s1.htm

And a good read:
http://lyceumphilosophy.com/?q=node/117

Areyar: Stop hitting that button! DF is more important than a topic in your unread list that you simply can ignore!
Also, "God did it", but Genesis doesn't specify how he did it. Maybe he used miniature superstrings and played a really good song on them. The order in which stuff was created according to Genesis is surprisingly overlapping with that of the current scientific theories, I always thought that was pretty nifty for a few cavemen.

Andir: I need no reason other than the ones I gave.

Doug: Welcome :) But nobody is trying to "convert" here. At least I'm not. I couldn't care less if you adopted my viewpoint, but I would like it if you all would at least understand it. There's a difference.

Neruz: Stop trolling.

masam: The drinks are probably on me, by that time. Count me in, I can't wait :)

Ampersand: The box may contain-and-not-contain something. Like a cat that is both alive and dead at the same time.

Starver: Finally, an intellectual in this thread! ;D

About the universe: I was talking about the "Universe According To Science". Which is very different from "The Universe According to YOU".

Really, the only theist in this topic lecturing the atheists about science is rather the wrong way around, isn't it?  ::)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Greatoliver

• Bay Watcher
  • Blobby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: March 29, 2010, 05:14:36 am »

No, you're just wasting everyone's time. Unless you have a very good solid reason for assuming that God somehow exists outside of the Universe yet can still interact with it (despite this idea clearly violating any semblance of logic) then you are done here.

I dunno about this... We're always hindered by our mental capacities, e.g. try to imagine infinity rather than conceive of it.  A Transcendental God is possible, but we could never fully understand because of these constraints.

As to whether God could exist outside of the Universe, by definition, you are correct, but it is not very useful.  First, our understanding of the Universe is so vague that is ends up telling us very little.  Second, it doesn't take into account that God does not need to "abide by logic", i.e. He may be totally "messed up" and exist both inside and out or some other bizarre method... The Veil of Ignorance trumps all.

And bleurgh at the box... I personally think that there is no box, and all of you are fools for thinking there is one outside of this, but really, any opinion on this matter cannot be based upon anything true.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: March 29, 2010, 05:17:37 am »

any opinion on this matter cannot be based upon anything true.
So true, but watch out, next thing you know they'll come up with: "Ah-haA! But how can that statement be true then? Huh?"  :D

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Greatoliver

• Bay Watcher
  • Blobby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: March 29, 2010, 05:21:49 am »

So true, but watch out, next thing you know they'll come up with: "Ah-haA! But how can that statement be true then? Huh?"  :D

Nothing is certain!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: March 29, 2010, 05:34:45 am »

Why, exactly, should our mental capacity be a hindrance?

Or, to look at it a different way; what makes you think that there is something which we cannot eventually understand?

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: March 29, 2010, 05:39:00 am »

Ok I don't want to fully get back into the discussion because it goes around in circles, but...

Also, "God did it", but Genesis doesn't specify how he did it.

Uhm yes it does?

The order in which stuff was created according to Genesis is surprisingly overlapping with that of the current scientific theories,

Beg your pardon??

I always thought that was pretty nifty for a few cavemen

The bible wasn't written by anything resembling cavemen, not even metaphorically. It was composed between the "14th and 5th centuries BCE". Recall (far superior) literary works written around that time or earlier (Homer anyone?). And as far as science goes even by ancient standards, the bible is utterly useless, no?

Neruz & Siquo: I don't understand why you two are still arguing. You're not getting anywhere at all.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 370