Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 393547 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #2235 on: March 14, 2010, 02:03:08 pm »

Then please describe a religion who's beliefs are based on science and that doesn't believe in gods.

Isn't that counter productive to the point you were trying to make earlier about science being the base of athiesm? I mean answer your question correctly, as in "There is no such religion", would prove you wrong...
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: March 14, 2010, 02:46:59 pm »

No, if there is one then it's pretty much atheism is religious form. I'm an atheist with the belief in science, but I don't know of any religion that includes both of these. And frankly i don't see how you can define atheism like that as if you are one. Where does it say that atheists don't believe in science? What else could they believe in??? They just haven't thought about how everything got created or the meaning of anything at all? That's not how humans work.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: March 14, 2010, 03:43:12 pm »

Scientology would probably count if not for the fact that they are batshit insane.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: March 14, 2010, 03:49:51 pm »

That's beyond insanity....And it's more science fiction then science.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: March 14, 2010, 04:02:34 pm »

There is some science in there somewhere, and they don't believe in God.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: March 14, 2010, 04:19:11 pm »

Scientology.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: March 14, 2010, 05:07:48 pm »

Buddhism is generally regarded as a religion.  They don't believe in a creator and consequences (like Hell, etc.) but they accept the supernatural.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: March 14, 2010, 06:56:11 pm »

But they also believe in gods, or deities. Of course what is their purpose of the universe?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: March 14, 2010, 08:04:10 pm »

If you are saying that scientology is a religion about science, you don't know what you're talking about.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: March 14, 2010, 09:46:12 pm »

Forget trying to drill any sense into him Grakelin, a large part of this thread has been dedicated to people doing just that to Micro with no apparent success.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: March 14, 2010, 11:01:50 pm »

But they also believe in gods, or deities.

Funny, I specifically mentioned that they don't.

Well, some do, but it's not a core aspect of the religion.

And Scientology is not about science. It's about things that sound like science. In fact, if anybody ever tells you that they "believe in science", then they're not actually practicing science.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: March 14, 2010, 11:15:56 pm »

You might be a bit off in your explanation. I believe in science, and if I enclose my steak in a jar and observe whether or not maggots infest it, I am practicing it.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: March 14, 2010, 11:47:21 pm »

There is no such thing as 'Science', what you mean is that you believe in The Scientific Method, specifically as a means to determine truth from falsehood.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: March 14, 2010, 11:49:45 pm »

I'm done. Once we start discussing how science doesn't exist, I know you're grasping at straws.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: March 15, 2010, 12:09:00 am »

Tell me then Grakelin, what exactly is "Science"?
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 370