Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391979 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #4110 on: May 17, 2010, 03:59:10 am »

And if sentience involves having an ego, which is more than likely, your point is entirely moot, creaca, as anything we do or believe is to "assuage our egos". So no, having a Creator says nothing about the ego of man.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: May 17, 2010, 04:06:54 am »

I am always astounded by how poor some people's ability to use logic is.

Being Human and being Sentient is not the same thing.

This does not mean that a Human is not Sentient.

You can be Sentient but not Human.

Sentience and human are the same thing in the same way Egg Layer and Chicken are the same thing.

Something can be an egg layer and not be a chicken, but despite that fact, I don't see how you would fault someone for using the two as synonyms.

Also, I can't help but notice how you said 'You can be Sentient, but not human.' In the context of discussing sentient gods, it's very interesting you would word it that way.

And if sentience involves having an ego, which is more than likely, your point is entirely moot, creaca, as anything we do or believe is to "assuage our egos". So no, having a Creator says nothing about the ego of man.
You misunderstand me Siquo, I don't debate that we're not trying to reinforce our Ego with anything we do or believe. Rather that because of that fact, we are led to believe that some greater version of ourselves was our creator.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 04:21:51 am by Creaca »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: May 17, 2010, 04:44:21 am »

I certainly don't believe that, but I do think that the personification, or anthropomorphism, of God(s) is a natural human trait. We also do it with animals and inanimate objects. Nothing ego-centric about it, it's just a lack of being able to empathise.

Oh, wait, that is exactly egocentrism. Well, you may be right after all ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: May 17, 2010, 04:45:07 am »

B: "It was created out of absolutely NOTHING", you do not believe in true science since laws of Conservation of Mass do not allow matter and energy to be created from nothing.
Picking and choosing where to appear in this conversation, because I know I'm going to the mass-ninjaed anyway (ten pages in, this isn't even going to be the current argument, any more), but...

What if the universe is a zero-sum construct?  Mass+Energy+Dark Mass+Dark Energy (if you believe in either/both the latter two) == 0, by all practical measurements.

Similar to how the (hypothetical) particle pairs can appear and disappear in the 'quantum foam', spontaneously, the universe could pop into existence in the 'Metaverse' foam, do its thing for umpteen billion years (by our measure... that is) and then dissipate/recollapse/annihilate with our anti-universe twin...  So many different ways of looking at it.  Loads of explanations.  One might say a pantheon of choices if one wanted to make such a metaphor.[1]

Personally I go for a different POV, though.  The Universe is a static bubble in a timeless meta-void, the flow of time being represented by the 'latitude' as you slice through the multi-dimensional bubble in various ways.  IOW: the universe just is, and time is an illusion, much the same as consciousness is.

Again, an answer without proof.  Unless we can make the same equivalent journey as a visitor from Flatland might to us.  And we know that Mr Albert Square or Miss Victoria Line are lacking in the wherewithal to make the journey outside of their own dimension without external help, and even once they are disassociated they can only partly appreciate the extra-dimensionality, so should we gain the ability to angle/translate our view beyond our own normal dimensions (and there are various reasons to assume we can not) it's still reasonable to assume that we could not definitively define the metaverse that we are then peeking into.

[1] Which one could stretch by saying that this would be something that we may never have the ability to experimentally check, so it remains inaccessibly high up the cosmic Mount Olympus and might as well be a group of gods and goddesses doing what they do, and having done what they have done, beyond the wit of mortal man...  And some people will believe in their own answer, while others may just tend towards one of the solutions, and others will get on with tilling the scientific fields (of which they do have direct experience, and can exert control over) of the plains below and Let Gods Be Gods and leave them largely unconsidered while trusting in their ploughs not to spontaneously turn into serpents because there's no reason to consider that they might.  But that's getting to be an increasingly complex analogy that probably satisfies no-one (including me).

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: May 17, 2010, 05:02:58 am »

Also, I can't help but notice how you said 'You can be Sentient, but not human.' In the context of discussing sentient gods, it's very interesting you would word it that way.

Keep trolling, it's a fun past time.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: May 17, 2010, 05:10:18 am »

Keep trolling, it's a fun past time.

And thus the discussion devolves into throwing the word Troll around.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: May 17, 2010, 05:29:13 am »

It's a step up from trying to twist the other individual's sentences because it could mean this.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: May 17, 2010, 05:39:19 am »

That's more Lamarckian genetics, which has been disproven though, unless someone is going around killing people that get wisdom teeth and big pinkies.
OTOH, nothing is disadvantaging those 'unfortunates' who have smaller pinkies and no wisdom teeth.  Something which may have been an important choice in times past and thus encouraged the sustained possession of longer little toes and the appropriate dental layouts.

Lamarckism is more "stretch your neck, your child has a longer neck" than "have no overall disadvantage to having a longer neck, compared with its advantage, and your propensity to have a child (which will tend to have your longer neck) increases".  Similarly it's not a lack of use of a little toe for grasping that conveys itself, but the fact that your littler little toe doesn't disadvantage you (and may work better for you because of better walking stance, or a minute but factorable decrease in food needed to maintain the toe) and you thus get to have children you might not have had in more arboreal times.

It's called a "random walk" process.  It might easily have been a change in tibia:fibula length ratio or some such.  Maybe a change in skull shape[1].  Indeed, it's probably all of these, and more, but at a speed of change where any given generation of human is but a blink of an eye.

Some point at (say) look at photos of women from the first half of last century, where there's often something 'different' about their faces, but that could be make-up and fashions in hair style, and cultural representations.  Although if there's a consistent cultural bias towards bigger/smaller women with less/more pointier noses and wider/narrower eyes over enough generations, then that trait would engender itself into the population.  In the fast-paced world that we're in, of course, trends change (and even reverse) year-by-year, so that easily smears out any instantaneous tendencies.  Still, there'll be something (that we probably can't predict) that the ethnologists and historical anthropologists of years to come may be able to identify...  (e.g. the availability of IVF in rich cultures means certain traits towards impotence/infertility could become more widespread.)

[1] I wasn't going to go into detail, but the co-evolution of the flatter face and the more prominent maternal breast could be cited as an actual example.

As always, a citation from a work of science is preferable.
Just to acknowledged this, though in this reply I'm not giving a fact that needs citation. (Oops, maybe footnote [1] above does.  I'll check around for that, if it still looks like an issue when I've finally caught up to this post of mine.)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: May 17, 2010, 05:42:11 am »

RAM, can we just all agree that there is a God that created the universe for a purpose, and get on with it?
Well of course we can, personally I love the idea of an all-powerful entity that will ensure justice for everyone. We just need a sensible reason that doesn't involve conscious ignorance.

However, accepting that existence 'just is' is backed up by what seems to me to be a sound reasoned argument, which I stated just the other page...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hmmm, maybe not justified quite enough, something about there having to be one, and nothing else being able to influence it. *sighs* It is still firmly in the ream of self-evident, I can try to tease it out a bit more but I would rather not bother unless someone can suggest that there might possibly be some sort of flaw in it.

How so? It would say a lot about ego of man if the universe's creation had to be the act of a human being, but a sentient being can equate to any number of things.

I wouldn't be particularly narcissistic if I believed a dog created the universe, for instance.

It's more narcissistic to believe that sentience and human are the same thing.
Ummmm, okay, first off, I didn't think anyone else mentioned narcissism, though I could be mistaken. Anyway, if you believe that you are sentient then it is indeed egotistical to believe that sentience is required for the universe to exist. Just as it is egotistical to believe that opposable thumbs are required to use tools or that your gender is necessary to appropriately prioritise. If you don't believe that you are sentient, then no, it wouldn't be egotistical, but there are a few different ways to think that you are sentient, and some of them are sneaky, so just thinking that you don't believe that you are sentient is not necessarily sufficient for the purpose...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: May 17, 2010, 06:11:21 am »

It's a step up from trying to twist the other individual's sentences because it could mean this.
I just thought the word choice was relevant enough to note. I wasn't trying to twist your sentence, just pointing out that there may have been subtext in it.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: May 17, 2010, 06:20:10 am »

To backup starver, our ancestors used to be able to make their own vitamin C, but we lost that ability because it was no longer necessary, as primates eat enough fruit to get it themselves. Useless abilities may just disappear by themselves over time, if they're no longer necessary for survival.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: May 17, 2010, 12:21:29 pm »

I've said it a few pages back, but believing in a god that created this universe for us is egotistical.

For all we know, this god could have created the universe in finite detail down to the atomic level to study the effects of a massive explosion in space... yet we pray to the same god to give us guidance and favor.  The ego here being that somehow we are the center of "God's attention" and this Earth was created as a home for our egotistical minds and that we are not a side effect of this experiment.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: May 17, 2010, 12:41:57 pm »

Solved with omni:

How can you not be at the center of a limitless attention? Any point is the center in infinity. Thinking that you are more important (to God, or in general) than any other human, that's egotistical, and hardly limited to theists ;)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: May 17, 2010, 02:22:01 pm »

Solved with omni:

How can you not be at the center of a limitless attention? Any point is the center in infinity. Thinking that you are more important (to God, or in general) than any other human, that's egotistical, and hardly limited to theists ;)
But thinking you are more important than a rock is also as egotistical, if you want to be technical (re: omni.)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: May 17, 2010, 03:22:00 pm »

Correct. Every particle and arrangement of particles is equally important.

Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 370