Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175719 times)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #960 on: September 09, 2009, 12:12:43 pm »

Both Sokoban and the gnomish mines are guaranteed to generate each playthrough, and if you hit Sokoban before you hit the gnomish mines, then you went too far and you'll have to backtrack to find the mines. The entrance to the mines can be anyway between floor 2 to 4, IIRC.

The entrance to the mines, at an early dungeon level 2 to 4, is a devious trap by the devteam. Falling stones, rolling boulders, deadly poison darts or spikes, plus lots of enemies in an open area. All these can cause an early death pretty easily.

I always finish Sokoban before coming back for the mines. I may hang around the entrance to let my pet find me some starting armor or pick axe though.

I usually go right for the mines, mainly for a stack of daggers, early armor, and easy levels off the gnomes. I'll usually drop down to Minetown, but I'll only continue on if I'm doing really well. Izchak likes to generate magic lamps (50 gold and 2 holy waters for a wish? Sign me up!), there's an altar, the other stores might have some good stuff to get, and the fountains and statues can be useful. Also, judicious Elbereth can solve most problems. I've killed a Master Mind Flayer in the mines without taking a hit. The mines aren't too bad as long as you understand the mechanics of rolling boulder traps, you don't hit a polymorph trap, you're wearing enough armor, and you don't run into large groups of enemies.

Mines End is a bitch, though. Don't go there unless you're prepared.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: September 09, 2009, 01:24:13 pm »

My problem is that you should wait until you have magic resistance before hitting anything in the mines level 8 or below. This is because so many more traps are generated in the mines, that you're much more likely to hit a polymorph trap, which can be a game-ending mistake.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #962 on: September 09, 2009, 06:01:32 pm »

Heh... my monk died trying to loot a throne room so I tried a Wizard.  The maze didn't end up being too much of a problem, one of the first few items I found was a genocide scroll, no more gnomes :P  A couple gnome lords and a few dwarves were the only things left.  Course, I came back out, went down a level and promptly got gored walking around a corner directly into a minotaur...

Tried a paladin too, but his death was so depressing... I didn't realize I was over-encumbered and died slipping while trying to mount my horse after a fight....
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: September 09, 2009, 06:02:52 pm »

"Oh man, this horse is just so slippery..."

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: September 09, 2009, 07:59:06 pm »

Tried a paladin too, but his death was so depressing... I didn't realize I was over-encumbered and died slipping while trying to mount my horse after a fight....

This is how my first knight died: The first room has no visible doors. I thought, why not try some of the class's specials before searching for that secret door? So I tried #jump, and then I tried #ride. I slipped, so I tried again (and again), without looking at my HP.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: September 10, 2009, 06:42:58 am »

how'd you get magic resistance, the furthest ive ever got is to the bottom level of the mines to get killed by the dorf king (was low on hp when i got to him). on may occasions ive been hit by a sleep trap and been killed in the mines but never a polymorph.

ran two characters yesterday neither made it to the mines, one never got past level 1 because i couldnt find the down stairs so after searching loads and running out of food i retired him.

the other (a samuri) got down five levels, didnt find mines entrance, lost the damn dog (i usually do this he always seems to sod off) and then got gang r***d by 6 hill orks, (killed five of them)

I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: September 10, 2009, 06:45:25 am »

I just picked this game up.

I am in love with it.

I love it almost as much as I do DF Adventure mode.

*drool*

It's like Castle of the Winds, only seventy times deeper. Literally.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: September 10, 2009, 08:12:28 am »

how'd you get magic resistance, the furthest ive ever got is to the bottom level of the mines to get killed by the dorf king (was low on hp when i got to him). on may occasions ive been hit by a sleep trap and been killed in the mines but never a polymorph.

The easiest would be to play a wizard... all wizards start with a cloak of magic resistance.

Or you can find a bone pile of a former wizard. :P

Other sources include randomly generated cloak of MR, gray dragon scale [mail], and quite a few artifacts grant MR when carried.

Note that while only MR can save you from a polymorph trap, many troublesome attacks (e.g. werecreature bites and wands) in the early stage does not require MR - just reflection and good MC (magic cancellation).

MC is for special attacks that much touch you to take effect - like werecreature's bite, footrice's petrify attack, poison stings from insects. You can get MC from many cloaks, mithril armor, etc.

ran two characters yesterday neither made it to the mines, one never got past level 1 because i couldnt find the down stairs so after searching loads and running out of food i retired him.

Sometimes there are items generated on top of the stairs - move boulders and statues, and pay attention when you walk onto a square with items. If there's a stairs, you get a message for it.

Sometimes stairs are hidden in sections that has no access except a diagonal move, which you are most of the time carrying too much to use. You will need to find a pick axe or wand of digging for those.

Or you can simply dig downwards! You will be dropped a random number of levels down, so immediately seek the up stairs for the way back. You will need to leash all your pets if you want them to drop downwards with you.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: September 10, 2009, 09:41:23 am »

I just picked this game up.

I am in love with it.

I love it almost as much as I do DF Adventure mode.

*drool*

It's like Castle of the Winds, only seventy times deeper. Literally.

I'm glad we got you hooked Vester. Don't get discouraged!

de5me7, you should also remember that the beginning portion of the game is the hardest for many players, if only because you're devoid of the equipment that will be saving your life later in the game, so you have to depend more on wits and luck. Mostly wits, because as hopeless as alot of situations seem, the ability to escape could very well be in your inventory.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: September 10, 2009, 09:44:06 am »

I play DF.

The fact that it's possible to fall down the stairs in Nethack just encourages me! :D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: September 10, 2009, 10:36:20 pm »

Be sure to keep us informed on your characters. Not just your successes, but failures as well. Don't be afraid to ask for help either.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: September 10, 2009, 10:45:39 pm »

My first character, a samurai named Dargor (after the Rhapsody Dargor) died hilariously. Bitten to death by a sewer rat.

My second one, I accidentally went up the stairs.

Heh.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: September 10, 2009, 11:30:52 pm »

Yep, lots of DF players play Nethack. Check out the pet name suggestion thingamabob.

Pet names
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 01:37:41 pm by Mephisto »

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: September 11, 2009, 02:40:25 pm »

nethack has a similar mentality to DF, for most players loosing is fun, and there is no victory.

is there naywhere i can get an idiots guide to dongeon survial, ive read a few spoilers (the one on eating stuff is very useful) but detailed strategic advice would be useful.

if there is no such book would an experience player consider writing one?
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: September 11, 2009, 05:50:50 pm »

There's wikihack, the nethack wiki.  Just search Nethack and it should be the second or third result.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 128