Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175250 times)

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1785 on: February 18, 2015, 04:54:38 am »

Resurrecting the thread with this awesomeness/autism from /rlg/
warning: hueg picture
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: February 18, 2015, 10:41:43 am »

I'm simply not sure what has transpired in that picture. Do I read it from left to right? Start from the center and work outward? It's a mystery.

hemperor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: August 15, 2015, 12:29:12 pm »

Resurrecting the thread with this awesomeness/autism from /rlg/
warning: hueg picture
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hahahah WTF, some people really dig weird tedious things! theres a roguelike thread on 4chan?

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: August 16, 2015, 01:32:45 pm »

I never actually got that far in the game. How long does it take to actually win the game? It looks like there are an insane number of levels, etc... to grind through?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: August 16, 2015, 02:07:13 pm »

I never actually got that far in the game. How long does it take to actually win the game? It looks like there are an insane number of levels, etc... to grind through?
If you know what you are doing, a single winning game doesn't take that long, all things considered. Most of my ascensions were done in a few days max, but I don't know how long I spent per day? The reason it takes so long to win isn't the length of one game that you win, it's the tons of deaths you get on the way.

I have never pudding farmed but I'm really feeling the urge after seeing that saga in the image above.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: August 16, 2015, 09:56:58 pm »

dat boulder carrying.

Yeah i once wizard a negative amount of gold and stuffed it in a cursed sack polymorphed from a bag of holding in Slash'EM, and was able to lift dragon and ettin corpses wholesale, inside a blessed icebox i lugged around to sacrifice to elder gods.

i'm not the autist but dang that stupid pointless gaming was fun.

How the guy intentionally glitched the game to produce exponential amounts of gold with a nymph, I don't know. He's a genius.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: August 17, 2015, 11:47:08 am »

The game is relatively short. It's just hard as balls.

Though, technically if you had an inbuilt calculator in your head and eidetic memory, it'd probably be easy as balls. The difficulty mostly comes from how complicated and randomized everything is.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: August 17, 2015, 12:54:15 pm »

It's been something like 7+ years since I've touched Nethack, but it still holds a special place in my heart. That being said, there's people that have been playing it for years and have not beaten it. When I played, I got super obsessed with it, I read the entire wiki front to back, had most facts of the game devoted to memory, and had beaten the game 3 times (with a 4th victory within spitting distance, but I choke to death on a Titan corpse literally feet away from the finish line thanks to a fateful misclick) and I have alot of stories that still rile me up to this day, if you can't tell!

There's the free version you can get from the Nethack website, there's the online version you can play in java that has worldwide leaderboards, there's texture packs if you don't like ASCII, and there's an graphically updated version available on Steam for a few bucks that uses isometric view but apparently has slightly reduced gameplay functionality.

So yeah, asking how long it will take you to beat it is a hard task, cause you can blitz through the game or you can take your time and farm every last enemy, the goal remains the same either way: Grab the amulet of Yendor and get out, ascend to the astral plain, and claim your ticket to demigodhood. There's 40-something floors to the dungeon if I'm remembering correctly, plus four elemental planes, plus the final astral plane, plus Sokoban, plus each class' unique Quest, plus the mining gnome village, plus some other secret optional stuff! There's actually so much to the game that even though I spent several months obsessed with it, I didn't get to see it all.

While the game is "Permadeath" which is the roguelike creed, you can copy and save your save files if you're a huge coward. I don't recommend it, as savoring the finality of death adds to the fun and the tension. You'll never get better at the game if you give yourself leeway like that, you have to trust in your ability, knowledge, ingenuity, and experience even when the game gets brutal. No matter how much you grind, no matter how powerful your character gets, there will always be things that can kill you, often instantly or nigh-instantly, and learning to deal with, prepare, avoid, and combat those things is what sets apart the dying characters from the winning characters.

I highly recommend the game to all experienced gamers, I'd put my victories in this game on my professional resume if employers would take it seriously, as the game is a test of personal mettle that most people simply can't handle, but I'd say everyone should seriously experience and attempt atleast once in their lives. It'll leave you with scars and memories you'll never forget.

And if everything is looking grim, just remember the magic word:

"Elbereth"

I'd buy a doormat that just had that word on it, it's the only thing I'm sure would keep monsters out of my home.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: August 17, 2015, 04:38:58 pm »

I suddenly found nethack extremely painful to play after playing dungeon crawl stone soup.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: August 17, 2015, 04:45:19 pm »

And if everything is looking grim, just remember the magic word:

"Elbereth"

I'd buy a doormat that just had that word on it, it's the only thing I'm sure would keep monsters out of my home.

But only if you put something on top of it (like a coin).
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: August 17, 2015, 05:45:37 pm »

I figure an Elbereth doormat would work like a scroll of scare monster. So you don't need to put something on top of it, but don't pick it up.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: August 18, 2015, 08:54:59 am »

I don't know, I'd say it takes about 4-12 hours to win which is about the same as my DCSS wins. Not what I'd consider long.

Now actually getting to the point where you're an expert enough with the game to win it? Weeks or years, depending on your willingness to look up spoilers and general roguelike skills.

I suddenly found nethack extremely painful to play after playing dungeon crawl stone soup.

Is 3.4.3 still the newest? Definitely feels a bit dated. For me NetHack is more of a nostalgia trip more than anything else. Not something I'd recommend as a genuinely good contemporary roguelike. It's not bad, but games have gotten better (YMMV of course).

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: August 18, 2015, 11:17:30 am »

For me NetHack is more of a nostalgia trip more than anything else. Not something I'd recommend as a genuinely good contemporary roguelike. It's not bad, but games have gotten better (YMMV of course).

Definitely. I feel that a lot of NetHack's fun came from figuring out all the various secrets and easter eggs with other people. Now that every game (NetHack in particular) has a comprehensive wiki - all the cool little secrets are just a wiki search away. Kinda takes the "magic" out of things. 
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: August 19, 2015, 04:17:00 pm »

Hey! Have already buried several characters there. My question is why doesn't my pet follow me on the way to the lower floors? It always hangs around until level 3 or so, then just disappears.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 11:48:56 am by RoguelikeRazuka »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: August 19, 2015, 04:51:11 pm »

We have a NetHack thread??? This is news to me.

I managed to nail Nethack v54.3.1 just a few minutes ago. Made it past the Astral Plane, and _then_ back in time to work through all of history up to Nethack v3.2.3 (this, of course, has been in every version since 48.2), but after that the game jumped a thousand years into the future and I had to build an entire interstellar trading alliance (with only the Amulet of Yendor) before the aliens from the other side of the black holes showed up...took me six months to solve that part of the game, and then I finally won.
It's a refereereence
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 128