Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

There is nothing of worth to add here.

Nothing.
At all.
Seriously.

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 105

Author Topic: To venture north, into Hell: Othtar Noloc, world at war  (Read 106557 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To venture north, into Hell: Othtar Noloc, world at war
« Reply #1275 on: September 13, 2009, 11:24:31 pm »

Laptop based school. Is nice.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: September 14, 2009, 12:59:33 am »

fuckyou. We've got wireless, but have to supply own laptops. Though apparently the grade nines are getting some next year.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: September 16, 2009, 05:48:06 am »

Hey everyone, this is officially once hundred (and two) Microsoft Word pages long! Huzzah! Milestone! Let's all get drunk on success.

Five minutes later

Limul.
Limul.
Limul!

The noise ceased and Limul sat up. The faint cries just on the edged of hearing had been occurring for five whole minutes, but were too weak to do anything but sooth Limul in his slumber. The sudden silence achieved what Navi’s voice could not and Limul sat up at the loss of a familiar noise. It was a trait he had inherited from his father, who once woke up and had saved his mother after she had vomited in the night, her sudden lack of breathing alerting him.
“What?” he said, sleepily. Suddenly, with mental acknowledgement, the link was re-established.
Thank the Gods! Limul!
“What? Navi, what time is it… Gods…” he muttered.
Limul, we’re in danger, insisted Navi. That sobered Limul, drunk on tiredness and drunk from drink itself. They had had a traditional dwarven send off for Raptor, which meant that all the human members of the camp were happily unconscious within fifteen minutes, sacred, extra strength, home-brewed (that night, actually) Strongrock burial rum still in hand, a must for every dwarven funeral. The whole experience, the stoic way they had to behave and the rites that were preformed with no body to receive them had drained him to the point of exhaustion. But now he was instantly alert, some power flowing from the gem into him.
“What is it?” he asked.
There’s a magical block on the campsite. Area effect. I almost lost my link with you. Someone or something wants to get into the camp without being observed.
“I… let’s go.” He picked up his axe and straightened up. He thought of raising the alarm and dismissed the idea. He wasn’t totally comfortable with revealing Navi, not yet.
Sneaking forward, he paused. He wasn’t good at sneaking.
Which way? He asked
That way. He headed in the direction as quietly as possible and almost tripped over the prone body of Urist. He rolled him over quickly.
Magical trap. I can smell it. It was the assailants. It seems to be weaved to not conflict with the block. The block has, however, evaporated.
He straightened up and began to head back into camp before a snap of twigs and the soft noise of someone trying to swear quietly and failing reached his ears. Turning round, he headed towards the noise. Waiting behind the tree, silently as possible, he breathed in deeply and manoeuvred round the tree, roaring. His axe came into contact with another one and he and his would-be prey were flung backwards. Sitting up, he and Workerdrone bemusedly surveyed each other.
Wow! He’s connected to “something magical and sentient via a link.”
They glared at each other.
“Later.” They both said at the same time. Standing up, Limul looked around.
“Assailants. Think they’re still here?” he asked.
“Doubt it,” said Workerdrone.
“Why not?”
“Because Walter’s missing.”

Two hours later

Plans had been suggested. Plans had been made. Plans had been discarded and plans had been made again. Kogan was a wreck, deeply wounded by the death of Raptor and now the abduction of Walter, who he considered a good friend and was staring into the fire. Forrest had announced that for all the enemies magical trickery (Urist was still unconscious but was now snoring. Evidently he wasn’t going to die any time soon.) they had been inexperienced and he could easily track them. Several people wanted a frontal assault, but something had prevented any real decision from being made yet. The abductors had dropped a dagger. Goblin make.
“We’ve been ignoring the problem long enough!” insisted Vilien. “We need to find a way of ridding the goblin menace. I know they outnumber us many times over, but we can’t just sit idly!”
“Calm down,” said Humaan. “This could simply be something picked up by slaving ships.”
“We can’t be sure of that! We can’t make assumptions that may lead to us being shanked by a goblin fuck with a knife!” shouted Vilien, drawing his sword to illustrate the point.
“Nor should we be doing anything rash!” interjected Tamunshin, angrily. He had been in a bad mood ever since they had killed the dragon. He was having visions of the lich. The lich never spoke, but simply mouthed the words ‘soon’. How he did this when his face was simply a skull did not seem to matter. Tamunshin could feel, instinctively, that whatever was happening would be happening soon.
“Rash? Armok damn it, we’re past the stage for rashness!” said Vilien. “A member of our company has been abducted! What do you expect us to do, wait for a ransom note?”
“Perhaps.” muttered Limul Thak.
“Perhaps?” spat Bardbeard. “Perhaps? Whatever course of action we take is to be decided but we cannot simply sit on our haunches and wait for an ultimatum. We need to –”
“Find out what we’re dealing with,” muttered Barbarossa, cutting over Bardbead. Everyone looked at him. “Whoever did this may not be experienced but they had access to offensive magic and wielded goblin weaponry. Whoever these people are, rushing in blindly is not going to help.”
“It’s never failed before.” said Workerdrone.
“Yes,” said Barbarossa quietly. His eyes glazed over and suddenly he was back in the northern mountains again, fleeing from the man shaped flames and the meaty monstrosities. He still woke up sweating occasionally, after falling just short of the entrance in his dreams, just short, not far enough, the smell of burning… “It has.”
Workerdrone quietened down. He knew what had happened. It had catapulted Barbarossa to the status of ‘war hero’ almost instantly during the war and everyone knew the story. The other's, however, continued to argue. After several seconds of meaningless shouting, a severed thumb was slammed onto the tree stump serving as a conference table. The chatter stopped instantly.
“Whatever the case,” said Bardbeard, removing his hand from the goblin thumb lying on the stump that had served as a good luck charm over the past half a dozen months. “If there are goblins, however we go about doing it, we need to exterminate them.” This was greeted with a round of nodding.
“Well,” said Barbarossa, leaning forward. “We have a will. Now we need to find a way. First off, we need to find out more about our foe.”
“I’ll do it,” said Kogan, still staring into the fire.
“No.” said Barbarossa. Kogan looked up in surprise. “You can lead the… whatever we decide to do, but I have to send Forrest for this.” He looked Kogan in the eye. “I’m not losing any more people to avoidable circumstances.”
Kogan stared at him for a long time, then grinned.
“Aye,” he said. “Aye. No more. No more.”
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 04:49:10 pm by Jackrabbit »

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: September 16, 2009, 05:54:55 am »

Great!
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: September 16, 2009, 03:05:19 pm »

I think that's up there as one of the best updates so far.

Still, I don't think my character would say "shank". Well, maybe.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: September 16, 2009, 03:09:25 pm »

Thoroughly enjoyed.

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: September 16, 2009, 04:10:34 pm »

I love it. ;D
I especially love that you had Limul drink so much that Navi got smashed (as could be seen in his use of contractions, something he would never do sober)! Wait... that's why he talked like that... right? ;)

So yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed this update. It's been worth the wait. :)
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: September 16, 2009, 04:13:07 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by contractions.

But yes, Limul's state of mind, plus powerful magic that tends to hang around did have an effect on Navi.

Just be glad Navi's only a voice or streaking would be involved.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: September 16, 2009, 04:45:07 pm »

This is an update is of master quality with bands of exitemt and spicks of awesomeness.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #1284 on: September 16, 2009, 04:50:35 pm »

Awesome.

I'm suprised how much impact my short story helped as a scene setter.
I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
- T.S Eliot

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: September 16, 2009, 04:55:43 pm »

Without the journals, this story would be shorter and infinitely more boring.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: September 17, 2009, 01:41:30 am »

I'll write an entry tomorrow.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: September 17, 2009, 03:44:08 am »

My guy seems to of f'd off, probably getting drunk.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: September 17, 2009, 03:46:05 am »

I've had a mental block all of a sudden. Who was your guy?

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: September 17, 2009, 04:06:25 pm »

Contractions are the use of apostrophes to shorten phrases such as "do not" and "what is" to words such as "don't" and "what's". Navi's a pretentious elfish snob, and so doesn't lower himself to the lazy little blighters. Unless... he has a lot to drink... ;)

Oh, and Navi streaking is the strangest yet most hilarious thing I've thought of today. ;D
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 105