Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Hunting labor causes extreme narcolepsy.  (Read 1197 times)

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Hunting labor causes extreme narcolepsy.
« on: April 24, 2009, 01:10:41 pm »

All the dwarves in my fortress are ignoring their beds. They will work in their shops one minute, and then immediately go to sleep on the floor where they were standing the next. Miners fall asleep in their tunnels, ect, like what you see in an early fortress without beds.

I've also noticed Woodcutters standing in place underground, motionless, that tell me they are "felling tree". Also, engravers will also freeze in place trying to smooth the tile they are standing on. They stand there "smoothing floor" but the tile is never smoothed out and their trance is only broken by canceling the task or them running off to get a drink.

I'm certain this is related to the hunting labor being enabled on everyone. There is no more wildlife on site, and everyone carries a sheild, weapon, backpack, waterskin and leather armor.

Also, all the dwarves carry waterskins, will fill them up, but still only drink booze. There are mysterious puddles of water on my booze stockpiles I can only imagine is the result of them carrying waterskins.

The only dwarves that act normally and sleep in their beds are soldiers, the wounded and civilians I haven't enabled the hunting labor with yet. Everyone else will hang out in their assigned rooms and even admire their own fine beds, but will only sleep on the ground.

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Hunting labor causes extreme narcolepsy.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 03:00:47 pm »

I haven't tried turning on Hunting for everyone, but I have noticed that my hunters will just go to sleep wherever.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 04:45:57 pm »

Hunters have always ignored their beds to just go to sleep on the floor, whereever they're standing.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:45:46 pm »

Yeah, i've noticed hunters like to sleep wherever they are standing, but having the hunting labor enabled also produces these other odd effects, like I mentioned.

Woodcutters and Engravers going catatonic, and stuck in their ineffective task and water spilled on the booze piles from filled waterskins dwarves never drink from.

Practically, these narcoleptic episodes and catatonic seizures are a small price to pay for 100+ dwarves armed and armored, but I don't think these effects are intended parts of the game.

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 02:26:19 pm »

Hunters have always ignored their beds to just go to sleep on the floor, whereever they're standing.

Is this intended behavior?  I'd think hunters should be the last dwarves who would try this as they are dramatically more likely to be in range of dangerous creatures at a given moment than your average dwarf.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 04:22:35 pm »

Is this intended behavior?  I'd think hunters should be the last dwarves who would try this as they are dramatically more likely to be in range of dangerous creatures at a given moment than your average dwarf.

Well, at least they no longer decide to take naps on your weapon traps full of masterwork steel serrated blades.  ;D