Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reservoir and stone dumping...  (Read 932 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reservoir and stone dumping...
« on: April 23, 2009, 02:44:14 pm »

Well, I'm here just to complain about my processor, because I'm going to have to run this for a couple years. Real life years likely... :P

Basically, I decided to make a huge reservoir the entrance of my fortress, fed by a brook three z levels under it. So I make three groups of 4 pumps to make the water reach where I want. I also make it too huge, so it's taking a long while to fill... And raping my fps... :'(

At the same time, I decided to get rid of excess stone in the fortress, so I marked all non-marble stone for dumping in the atom smashing chamber. All 24k of them. So, I guess my dwarves are going to be busy for the next century or so... Real life century going by my fps 5... :'(
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Reservoir and stone dumping...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 03:01:33 pm »

Once the reservoir fills to 7/7, it will be better.

("Better" only being a relative term, unfortunately...)  :-\

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 08:19:08 pm »

("Better" only being a relative term, unfortunately...)  :-\
Better to what?  "So horrible I'll be 90 before my miners get to that wall I designated 40 years ago"?

As a piece of advice, since you have a slow processor, have you done the usual things in the init.txt to make the fps better?
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 07:37:53 pm »

Aye. Turned off temp and weather, at least for the moment.

And the worst part, my processor isn't all that bad, as a Athlon XP 3200+.  :'( Well, I guess it's time to upgrade anyway...  :P ;D
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 12:26:20 am »

Aye. Turned off temp and weather, at least for the moment.

And the worst part, my processor isn't all that bad, as a Athlon XP 3200+.  :'( Well, I guess it's time to upgrade anyway...  :P ;D
I'm running a dualcore 6400+ and I still ahve lag issues.  Try this in the init.txt:

Partial Print:Off:2
change to
Partial Print:On:5

really sped me up, but it depends on the system.
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.