Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Relgion!  (Read 12798 times)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
Relgion!
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:28:32 pm »

Ok, any one wanna join up the new Cult of Chaos, basted apon the chaos gods from WH. http://z3.invisionfree.com/Cult_of_Chaos/index.php?act=idx
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Relgion!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 12:39:31 pm »

No thanks. My cult is better.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 02:49:28 pm »

why WH ?

learn to make up your own gods, they might be actually interesting, instead of these lame stereotypes
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:17:20 pm »

Convert to the Greek/Roman Pantheon and use the excuse to learn about history.  :)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:47:30 pm »

Ok, any one wanna join up the new Cult of Chaos, basted apon the chaos gods from WH. http://z3.invisionfree.com/Cult_of_Chaos/index.php?act=idx

Emphasis mine.

I'd rather have my cult dry rubbed and broiled.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 04:26:08 pm »

Relgion!

Emphasis mine.

Unfortunately it doesn't portmanteau with anything.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 05:08:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No thanks. My cult is better.
That's a bad reason to be atheist, just so y'all know.  There are better ones out there. 

Let's look at the butterfly in its chrysalis.  When it's ready to come out, you could carefully slice open the chrysalis, letting it out slip out and rejoin the world quickly, but then it is too weak to fly, as it did not strengthen itself by going through the trial that is the chrysalis.  This is almost identical to the way people are; if you always help a child do his school papers, will he ever learn to do them himself?  No, he will be lost in college, and will likely fail.

So, would any omnipotent being, knowing just how well this metaphor applies to people, knowingly weaken them by helping them all the time?  I doubt it.

I'm not saying "don't be atheist," but don't go whining about how God would be helping out if he was real, because he wouldn't - assuming he is real, which you don't have to believe.  Whatever you believe, even if it's a lack of belief, you should have a good reason.  Not having a good reason leads to conflict.  In the Crusades, there were many on either side who fully supported the war, simply because it was fought by the religion they were told to follow, and they never thought about it themselves.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 05:16:58 pm »

Isn't Epicurus making an assumption that evil has no purpose?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 05:18:37 pm »

Hey guys, since our last discussion about religion got locked, why don't we start it up here?  Or maybe we cool it for a little bit, and let this rather pointless thread die.  Please?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 06:23:56 pm »

Relgion!

Emphasis mine.

Unfortunately it doesn't portmanteau with anything.

It does, however, sound like the name of some fantasy barbarian warlord, or maybe some kind of robot.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 10:59:41 pm »

Atheist here. However, for some fun discussion:

Quote from: Red Mage, Eight Bit Theater
A kind and loving creator would never have done this, and a cruel one would simply have made the air out of acid.
Quote from: irregular webcomic (No. 2108   2008-11-03)
Oxygen is in fact a fairly nasty chemical. It rusts iron, corrodes copper, and causes many other metals to tarnish or otherwise corrode. It combines with many, many common chemical compounds in a violently energetic and dangerous reaction - which we call fire. And there are some compounds it combines with even more violently, causing what we know as explosions. It can produce nasty byproducts in reactions within our bodies, which eat away at the cells of our bodies, causing damage to them, leading to degenerative diseases of the brain, muscles, and nervous system. (This is why antioxidants - things that prevent this effect of oxygen - are a good thing to have in your body.) Oxygen is dangerous, dangerous stuff.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 11:04:12 pm »

Valhalla is where it is at.

Atheist here. However, for some fun discussion:

Quote from: Red Mage, Eight Bit Theater
A kind and loving creator would never have done this, and a cruel one would simply have made the air out of acid.
Quote from: irregular webcomic (No. 2108   2008-11-03)
Oxygen is in fact a fairly nasty chemical. It rusts iron, corrodes copper, and causes many other metals to tarnish or otherwise corrode. It combines with many, many common chemical compounds in a violently energetic and dangerous reaction - which we call fire. And there are some compounds it combines with even more violently, causing what we know as explosions. It can produce nasty byproducts in reactions within our bodies, which eat away at the cells of our bodies, causing damage to them, leading to degenerative diseases of the brain, muscles, and nervous system. (This is why antioxidants - things that prevent this effect of oxygen - are a good thing to have in your body.) Oxygen is dangerous, dangerous stuff.

Why?

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 11:13:17 pm »

That's a bad reason to be atheist, just so y'all know.  There are better ones out there.

The reason to be an atheist is because there is no evidence for any god.  One issue that points out this lack of evidence is the problem of evil, which Epicurus is clearly stating.

Let's look at the butterfly in its chrysalis.  When it's ready to come out, you could carefully slice open the chrysalis, letting it out slip out and rejoin the world quickly, but then it is too weak to fly, as it did not strengthen itself by going through the trial that is the chrysalis.  This is almost identical to the way people are; if you always help a child do his school papers, will he ever learn to do them himself?  No, he will be lost in college, and will likely fail.

So the evil in the world is just like a chrysalis, or a child's homework.  Right.

So, would any omnipotent being, knowing just how well this metaphor applies to people, knowingly weaken them by helping them all the time?  I doubt it.

The metaphor doesn't apply well at all.  Unless you actually think evil things done to people are actually for their benefit.

I'm not saying "don't be atheist," but don't go whining about how God would be helping out if he was real, because he wouldn't - assuming he is real, which you don't have to believe.

It isn't about a god "helping me out," it's about an omnipotent and all-good being allowing evil.  Of course, if the god we're discussing is the one from the "Old Testament," then he performed plenty of evil acts on his own.

Whatever you believe, even if it's a lack of belief, you should have a good reason.  Not having a good reason leads to conflict.  In the Crusades, there were many on either side who fully supported the war, simply because it was fought by the religion they were told to follow, and they never thought about it themselves.

Not sure what your point is here.  That "Old Testament" guy I mentioned earlier directed his followers to perform plenty of evil acts, including war and genocide.  Those who directed and participated in the Crusades thought they had the best of reasons:  a god told them to do it.

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 11:14:12 pm »

Isn't Epicurus making an assumption that evil has no purpose?

I would say yes, and that he is correct in making that assumption.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 11:17:43 pm »

I follow the Word of the Almighty Spellcheck in the Sky, so by this thread's title alone, I consider this entire thing blasphemous.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7