Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2137404 times)

HDSlugMoar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9345 on: August 02, 2015, 11:48:47 pm »

Had a similar situation today when a cave crocodile crawled into my dining hall.  I nearly lost about 30 dwarves.

...To dehydration.  The crocodile killed a woodcutter, but got its toe cut up and his head dented.  The other dwarves, having a party, surged forward for vengeance as it collapsed from the pain.  They spent like 2-3 seasons crawling over each other, landing 65 pages of punches on its head.  More dwarves would enter the dining room to eat, and would instead join the punch-orgy.  Every blow "bruised" the muscle or fat, which apparently does nothing??  Except maybe keep it unconscious, as it kept waking up then collapsing immediately from the pain. 

At first it was hilarious, then they started getting hungry (and the combat skill gains were disappointing).  It apparently wasn't going to bleed out from its mangled toe, either.  I eventually created a squad of miners, who coup-de-grace'd it with one pick swing.

Also had a similar situation with giant olms in my main stairway. They managed to get the attention of every dwarves in my fort. After about a week everything passes out from exhaustion. However half my dwarves get legendary observer skills and I'm able to just assign some dwarves to a squad and get the olms killed.

Also, my most recent facepalm was when i tried to create a new race from existing raws but then some how ended up with all dwarves in all worlds with the edit becoming hydras, all elves becoming sea serpents, unable to get out of their trees, and all humans become mermen/mermaids, who drown because they can't get to water....

But then i realized i shouldn't facepalm, this is a blessing from Armok, finally dwarves will wipe out the immobile elven serpents and kill off all of the remaining mermen.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9346 on: August 02, 2015, 11:58:22 pm »

Yeah they all got high Observer, whatever that does, but little else :/
And nice, sounds like some excellent duplicated raws!  (Duplicating raws, whatever that means exactly, can make the everything go crazy).  I kinda want to download a fun "broken" raw set like that sometime just for the insanity.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9347 on: August 03, 2015, 12:47:07 am »

Honestly, that might end up being the best thing.

And yeah, the whole civilians harmlessly mobbing an unconscious enemy until they starve to death problem seems to be fairly common, I ended up nearly losing half my fort to the first and only giant bat in my world.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

HDSlugMoar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9348 on: August 03, 2015, 09:34:20 am »

The problem with the giant creatures is that punching and kicking them has no effect and that's all your dwarves do if they are not in a squad, however these giant creatures also usually get beaten unconscious quickly because all of your dwarves are usually hitting them in the head which means it will kill more dwarves by canceling their drinking and eating then by killing them itself. However after I had this problem a few times I found that if you just assign some dwarves to a squad with metal weapons or even just wooden weapons they will find some sort of tool and use that instead of just punching the thing.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9349 on: August 03, 2015, 12:36:43 pm »

Building a moat around a hill like this:

#: Hill wall
<: Ramp
. : Hole
  : Ground
|/- : Bridge

##### ####
<.<<<-<<<.<
  .               .
  ........|........

And forgetting to remove the ramps, so the goblins just walked up the hill and then down, and then into the fort.
>_<

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9350 on: August 03, 2015, 12:47:19 pm »

The problem with the giant creatures is that punching and kicking them has no effect and that's all your dwarves do if they are not in a squad, however these giant creatures also usually get beaten unconscious quickly because all of your dwarves are usually hitting them in the head which means it will kill more dwarves by canceling their drinking and eating then by killing them itself. However after I had this problem a few times I found that if you just assign some dwarves to a squad with metal weapons or even just wooden weapons they will find some sort of tool and use that instead of just punching the thing.

Thank you! I had one fort where a crocodile ambushed one of my seven almost immediately on embark. Four others ran over to help him -- but once the croc let go, rather than carry their semiconscious comrade to safety, they insisted on continuing to kick and punch the semiconscious crocodile while their companion bled out, until they all nearly died of thirst.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9351 on: August 03, 2015, 04:11:27 pm »

Also, when I learned you could designate stairwells more than one layer at a time.

Ugh.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9352 on: August 09, 2015, 05:59:17 pm »

So, I walled off a small area in a nightmare biome and started digging a staircase down.

I built this staircase in the corner, directly against the walls, which is the basis for a teleportation bug.

Queue half of the fortress trapped outside in a nightmare biome for months without me noticing. And then, queue the zombie birds.

Here's a hint: it didn't end well.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9353 on: August 09, 2015, 09:30:26 pm »

So, im in a half animating biome, half good, with a dying civ. There have been some fun moments, like the undead ravens that keep popping up, and mauling someone.

1st facepalm: i wad wondering why the 1st victim temains untreated. Id forgotten to enable all of the heal labors.

2) the king has a VERY nice set of rooms. He dies, fir whstever reason. I goto place another sarcophagus, only to see a zombie dwarf standing where the king was buried.  "Well, that is odd, how did... OH DEAR GOD, OTS A REANIMATING BIOME!" So one dwarf gets attacked. I aent the military, and the all die. THEN comes every dwarf looking to take care of every dock cloth, and disose of every body, that is currently mauling them i got the are walled off with 3 dwarves surviving out of 53.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9354 on: August 10, 2015, 04:55:41 pm »

Thank you! I had one fort where a crocodile ambushed one of my seven almost immediately on embark. Four others ran over to help him -- but once the croc let go, rather than carry their semiconscious comrade to safety, they insisted on continuing to kick and punch the semiconscious crocodile while their companion bled out, until they all nearly died of thirst.

If you have a burrow a long way from the conflict, you can set it as an alert zone thingy and all the civilians run there and stop attacking. Downside is the job cancellations.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9355 on: August 11, 2015, 08:03:25 am »

A metalsmith carrying a tin yak bull cage from a trap near the edge of the map with undead invaders slowly bearing down on him. Job cancellations and burrows wouldn't stop him from showing off his strength.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9356 on: August 11, 2015, 08:43:56 am »

A metalsmith carrying a tin yak bull cage from a trap near the edge of the map with undead invaders slowly bearing down on him. Job cancellations and burrows wouldn't stop him from showing off his strength.

Were they cliche fast zombies, or cliche slow zombies? If they were slow, he didn't have anything to worry about and he knew it.

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9357 on: August 11, 2015, 02:38:39 pm »

The corpses were incredibly slow but slightly faster than the smith, it was like watching a bearded slug race. He did live but only because I sent a few cheesemakers with training axes to buy him time to get the last few tiles past the drawbridge.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9358 on: August 11, 2015, 07:33:28 pm »

Did you try forbidding the cage? I forget whether that works or not.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9359 on: August 12, 2015, 06:58:52 am »

Yes, that didn't stop the task either. Also removed stockpile, removed him from task on joblist and forbid the area. It seems hauling is only stopped by some sort of direct attack on dwarf. Fun stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 729