Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129856 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9090 on: January 21, 2015, 03:57:48 am »

>temperature off since the start of the fort
>make a 2z deep magma moat, fill it entirely with magma
>still no temperature
>delicious hematite vein next to the magma moat, I must mine it
>proceed to autodig, naturally I assume dwarves will stop before the magma
>still no temperature
>hematite walls making the moat are NOT warm stone

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9091 on: January 21, 2015, 11:41:01 am »

Why would a player turn temperature off? Does it improve performance?
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9092 on: January 21, 2015, 11:49:29 am »

Yes, fewer calculations with few actual effects... well, apart from the warm stone thing...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9093 on: January 22, 2015, 03:53:17 am »

Vastly.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9094 on: January 22, 2015, 05:43:36 am »

The fail is strong in this one... *cheap yoda impression*

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9095 on: January 22, 2015, 08:38:34 am »

That's one heck of a bird!
hamster cheese supplies are low

Lordhermitcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9096 on: January 23, 2015, 09:23:22 pm »

In an early fortress I had, a fire-breating, 6-legged titan lizard decided to visit. This quickly escalated into madness, as I wasn't prepared. It set fire to the grass, and the entire map burned, with a line of fire cleansing the world. Around the time the lizard arrived, some migrants decided they'd come to stay. Needless to say, most got slaughtered immediately, but one survived in an insane way. This guy was beaten around, and vomited profusely before being fired on by fire. And even though he was on fire and burning violently (while being fired on hundreds of time by fire from the lizard), he was taking very little damage. He smashed the lizards toes into oblivion before starving to death.
THE CONCRETE IS ON FIRE

enisea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9097 on: January 24, 2015, 02:44:35 pm »

I embarked on a troll cave when
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9098 on: January 25, 2015, 12:21:54 am »

I tried making a "tavern" at the site of a worldgen bridge. In the process of building the top floor, I encountered bug 8719 and promptly crashed. I had forgotten to save.

I tried makin a "tavern" a second time. I clearcut the area first. In the process of excavating the basement, the ramp was accidentally demolished. No big deal, I'll just dump some wood to the miner so he can make the bridge (I didn't want to mine in this save). My dwarves decide to dally, and Urist McMiner decides to climb out of the hole to dump the wood himself.

I now gave up on my "no stairs" challenge, and tried to build a staircase. My dwarves cancel building the staircase, due to an item blocking the site. The aforementioned wood.

I now attempted to send a minecart over the edge down the stairwell, ridden by Urist McRampbuilder. She somehow leaps out of the vehicle on the way down the hole (of all times to become intelligent), and now I need a new minecart.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

damnit,urist,youhadonejob

• Bay Watcher
  • ugh don't build your self on that side of the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9099 on: January 26, 2015, 12:23:09 am »

to keep my dwarves from getting cave adaption i would channel a 5x5 tunnel down to the first cavern then run a bridge across it and make it part of my entrance design. in this one fort i had dug a 4 wide channel around a good walled off section of above ground pasture with the downward tunnel in the middle.
i had a caravan arrive from the humans that managed to bring nothing of value, so for that i decided they needed to die. bad idea, two squads died to a single human lasher. as they were leaving i sent an order to make the bridge raise on repeat, i managed to make all of them fall to there death, except misses lasher.  she some how flew 10 z levels up and landed unhurt in the fields uptop. i turned off the lever and waited for the rest of my fort to be slaughtered. she just walked out and left. i waited 2 years for a human siege but nothing came.

i copied the save and tried to find her in adventure mode but no luck, so i went to legends mode. she had been struck down by a wandering dragon on her way back to tell the humans what had happened.

i was mad that i would not be able to hunt her down myself so i made another adventure and went after the beast, i died, and then died again and again and again, finally i landed a lucky blow and knocked it out, where i proceeded to pluck its eyes out and try and bash its head in, it woke up and set me and the forest on fire. i gave up, started a new fort, and the forest is on fire. -_- i will come back to this save later

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9100 on: January 26, 2015, 06:17:11 am »

Yep. You sure as hell did. Yup. That's an embark. On a Troll. Cave.

Well done you!
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9101 on: January 26, 2015, 01:56:53 pm »

Turtling might not be the most dorfly way of dealing with a Goblin seige, but my military isn't ready yet,  so thank Armok for strong walls and drawbridges! I have a well, and plenty of food, and can last here indefinitely. Bring it!

* Suddenly my screen gets filled with job cancellation spam, due to "Interrupted by Goblin Crossbowman" and "Horrified" *
Sure enough, there's a goblin shooting cross-bow bolts everywhere.

What the... how did he get in here?

.. turns out there was a HOLE in the roof of my first Z-level underground, and the goblin had fallen in from above. HTF did that hole get there?!!
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9102 on: January 26, 2015, 02:02:03 pm »

You didn't actually NEED anything in that wagon right away, did you?
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9103 on: January 26, 2015, 04:23:04 pm »

.. turns out there was a HOLE in the roof of my first Z-level underground, and the goblin had fallen in from above. HTF did that hole get there?!!

If you dig the roots of a tree completely away and then fell the tree afterwards then it will result in a hole where the tree has formerly been.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9104 on: January 26, 2015, 05:15:41 pm »

If you dig the roots of a tree completely away and then fell the tree afterwards then it will result in a hole where the tree has formerly been.
And you can get such holes even in built stone walls. A group of trees just loves one area I filled with walls and keeps spawning there. And felling each of them makes a hole inside granite block walls because tree roots are apparently strong enough to replace those walls. -.-
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 729