Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129956 times)

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #210 on: May 31, 2009, 03:57:35 pm »

New one. I just read that when designating mining areas using the mouse, apparently right clicking will function the same as hitting enter. So you can select an entire rectangle of arbitrary area in two clicks.

I had completely given up on using the mouse because I thought you could only designate tiles one at a time!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 31, 2009, 04:23:35 pm »

I just read that when designating mining areas using the mouse, apparently right clicking will function the same as hitting enter. So you can select an entire rectangle of arbitrary area in two clicks.

Sweet Jesus! Thatīll completely revolutionize my mining!

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 31, 2009, 04:43:41 pm »

Wow. Awesome. I was excited enough when I found out about click designating, this is gonna rock.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 31, 2009, 05:29:27 pm »

Wow! I have got to try that! No more direct key spamming to get the right sized rooms...

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 31, 2009, 06:20:07 pm »

New one. I just read that when designating mining areas using the mouse, apparently right clicking will function the same as hitting enter.

In my experience, right clicking puts the cursor where you clicked. Right clicking and hitting enter, on the other hand...
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 31, 2009, 06:50:54 pm »

New one. I just read that when designating mining areas using the mouse, apparently right clicking will function the same as hitting enter.
In my experience, right clicking puts the cursor where you clicked. Right clicking and hitting enter, on the other hand...
I agree with this man's assessment.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 01, 2009, 06:58:43 pm »

Just had a new one. The fort I am currently playing has been around for about 5 years now, occasionally under seige by orcs, and once by humans, after I got them all killed on their last visit (due to orcs). Well, recently a human caravan (sans wagons, since my bridges were up) appeared. Not wanting to further anger them, I opened my bridges to let them in. At that same moment, an orc seige appears, but I figure the humans will get in soon, so I left my bridges open so my traps would deal with the orcs. Unfortunately, the humans just sat on the edge of the map. More unfortunately, I forgot orcs are trap immune. So my marksdwarves (all 3 of them, my entire army) shot the oncoming orcs as I told my dwarves to pull the level to close my innermost and outermost of 3 drawbridges. By the time the dwarf gets to the levers, the orcs are between my second and outer drawbridges. This is when I realize they are trap immune. Then, I also notice my inner most drawbridge I had forgotten to hook the level up to. By that point, the orcs are on the second drawbridge, which due to the inner on being not hooked up was my last defense. By the time the level for that bridge is pulled, all but two of the orcs have run over the bridge, and proceed to slaughter my 3 marksdwarves. Then, since my innermost bridge was not hooked up, they run in and proceed to slaughter civilians. I recruit the entire fort, and send them all at the attackers. After a big melee brawl near my main stairway, all but 2 orcs are dead, with a majority of my dwarves dead and many of the survivors wounded. The final two orcs are eventually hunted down. Overall, my fort with a population of 79 went down to a population of 12. 8 of which are to wounded to get out of bed, at least half of that 8 permanently. Of the remaining 4, are a ledgendary miner, a peasant, a legendary child (fell moods ftw) and an unskilled child. With miasma flooding through the main stairway, both children are tantruming (as children are prone to doing after watching 75 of their friends get slaughtered by orcs). The miner and peasant seem somewhat unphased by the event somehow, probably due to my ledgendary dining rooms. The fort ran out of ale, and I am currently trying to pull it back from the brink of destruction. *sigh* I have my work cut out for me.

This isn't really a 'face palm moment...' More of "A series of unfortunate events."

Now I have learned my lesson... Open the gates only for migrants!

Edit: make that 11 survivors... The tantrumming ledgendary child just threw a wounded planter down the main stairway (about 7 z levels).

make that 10... 1 died of thirst now...
9... 1 went crazy
8... 1 starved
7... another died of thirst
6... 1 hunger... just 2 wounded left
Taking care of the wounded: URE DOIN IT WRONG!
This place makes Boatmurdered look tame...
Oh! It seems just to add insult to injury, A TITAN DECIDED TO SHOW UP!!! That means no migrants!
"No one even considered making the journey to such a cursed death-trap this season." Seems no migrants will be willing to come for a very long time...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 07:40:57 pm by alway »

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 01, 2009, 08:22:34 pm »

CATCH that titan, and tame it (through modding). They will come. Breached keys was in a FAR worse state, and it managed to pull back. And that was from a boatmurder-esque tantrum spiral. Only with psychotic woodcutters instead of flaming engravers. Worse state, as in "only migrant with ability to restore fort is across a hippo infested river, or I have to rely on a tantrumming child to destroy the one bed the legendary miner is resting in".
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 01, 2009, 10:04:25 pm »

ultimate one? well i tend to have stone stockpiles outside what i'm building, with ramps on the outside wall for easy access for roofing (I was making an above ground fort) and while i'm finishing off the entrance hall for the barracks.. Orcs come "Oh this will be no problem" I think as i recruit my 7 dwarves and pull them into the doorless barracks, safe in the knowledge that the enemy cannot break through the entrance ha-...oh wait... NOO the orcs climb the ramp, and go down the stairs I had ready to place archers on the roof later game.... 2 dwarves got out of the barracks into the dining room (swiftly locking the door) one went insane and started throwing his clothes around.. the last survivor eventually went melancholy and refused to eat...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 02, 2009, 06:02:09 am »

Yay! A few seasons later, one of the two remaining wounded healed fully and is back to work! Now I am up to 3 adults and 2 children uninjured!

One of the children grew up, so now I have a ledgendary peasant (lol).

And once again, no migrants came to my 'cursed death-trap.'   :'(

And now, a year and a half after they all got slaughtered... Yet another message telling me no migrants are coming. I really hope it isn't much longer before they do...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:36:57 pm by alway »

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 02, 2009, 08:09:33 am »

Placing my entire army in the arena, lifting the bridges and attempting to pit a Titan in.

Mr Titan didn't take to kindly to the attempted pitting, broke free and tore open my Mayor and about ten other dwarves before I could get the bridge down to sort it out.

I facepalmed hard at that one..
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 02, 2009, 02:57:15 pm »

Another facepalm moment just occured. Same fort.
Remember what I said above?
Now I have learned my lesson... Open the gates only for migrants!
Well I lied. I opened the gates for some elven traders. Guess what came with them? A band of freeking trap immune kobold marksmen!!! I didn't even know kobold had bands which could attack! Of my 6 remaining dwarves, 2 died, and 1 received a yellow wound. Great. Now all I have left is a child and 3 adults. And I think there may be more kobolds sneeking around in my fort somewheres.

I hate elves. I hate orcs. I hate humans. I hate kobolds. I hate everything except migrants. Dangit, it is about time to build a magma cannon.

Edit: and for the fourth time in a row, no migrants want to come...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:08:54 pm by alway »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 02, 2009, 04:44:48 pm »

Kobold marksmen come if they steel too much junk from you.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 02, 2009, 05:01:03 pm »

i'm not sure its related to that, i think i've had kobold ambushers (i dont think kobolds ever seige) in pretty new forts where nothing had been stolen yet.

i think its just random, or perhaps related to the closeness of your kobold civs.

either way, it might be a good idea (maybe you tried this, i didnt read the earlier posts in detail) to build an "airlock" around your trade depot, with an inner and an outter door.  only open the outer door until the traders (or even migrants are inside, then close the outer door and open the inner if there is a cause.

for bonus points, make the whole thing floodable with the fluid of your choice.

Esgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 02, 2009, 05:07:29 pm »

While working on one of my first forts, I found a volcano rather early. Not too far from my main door was said volcano. I, being the industrious Dwarf that I am, dug all the way to the warm walls. I then wondered, "Hmmm, I wonder if diagonal warm walls will release magma if they're dug through?". Turns out they do. 5/7 of my dwarves locked themselves in their rooms while the magma filled the hallways! A desperate release of the irrigation system only created an obsidian dam, trapping the poor souls in their rooms where they expired from heat (and one from injuries, despite being A-OK when he went in). The last two were trapped in the basement with enough food to last them a very, very long time.

Lesson learned. Diagonals do count.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 729