Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129857 times)

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8715 on: August 09, 2014, 08:59:47 pm »

Think I've figured out why I have so many casualties harvesting trees on slopes...

I pick one corner of a box, move it to another corner, and then drop the box several levels.   This results in trees being designated at a variety of points. 

For example:
  * Where the tree reaches the ground
  * Half way up the tree.

Dwarves will happily stand on a tree to chop it down, accessing non-ground chopping points by using the adjacent slope.

//Torrenal

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8716 on: August 11, 2014, 01:34:41 am »

Think I've figured out why I have so many casualties harvesting trees on slopes...

I pick one corner of a box, move it to another corner, and then drop the box several levels.   This results in trees being designated at a variety of points. 

This is new to me. Up until .40.04 trees were only designated for chopping at a single location (the last one selected).
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8717 on: August 11, 2014, 05:57:07 am »

In my current fort I dug out a central shaft (similar to world gen forts) with a few dodge traps at the top and a 20 z-lvl drop onto a lead floor in the center of my Main Hall. This being in 40.06 I haven't actually had invaders to send through, but after 6 children decided it would be fun to divebomb into it from the top I at least know it should be somewhat effective.

I have since added some retractable "safety" bridges every few levels...

VDOgamez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8718 on: August 11, 2014, 10:26:27 am »

I kept getting messages saying members of my military were going missing, but I had no idea why, because all they were supposed to be doing was training. I just put it up to playing unsafely around the entrance bridge over a volcano, because that was what had caused the last five disappearances and the merchant caravan exploding. And I had plenty more dwarves to draft. Before too long, though, I was on the edge of a tantrum spiral and finally remembered how to check the combat reports. It turns out, every single one of those dead dwarves had been punched to death by the same military member during sparring. Apparently he doesn't know his own strength, and just started punching everyone around him to death while they all cried about their friends dying. Anyway, that fort died because I accidentally designated one of the aforementioned volcano entrance tiles and the whole map lava-flooded.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8719 on: August 11, 2014, 01:39:20 pm »

In my current fort I dug out a central shaft (similar to world gen forts) with a few dodge traps at the top and a 20 z-lvl drop onto a lead floor in the center of my Main Hall. This being in 40.06 I haven't actually had invaders to send through, but after 6 children decided it would be fun to divebomb into it from the top I at least know it should be somewhat effective.

I have since added some retractable "safety" bridges every few levels...

in 40.06, the children were the invaders. Sounds like you found a good way to deal with them. ;)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8720 on: August 11, 2014, 06:44:54 pm »

in 40.06, the children were the invaders. Sounds like you found a good way to deal with them. ;)

That may be true, but several of the ones that decided to go cliff diving were nearly adults, and had good armor/weapon preferences that I was really looking forward too  ;)

christopher1006

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8721 on: August 12, 2014, 09:45:46 pm »

I tried to close the bridge and fling goblins back from whence they came except I built the bridge backwards, launching fully armed and armored goblins directly in to my "Totally trained and prepared for war" "army".

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8722 on: August 13, 2014, 05:59:57 am »

Oooh good one, always check your bridges, if it's not backwards then it's set to retract.

I just spent the first eternally drawn out moments of an embark (an hour under pause) designating a complex cistern system for a hot map, only to see every pool dry before the miner's make it 10 tiles from the wagon.  Fine, fine, shoot for caverns.  3 Dry caverns.  Bugger it, scrap the whole world.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8723 on: August 13, 2014, 08:51:24 pm »

I opened a cage containing a weremammoth before his enclosure bridge-door was shut. 46 deaths-by-pummeling ensured before He was caught at the gates.

It was terrifying.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8724 on: August 14, 2014, 08:34:04 am »

I tried to close the bridge and fling goblins back from whence they came except I built the bridge backwards, launching fully armed and armored goblins directly in to my "Totally trained and prepared for war" "army".

Them bridges...it's a little counter-intuitive how the flinging works. Creatures get flung in any direction except the direction the bridge raises. Luckily for you, this means that in the future your outer bridge can double as a siege flinger and a siege smasher.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8725 on: August 14, 2014, 11:18:02 am »

"Stupid marksdwarves, the crossbow is for shooting bolts, not using it as an ersatz warhammer!  >:( Y U no practice shooting?"
(Wait a second... did I assign them any...)

(m)ilitaty -->(f) ammunition
Fleshpiercer (my marksdwarf squad): [none]

The Nerd slaps the Nerd in the forehead with his right palm, bruising the muscle!

Fun fact: ammo-less marksdwarves like to jump off fortifications to chase down the enemy.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:19:43 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8726 on: August 14, 2014, 03:40:47 pm »

First Autum: "The Werepanda Uce Caniari has come! [yadda yadda] You will know why you fear the night."

Well, shit, my military isnt' nearly ready to take that on, and I forgot to build a drawbridge for lockdown.  Crap, well, might as well watch this guy kill everyone.

*Werepanda chases my gatherer*

Sorry, bud, you're the first.

*Gatherer runs up into the trees and crosses the river among the branches, gets down on the other side and continues to flee*

Not gonna help, man, werecreatures can cross water easy.

*Werepanda dives into the river*

See?

"Uce Caniari has turned into a human."

Wha-  *Checks bottom of the river*

"Uce Canari's Corpse"

*Facepalm*

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8727 on: August 14, 2014, 07:45:04 pm »

I dug a cistern, to be filled by a river.  Perfectly standard design, diagonal pressure-relief passage on the cistern fill level-- OOH SHINY!  Gems in the passages.  OK, let's dig up the gems, and get them carted out, before we seal up the access tunnel.  Poke holes in the level above, for wells.  The river's currently frozen, so it won't fill up until the spring thaw.

Come spring, the flooding started.  When I dug out the gems, I got rid of the diagonal passage, and didn't even notice.  Water up through the well holes, south through the tunnel to the central stairwell....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

cvaneseltine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8728 on: August 14, 2014, 08:01:33 pm »

+quartzite statue of Commander Dumat Stokednumbers+
This is a finely-crafted quartzite statue of Commander Dumat Stokednumbers the dwarf and dwarves in quartzite by Miner Ushat Kanzuntir. Commander Dumat Stokednumbers is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the appointment of the dwarf vampire Commander Dumat Stokednumbers to the position of militia commander of The Blue Lance in the early summer of 251.

...you KNEW?  You knew and you elected him ANYWAY?

facepalm.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8729 on: August 14, 2014, 08:27:08 pm »

+quartzite statue of Commander Dumat Stokednumbers+
This is a finely-crafted quartzite statue of Commander Dumat Stokednumbers the dwarf and dwarves in quartzite by Miner Ushat Kanzuntir. Commander Dumat Stokednumbers is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the appointment of the dwarf vampire Commander Dumat Stokednumbers to the position of militia commander of The Blue Lance in the early summer of 251.

...you KNEW?  You knew and you elected him ANYWAY?

facepalm.

He may eat one of his constituents every three months, but you can't ague with his "Free Hot Cinnamon Rolls For All Dwarves" political platform.
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 729