Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130043 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7980 on: September 07, 2013, 11:03:04 pm »

There's no such thing as a sparring throw in DF.

Edit: Did you get the 'killed somebody by accident while sparring recently' thought from it?

Nope, which was strange and in fact that's what I went to look for in DT and while that wasn't there, I did see a 'lost ___ to tragedy recently' for a few dwarves.

It was a strange event overall, right outta nowhere. Actually, I'm not 100% sure if it started with a sparring session and it looked like a random attack. In hindsight, I probably could have checked the justice screen to see if anybody was being accused of murder.

Edit: Checked the dorfs in the squads and no grudges, also I had tried to have both squads use the same armor stand for the barracks, but it didn't look like both squads would train using one armor stand, so I made another barracks room instead.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:09:40 pm by smjjames »

Jarnis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: September 08, 2013, 02:32:04 am »

So I was happily building a waterfall through the center of my central spiral ramp, working my way down channeling holes and applying grates to every level.

At the bottom, to prevent water littering the floor when it finally impacts the bottom, I decided to build three level deep cistern, with the bottom floor being the roof of the first cavern level, above a large cavern lake (which was walled off - I had about 70% of the cavern area safely walled and being utilized for farming & pastures).

So I just channeled down and then expanded to channeling a 5x5 area, with two miners working. At the bottom I punched a "service tunnel" off to north (to be walled when construction is complete) and a runoff tunnel to the east, towards grates that would drain the water to the cavern below. All fairly simple stuff.

I had an inkling of doubt in my mind "excavating large multi-story spaces... channeling... danger Will Robinson, danger..." but I didn't see it coming. Having already cleaned out the bottom part, I made a little mistake designating the floors above for removal and...

COLLAPSE. Two squares of floor ended up without support, went down and both miners got caught in the blast. That's gotta hurt.

/facepalm

COLLAPSE. Two holes opened to the bottom floor as the collapse went through the floor of the cistern and the miners fell 4 z-levels to the cavern below. One of them actually landed on land and lived(!) with fairly minor injuries. The other guy wasn't so lucky - fell into the drink, stunned and drowned (a legendary miner, naturally).

/double facepalm

I now had a corpse and an injured dwarf in the walled-off section of the cavern that also contained a Forgotten Beast that had wandered in earlier.

another /double facepalm

A bit of emergency mining and the poor guy limped out of the danger zone to the hospital to be Professionally Patched Up(tm) and the military got to the scene just in time to contain the FB. Luckily it was a pushover and didn't get any hits with the poisonous sting. Left the guys covered in some icky stuff tho, but I soon had a fort-wide "shower" across the middle to clean up any residuals so no harm done.

Not sure why nobody went for the corpse of the dead miner (there was even a coffin labeled for him) so I also engraved a slab for safety. Casualty #6 for the fort (#5 was a guy who somehow got run over by a minecart that is set up on the central spiral and #1-4 were casualties from an early goblin siege)

Next stop; Digging deeper! I need some flux stone...

PetWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: September 11, 2013, 04:04:50 pm »

I decided my current fort's military is tricked out enough to handle a siege for sport and practice, rather than leaving it to the dodge-me trap. My fort has three entrances: One is the dodge-me trap, one is for easy access below the trap for cleanup, and the third is a wide entrance for wagons. I closed off the cleanup entrance, activated an alert, and positioned marksdwarves at the wagon entrance, figuring the dodge-me trap could protect itself.

I watched my marksdwarves pick off a squad of goblins and then a squad of trolls. A few of the enemies had gotten close, so I checked my status screen to see if my dwarf count had gone down. I'd lost a dwarf! So I kept it paused and started looking through combat logs. Marksdwarf fires a bolt, gobbo swings and misses, "it  the clothier in the leg" - what?

Zoom! Looked like a dwarf had fallen from the dodge-me trap and is headed up. Unlikely to make it. Well, one dwarf, not too bad. But where was the death? I found that in the combat log, too - on the bridge with the dodge-me trap. Okay, so a couple dwarves got stuck outside when I closed the fast way in, and they tangled with goblins taking the long way in. I unpaused and noticed several dwarves running on the dodge-me bridge - the wrong way.

So I'd lose a few idiots, right? No, not a few. They kept coming. As I watched in horror, dwarf after dwarf ran up, out of the fortress, across the traps, and into the waiting arms of goblin lashers. My military was bored and unharmed at the wide-open doorway below while two dozen were dead and more were injured, locked out, or headed out the door on suicide missions. I double-checked my alert burrow, but it was configured sanely. I looked at the dwarves to see what they were up to, and every single one of them had "No Job" as they ran to their deaths.

I facepalmed, then I raged and yelled at the dwarves, because that always helps, and then I savescummed.

black47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: September 12, 2013, 12:28:03 pm »

Maybe the wiki is outdated? it says there is  :-\ http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Training#Injury

And if I remember correctly, I once had a dodge in a sparring session that ended in death just because of passers-by. Maybe it was that.

amateurs.

Get really unlucky, and you can go from 26 to 157 in one. single. freaking. wave. Their children, their brothers, their sisters...damn, it's like a tsunami of kids.

amateur
A tsunami of water will solve your tsunami of kids in no time.  8)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7984 on: September 12, 2013, 12:41:23 pm »

Maybe the wiki is outdated? it says there is  :-\ http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Training#Injury

And if I remember correctly, I once had a dodge in a sparring session that ended in death just because of passers-by. Maybe it was that.

I didn't see the bad thought related to sparring accidents and I'm not even sure how to replicate it and I can't replicate the exact conditions because the dwarves skills have increased since.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: September 12, 2013, 07:54:31 pm »

Most attacks made during sparring show up in the sparring reports and do nothing but lightly tap the target body part, or take hold of it and immediately release it. Throws, however, appear in the combat reports and do the same amount of damage they would do in live combat.

In 40d, dwarves would spar as though fighting an enemy, which necessitated the use of low-powered weapons for sparring (and even then, a neck or spine injury would stop a dwarf from sparring forever). In .31, this was changed to the 'light tapping' system and sparring was made completely safe. In whichever update allowed damage from falling objects, creatures started being able to take damage from skidding along the ground, and no exception was made for sparring dwarves.

In short, while dwarves will attack generally and also throw each other while sparring, the throws are not made with the same restraint as the rest of the attacks and act as though the dwarf was fighting for real.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

mcbucko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: September 13, 2013, 03:59:54 am »

The first death I had in my new fort didn't come from animals, goblins, or industrial accidents. I have a vampire.

Well after poking around in my citizen's thoughts, I found the bloodsucker. He's my best hunter and head of my crossbow squad. Oh ffs.

I think I might just have to put up with his shenanigans because of how useful he is.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: September 13, 2013, 06:43:11 am »

The first death I had in my new fort didn't come from animals, goblins, or industrial accidents. I have a vampire.

Well after poking around in my citizen's thoughts, I found the bloodsucker. He's my best hunter and head of my crossbow squad. Oh ffs.

I think I might just have to put up with his shenanigans because of how useful he is.
You will change your mind when he sucks dry all your legendary smithes. Vampires seems to consider blood of skilled dwarfs more tasty.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7988 on: September 13, 2013, 03:58:31 pm »

not worth it. atomsmash him and train new marksdwarves.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: September 13, 2013, 04:00:03 pm »

A 100z drop should do nicely, you want to recover his stuff after all.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: September 13, 2013, 11:02:25 pm »

Had a pony show up as "opposed to life" today during a migrant wave, had a soldier kill him. That was an oopsie. 5 dwarfbucks to the fella who guesses what happened next.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 11:04:11 pm by the1337doofus »
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: September 14, 2013, 02:03:00 am »

loyalty cascade.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: September 14, 2013, 02:41:11 am »

The soldier got his or her head kicked in?

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: September 14, 2013, 10:25:07 am »

loyalty cascade.

5 DWARFBUCKS TO THIS GOOD MAN!

And it wasn't just a loyalty cascade. It was a full on Failcannon. We should make that a verb for when someone pulls a massive loyalty cascade.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: September 14, 2013, 08:01:22 pm »

I once started a settlement right next to a volcano.  I had everything set up.  Dig right into it, set up the kitchen, farms, bedrooms, and workshops.  The magma had been channeled to where I wanted it, at the cost of a brave (but not very fast running) engraver.  I started to set up the magma smelters and everything was going well.  I was set up for life!  Never ending energy for producing metal weapons and tools.  A untouched landscape.  Dwarfs ready to start digging deep into the earth.  Everything was going great!

Than the Dwarfs started to tantrum and die. 

I have forgotten to make a still. 

:'(

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 729