Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129997 times)

Noobed2696

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6825 on: August 08, 2012, 03:14:21 am »

More fun with water:

My main goal with my fort was to get military training down, and waste management/aquifers down.

Boy have I learned stuff.

I built a mass pit disposal with 3x2 hatches, 3 urist deep.  Next time I'll make the fortification/shooting gallery type with an atom smasher in it.

I built a water system (my first working water wheel + pumpstack + aqueduct) to flood it from the top down and pump it from the bottom back up and into the top of the aquifer.

I built an atom smasher in it after I read the wiki on them.  Only problem is that I built it so it was underneath two of the hatches, so anything dropped from them would land on top of the bridge and levitate there, even when it was down.

I also started a huge item dump and after while there were too many dwarfs in there and I needed to dump the hatches, so I did.  Like 20 dwarfs somehow ended up in there stacked on just a couple squares.  The pit has two z worth of 7/7 water in it, and at this point the pump stack isn't returning the water, to the aquifer, it's just moving it to the top of the pump stack.  So dwarfs fall in, they let go of their babys to tread water and get onto the closed off stair scaffolds.  I have to simultaneously clear the floor from the top of the scaffold and design a maintenance passage for the other side of the pump stack, a flood gate to control if it's filling the aquifer or not, and pump the water out...  When the floor tile is taken out the dwarves finally get out and all the ones that can still walk bolt for the food and ale.

Two or three lost babies, I don't think there were any other serious injuries.

and there's a dwarf stuck on top of the atom smasher bridge for almost two months with a broken everything.  I had to dig out a new scaffold to get him off of the corner of the bridge.  It took a week for someone to finally decide to pull him to the hospital after I go the path to him made.

So: Use an atom smasher, but only make it 1 Z deep and keep the door away from the edge of the pit.

Water is always good for FUN.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6826 on: August 08, 2012, 03:47:41 am »

Had a vampire killing off Urists in the sleeping quarters. The third time I caught a break and a wit was found, the wife of the victim.After the standard interview scene with consoling but inquisitive policedorfs Urist McWidow tells the whole story and points towards the perp with the usual shock reveal because he's a family dorf with four kids.The justice system let her down though because the police used brutal tactics to illict a confession from Urist McPerp and he got off on a technicality but required hospitalisation for his wounds.(forgot to designate the cage as a jail and he got a beating instead)He did the world a favour and died from dehydration though so it seemed he got his........except vampires don't die from thirst :o

Turns out the wife invited him over.She needed a patsy for the murders.Her husband had found out about her and she killed him to keep him quiet then called over Urist McInnocent and drugged him before smearing blood on him and then started screaming.Would have got away with it too if the drugs had'nt turned up in his toxicology report (I read on dwarf fortress wiki that vampires will try to confuse the issue by blaming someone else).You could say the clue  8) was in the blood.

Next time on CSI:Boatmurdered...
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6827 on: August 08, 2012, 03:54:53 am »

Next time on CSI:Boatmurdered...

Hey, I would watch that :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Langolier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6828 on: August 08, 2012, 08:27:30 am »

I'm pretty sure I've got a nasty situation brewing. I'm currently on one of those half evil/half normal embarks. Got things going pretty good, and decided to capture a Yak bull corpse in the basement just for kicks. But then during the first caravan and liason visit, apparently a couple more yak corpses decided to show up and attack the caravan, killing two Dwarves on the evil side. Between that drama and keeping the liason safe, I went back and the captured corpse is nowhere to be seen. I am scared to zoom to it on the units screen because I can almost guarantee it's about two seconds from bursting in on the dining hall and ruining somebody's lunch.

Also, in reference to Henrik Undrgrim's post
I have no experience with crime yet- are the investigations and whatnot really that in depth? Holy cow

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6829 on: August 08, 2012, 08:31:29 am »

I have no experience with crime yet- are the investigations and whatnot really that in depth? Holy cow
If you want them to be. You're technically allowed to convict anyone you feel like the second the crime appears in the justice screen. People can convict animals, the dead, hell, even the victim. The dwarves get upset if you do any of these, by the way, especialy the last one. However, there are often conflicting reports from justice, with the vampire accusing someone else, or no one noticing at all.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6830 on: August 08, 2012, 12:08:16 pm »

get a migrant wave, 3 are traders.

opens DFHack...

but gods, why always traders to me?
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6831 on: August 08, 2012, 01:20:00 pm »

(Playing Masterwork Mod)
I get notified of a siege.  Zoom to the first squad and see that is ferric elves.  I correctly set my DB's to divert to the trap/dodge corridor and go back to working in the fort.  I then notice a LOT of "interrupted by a ferric elf" messages. wtf?  It is at that point that I notice that the elves are riding giant hornet queens and they just jumped the walls!  Face, meet palm.  My front door guard of mastiffs, golems, and slade turrets holds them off as my army rushes to meet them.  Now I need to go an collect all the random ammo my archers shot into the sky.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

ZestDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Come Learn Dwarf Fortress!
« Reply #6832 on: August 08, 2012, 08:02:47 pm »

I wish nobles were not so damn useless. I am keeping my king and count around just because its cooler to have a king, But the problem is the asshole king keeps asking for fricken LARGE GEMS and i have to cut all my regular gems up and hope for a large one.
so i started ignoring the bastard, who asks for more of that and catapult parts (i have no use for these) every time i fulfill the request.
It was fine so far until he randomly imprisons my elite marksdwarf.
I wouldn't be bothered if ANY OF THOSE LAZY PIECE OF CRAP DWARVES WOULD HAVE GAVE HIM WATER. I even had a 4 tile stockpile in his cell for booze, but no one brought any. I check my stockpile 2000 units of booze. So he dehydrated and died and im out one important dwarf for a useless piece of crap noble and 100 other useless dwarves who didn't want to stop scratching their asses to save the guy..
Im thinking regicide and then doomsday weapon to annihilate the rest. Lazy bastards have it coming. Who the hell needs more than 50 dwarves anyway? i have 160 and even though i set the population cap more of the useless bastards keep coming.
Come learn the game, or share your favorite DF stories with me on my twitch channel! https://www.twitch.tv/bluezesttv

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6833 on: August 08, 2012, 09:59:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've got a nasty situation brewing. I'm currently on one of those half evil/half normal embarks. Got things going pretty good, and decided to capture a Yak bull corpse in the basement just for kicks. But then during the first caravan and liason visit, apparently a couple more yak corpses decided to show up and attack the caravan, killing two Dwarves on the evil side. Between that drama and keeping the liason safe, I went back and the captured corpse is nowhere to be seen. I am scared to zoom to it on the units screen because I can almost guarantee it's about two seconds from bursting in on the dining hall and ruining somebody's lunch.

Might have rotted away; have a look for some Yak bull bones and skulls.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6834 on: August 09, 2012, 01:34:17 am »

Note to Self:
While digging a magma dump chute, be sure to reveal the bottom tile before channeling it out.
An unrevealed square of semi-molten rock turns into an indestructible ramp when tunneled into. Stuff landing onto indestructo-ramp will not be removed from game but instead stuck there forever.
*Sus slaps Sus in the head with his right palm, bruising the muscle, shattering the skull, driving the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!*
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6835 on: August 09, 2012, 02:09:49 am »

Note to Self:
While digging a magma dump chute, be sure to reveal the bottom tile before channeling it out.
An unrevealed square of semi-molten rock turns into an indestructible ramp when tunneled into. Stuff landing onto indestructo-ramp will not be removed from game but instead stuck there forever.
*Sus slaps Sus in the head with his right palm, bruising the muscle, shattering the skull, driving the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!*

Memory edit software can take care of that no problem. DFhack's "noramp" command should take care of it.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6836 on: August 09, 2012, 02:16:25 am »

Note to Self:

Memory edit software can take care of that no problem. DFhack's "noramp" command should take care of it.
But that's cheeeating... :(
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6837 on: August 09, 2012, 02:18:49 am »

If you honestly think leaving that ramp intact will be more !!FUN!!, leave it there. I don't think it makes a difference.

Henrik Undrgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6838 on: August 09, 2012, 04:50:41 am »

Bit of story telling involved there but thats what I pieced together from the game basically.The vampire blamed another for the crime and because I was''nt aware of their ability to point the finger at someone else I killed an innocent dwarf.Next time i'll investigate a bit more carefully if there is only one witness.Should have read the wiki of sililar post re vampires before I acted.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6839 on: August 09, 2012, 07:20:46 am »

Meet Besmar "Toledo" Zesugil. I've been training him for a long time, and gone through a whole lot of metal. He's a Legendary +4 Weaponsmith, with 28,424 out of 29,000 for Legendary +5. Just a tiny bit more to go and he'll finally be ready for the candy!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...really? Now?

Edit: Double facepalm time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, at least you have a crossbow that shoots pretty straight.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 729