Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129960 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4920 on: August 19, 2011, 06:33:37 pm »

Within 12 seconds, 2 of my dwarves were dead, and a 3rd was running for his little bearded life. A friendly alligator had popped out of the river to say hello.
I facepalmed, then told the rest of my dwarves to haul the bloody limbs away from the wagon.

That sounds exactly like how a lot of people's first embark goes.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: August 19, 2011, 06:42:50 pm »

God DAMN Giant Capybaras are bitches. They lob off limbs as if it's no trouble. Hunters have no problem with them but a squad of marksdwarfs loses hands, feet and even entire arms. Even the very first military engagement in this fortress cost my Militia Commander her foot. (And she is now legendary crutchwalker.) Absolutely ridiculous. Oddly enough however, I've yet to lose a single Dwarf. Even to bleeding. But I imagine losing an entire arm causes more bleeding then losing the hand. :(

I second this.  2 feet and 1 hand from 3 dwarves on my first combat for this fort.  Time to file down the teeth on these beasts.
Ancient Avatar

WhiteSpear

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: August 19, 2011, 06:52:56 pm »

Within 12 seconds, 2 of my dwarves were dead, and a 3rd was running for his little bearded life. A friendly alligator had popped out of the river to say hello.
I facepalmed, then told the rest of my dwarves to haul the bloody limbs away from the wagon.

Man, this game is awesome.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: August 20, 2011, 04:41:52 am »

<- never had that in my first times. My dwarves died to murky pool floods and starvation. That is my facepalm.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: August 20, 2011, 06:28:35 am »

<- never had that in my first times. My dwarves died to murky pool floods and starvation. That is my facepalm.

Well, the letter that's involved is different, I guess - but they all end up the same way. A whole lot of death and disappointment.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: August 20, 2011, 07:57:42 am »

Fuuuu one of my miners, Thob Cugganber, digged a small bit out and apparently that was wet. He got wet and because it's cold he was encased in ice immediately. Ded. He was unbelievably strong and tough and had SEVEN friends.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:59:24 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: August 20, 2011, 11:34:09 am »

While getting attacked by attack by a panda when out for a drink one of my woodcutters had his leg torn to sherds as well as losing one of his hands>.>
Then my starting doctor who had almsot no empathy bascily gave him a crutch and thats it. At least he slashed the pandas leg to pieces with a single Slash.
Heres a pic of the insicent of very poor quaility.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

somebody64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: August 21, 2011, 03:20:59 pm »

have walls, drawbridge, and ponds protect my fortress entrance

fort becomes arguably my most successful ever

under siege, thinks I'm safe

forgets ponds freeze for very brief time in winter

FUN

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: August 21, 2011, 03:23:03 pm »

A good portion of my fort is outdoors. No roof.
A goblin seige comes.
Riding giant bats.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: August 21, 2011, 03:29:19 pm »

A goblin seige comes.
Riding giant bats.

Oh. Man. U screwed, dude. Hope they don't realize they can get in. Sometimes they just don't path over the walls.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: August 21, 2011, 06:12:33 pm »

A goblin seige comes.
Riding giant bats.

Oh. Man. U screwed, dude. Hope they don't realize they can get in. Sometimes they just don't path over the walls.
They eventually left, flying right over my fort and scaring the jobs off half my dwarves before exiting the map.
Maybe they don't look down?

EDIT: A flying FB flew up my well, knocked three or four dwarves down to their deaths, and killed two more before an axedwarf chopped it in the head.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:40:13 pm by FuzzyZergling »

S3Cs4uN 8

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels be Kobold: Too Dangerous
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: August 23, 2011, 08:47:49 am »

Building a Magma trap at entrance to fort to catch unsuspecting gobbos/elves forget to put in a way to drain said magma
Ala Kotraldermechebi, Hoardcounter has given birth to octuplets.

Wait What!

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: August 23, 2011, 06:56:19 pm »

I'd set up a burrow for a lever-control dwarf to be stationed in. this controlled the master bridge sealing system that would totally seal in the fortress. The dwarf was later unassigned from the burrow, pending arrangements to keep him sane in there. Ten a seige occured, and they swarmed in past some meager traps that were still in construction. 120 dorfs dead. Fortunately, the sheer number of clothing bits left over allowed a reclaim fortress to have a thriving economy from the beginning! (once you got rid of the random forgotten beasts with two or three embarks of swordsdwarves)
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: August 24, 2011, 01:03:36 pm »

May or may not be a failure of competence, but still, I'm amazed/ashamed. In my most recent embark, I did some searching with dfreveal, and discovered that the magma sea is down on z-level -58. I want to setup my magma forges/obsidian farm on z-level -15, fed by a pump stack from the magma sea. This comes out to a 43 z-level difference, requiring 3 DWRs, 43 pumps, and a fuckuva lot of scaffolding for punching through the caverns. No fear, dwarven engineering will prevail, my body is ready, etc. I make plans to do it in a 4-phase operation; punch through one cavern and to the next, punch through that cavern, punch down to the magma, then install all the pumps and get them turning. In the middle of phase 2, while I was mining out everything I could see in that cavern, one of my dwarves discovered a magma pipe on z-level -40. 18 z-levels higher than I was planning, I could save 19 pumps and a helluva lot of work. If only I'd known about it earlier, I could have planned for it. As it stands, I'll continue with the original plan. I've got everything dug out for the reactors, most of the pump stack, all I need to do now is finish punching down and get the magma going.

Edit: Not that it matters; for whatever reason this game keeps crashing in late summer, so I'll just let it die and try another world.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:55:56 pm by darthbob88 »

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: August 25, 2011, 12:43:52 pm »

Through rigorous and wholly involuntary testing I have come to the conclusion that checking the inventory of my recuperating miners causes the game to crash.

Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 729