Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129948 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3570 on: January 04, 2011, 01:49:36 pm »

nope.

in other news I channeled a moat and filled it with water (well murky pools, so I got 2/7 about everywhere).
It rains and gets it all to 4/7. Then winter. Gobbo ambush, no longrangers, NANANANANA YOU CAN'T GET ME!
the moat freezes.

'nuff said.
KIDS, DONT FILL YOUR MOATS!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: January 04, 2011, 03:46:15 pm »

nope.

in other news I channeled a moat and filled it with water (well murky pools, so I got 2/7 about everywhere).
It rains and gets it all to 4/7. Then winter. Gobbo ambush, no longrangers, NANANANANA YOU CAN'T GET ME!
the moat freezes.

'nuff said.
KIDS, DONT FILL YOUR MOATS!

Temperature off? or get into a warm region next tiem for yer moat to be thaw all year
Crap Im full of fail's
I flooded the room that was supposed to be a underground farm , but well THAT DAMNED MINER DIDNT WANT TO PULL THE LEVER (yes i enabled his labor for that)
Good thing i had a save , i was able to channel it instead with the floodgate leading to the exit closed , and then i made some extra place (ye ye , the flood source was ofc for me a river , if it was a murky pool i wouldnt even bother building flood gates

There's a labor for lever pulling?
I don't think so...

Pfff , I think it has to do something with the Mechanics labor
Desu

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: January 04, 2011, 08:56:13 pm »

KIDS, DONT FILL YOUR MOATS WITH WATER!
Fix'd
nothing

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: January 04, 2011, 11:22:00 pm »

Crap Im full of fail's
I flooded the room that was supposed to be a underground farm , but well THAT DAMNED MINER DIDNT WANT TO PULL THE LEVER (yes i enabled his labor for that)
Good thing i had a save , i was able to channel it instead with the floodgate leading to the exit closed , and then i made some extra place (ye ye , the flood source was ofc for me a river , if it was a murky pool i wouldnt even bother building flood gates

There's a labor for lever pulling?
I don't think so...

[/quote]

Mechanics is for creating and linking levers. Pulling them requires no labors; thus why it's the preferred method for putting/keeping nobles in a specific spot.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: January 05, 2011, 05:26:31 am »

nope.

the moat freezes.

'nuff said.
KIDS, DONT FILL YOUR MOATS WITH WATER!

Temperature off? or get into a warm region next tiem for yer moat to be thaw all year

I know, I was trying  to do a "no cheating" fort with human-middle ages-style defence. I actually chose a warm biome, but it froze anyway (well right next to me was temperate, so I guess even warm can freeze) for about 1 week.

no, any old dwarf can pull a lever.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 05:39:00 am by TolyK »
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: January 05, 2011, 06:17:48 am »

Surely you also built a wall behind the moat? :/
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: January 05, 2011, 06:23:24 am »

it was half done  ;D
my fort value skyrocketed and I got ambushed within a year  :D
Spoiler: random stuff (click to show/hide)
what's funny is that a kobold found them for me... along with a piece of clothing that folks left outside. I actually had 89 dwarves and an mayor, wonder why they didn't siege me (could be value)

oh, and after about a month a hydra came in and mopped them all up. joy!
and I got sieged after tearing down walls. and my 2 survivors got killed my a kobold and goblin snatcher.

that was the most !!FUN!! I've had in a while...
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: January 05, 2011, 06:57:10 am »

Ah. Whoops. :D

Damn, a pack of Rhesus Macaques stole pretty much the entire gear my hunter started with but dropped because I told him not to hunt for now. Goddammit, I prefer wolves over those little thieving assholes.

Heh, damn. Some trees made a mockery of my plan to dig a moat by standing in the way. I had them chopped and thought I could just dig away the tiles they were on. Went okay once, but the second (or maybe first. Was practically at the same time) it knocked the miner out cold. Luckily she was NOT wounded at all. Just unconscious for a minute.

Dammit, I'll teach you yet, Nature! Dwarfs rule this area now!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:03:48 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: January 05, 2011, 08:19:27 pm »

Built a trade depot out of ice.
It melted.  ::)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: January 05, 2011, 08:39:21 pm »

That happened to me once. That site melted only one week in spring.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starmantle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: January 06, 2011, 02:15:27 pm »

My brilliant defense that relied on choke-points at bridges... and then winter came and the rivers froze just as some nasties were coming.

Ug. 

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: January 06, 2011, 03:18:03 pm »

Decided to give my entire fortress a mass bathing to berid of the pages and pages of blood.

Apparently some forgotten beast had got a bit of blood on one of my dwarves armor.

20 rotten limbs and 5 dead children and 3-4 dead cats and dogs and it's all good. *facepalm* The miasma alone almost sent my fort into a spiral, the deaths thankfully didn't.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: January 06, 2011, 04:05:18 pm »

The king just arrived, and he died of old age the instant he stumbled upon the map.
*burrows face in hands in shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame*

EDIT: at least, his consort has arrived. She's 164, so she's gonna kick the bucket soon. At least, she's a competent fighter, has already killed 5 goblins, and has 10 children(!!!). But she has no... err.. preference. She doesn't seem to like any metal, stone, animal, material, product, food, etc.. whatsoever. Perfect mayor? :o

OH AND THE MIGRANTS ARE LEGENDARY WARRIORS.
But no king. Dammit!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 04:14:13 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: January 06, 2011, 10:09:42 pm »

Got siege.  I set my alerts and figured I'd be safe, but then:

Urist McStupid has died. Urist McDummy has died. ETC. about 5 or six more and a couple animals.

What?  I look and a bunch of dwarves are just hanging out at the outdoor statue garden. The alert should have stopped that, but here I stand holding my face to my hand.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: January 07, 2011, 02:33:44 am »

Discovering the reason to build fortifications at floodgates. Having a troll kick in your floodgate and making your fortress a massive indoor lake is a good way to learn it.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 729