Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142086 times)

MnemonicMorg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10245 on: November 25, 2017, 05:42:56 am »

I noticed one of my cooks hunting for small animals the other day- and upon checking the medical screen he seemed so dedicated to this that he was starving and dying of dehydration. I'm fairly new and so came up with my own rationale for this. Since this was the chef and he was in the "kitchen" area of the fort, I assumed this was the case of the ALL TOO FAMILIAR case of chefs going berserk looking for mice, rats, and other small animal vermin. But I also had around 5 cats at the time, all ignoring the kitchen, so the chef must have been less berserk and more loco in the coco.

The face palm moment came when I noticed I just built a soap makers workshop in front of the door leading out. It must've been obvious to everyone BUT ME that he was trapped in there for a long while.

The other facepalm moment came way after when a dorf died because I didn't quite (and still probably don't) understand how channeling down works, making him dig himself deep inside a death hole, refuse to go out, and die during making stairs upwards

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10246 on: November 25, 2017, 03:32:15 pm »

Well... I've been playing around with the new version and just made a horrifying discovery: artifacts can now be traded.

While I would normally be ecstatic about the possibility of getting rid of the more useless artifacts, with the addition of display pedestals, some of these artifacts are less useless than they were before. I'm going to see if I can manage to buy back the three artifacts I accidentally traded away, but it's a bit of a long shot....

I guess I'll have to forbid artifacts before designating my trading goods from now on...

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10247 on: November 25, 2017, 05:06:56 pm »

I noticed one of my cooks hunting for small animals the other day- and upon checking the medical screen he seemed so dedicated to this that he was starving and dying of dehydration. I'm fairly new and so came up with my own rationale for this. Since this was the chef and he was in the "kitchen" area of the fort, I assumed this was the case of the ALL TOO FAMILIAR case of chefs going berserk looking for mice, rats, and other small animal vermin. But I also had around 5 cats at the time, all ignoring the kitchen, so the chef must have been less berserk and more loco in the coco.

The face palm moment came when I noticed I just built a soap makers workshop in front of the door leading out. It must've been obvious to everyone BUT ME that he was trapped in there for a long while.

The other facepalm moment came way after when a dorf died because I didn't quite (and still probably don't) understand how channeling down works, making him dig himself deep inside a death hole, refuse to go out, and die during making stairs upwards

A dwarf will start hunting for small animals to stave off starvation, not to get something to cook. If you see somebody with that job listed, it means that they are probably stuck.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10248 on: November 25, 2017, 09:41:01 pm »

Well... I've been playing around with the new version and just made a horrifying discovery: artifacts can now be traded.

While I would normally be ecstatic about the possibility of getting rid of the more useless artifacts, with the addition of display pedestals, some of these artifacts are less useless than they were before. I'm going to see if I can manage to buy back the three artifacts I accidentally traded away, but it's a bit of a long shot....

I guess I'll have to forbid artifacts before designating my trading goods from now on...
Send a squad to grab them back!

(Trade them again and again! ??? Profit!)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10249 on: November 26, 2017, 06:44:44 am »

Its interesting, because our language is evolving that way - English lacked a singular they, so people took to using they/them/their in a singular way.  We can actually see this happen in our lifetime, as linguists are updating the rules to reflect the consensus
no, there is "it". but noone wants to use it/it/its and instead they use they/them/their.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10250 on: November 26, 2017, 07:28:18 am »

Its interesting, because our language is evolving that way - English lacked a singular they, so people took to using they/them/their in a singular way.  We can actually see this happen in our lifetime, as linguists are updating the rules to reflect the consensus
no, there is "it". but noone wants to use it/it/its and instead they use they/them/their.

It signifies an item, not a person.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10251 on: November 26, 2017, 10:36:21 am »

Singular "they" has been accepted since at least Shakespeare's time, and it's weird that we're having a debate about it.

Here's a real debate topic for you: Is the reflexive form of singular they "themselves" or "themself"?

Anyway I came here to declare that I spent half a year yelling at Urist McWoodcutter for not chopping wood before realizing that I had no metal axes because the lazy embark profile I downloaded hasn't been updated since they fixed the bug that let training axes work for lumberjacking. Oops.

I tried to forge one, but the lazy embark profile also didn't come with an anvil. Oops x2 combo.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10252 on: November 26, 2017, 10:39:58 am »

Does the lazy profile at least come with refined coal? If not, you would need wood to make it. For which you would need an axe.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10253 on: November 26, 2017, 10:42:52 am »

Nope, just a few boulders of raw coal.

Lucky for me the dwarven caravan showed up and brought both axe and anvil.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10254 on: November 27, 2017, 02:32:11 pm »

Oh wow, you probably just saved me a lot of grief with the artifact trading.

Thanks for the heads up.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wertyzerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10255 on: November 27, 2017, 02:48:07 pm »

Here's a real debate topic for you: Is the reflexive form of singular they "themselves" or "themself"?

IDK about everyone else, but if I was forced to choose I'd go with themselves, but this article if found is interesting if you want to read more.

TLDR(the article): It's making a comeback and was used in Shakespearean times but they recommend to avoid themself or avoid that particular construction if possible.

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10256 on: November 28, 2017, 05:35:37 am »

Damn it, dog.

Don't be a snitch.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10257 on: November 28, 2017, 06:24:08 am »

Pulled the wrong gate lever when trying to open a better path for the wagons of the caravan... Instead I closed the drawbridge the smaller packers were on, sending a pair of yacks and humans flying into the air...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Miudo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10258 on: December 01, 2017, 02:43:55 pm »

How can it fly with that thingie...

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10259 on: December 01, 2017, 04:50:04 pm »

Damn those Keas stealing wheelbarrows!

That was for me a cause of many lost wheelbarrows, when I was building a castle.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.
Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 729