Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: worldgen oddity [40d]  (Read 796 times)

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
worldgen oddity [40d]
« on: April 19, 2009, 03:51:41 am »

ok, i had a perfect location saved with the seeds, so it would regen identically each time so i could develop some new races for in the game.

now, i finished my modded race and everything, and decided to make the game harder for me, so i added in other species that people had modded in, mainly the various harder goblins (each with its own unique entity and creature definitions so it doesnt overwrite the standards), the orcs, as well as the sergals.

now for some reason, with the EXACT same seeds and settings, the world is generating the exact same terrain, but with completely different locations for special features like HFS and caves.

i didnt add in any new metals or ores or anything, just creatures and entities.

anyone know what could be causing this?

Zeg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: worldgen oddity [40d]
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 06:03:04 am »

Excuse me while I copy/paste a post I literally just made in the discussion forum heh. It's basicly about this exact thing, and makes more sense here anyway since it is actually a bug I guess:

As far as I can tell, differing results from world gens by seeds is a semi-known bug. Stone layers being different and different good/evil biomes seem to be common results. Also it doesn't seem to be caused by modding; I have myself had a world I was trying to regen from a seed turn up with different good/evil layout on a perfectly vanilla DF.

On a semi-related note, I've also noticed a kinda wierd 'bug' (although it can't really be considered a bug as such, since it involved end tasking the DF process) with the position of features. If I gen a world, then go and start a fort and end task after embark, when I go to look at the world again all the underground features have strangely moved positions. However, if I repeat the process, it never seems to happen again on the same world. I'm not sure it happens 100% of the time, but I have definatly seen it happen more than once when I was making alot of worlds to find a very specific site.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 11:20:23 am »

as well as the sergals.

Completely off topic:

Sergals?

As in these sergals?

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 03:20:34 pm »

Completely off topic:

Sergals?

As in these sergals?

yes.    check the modding forums, someone made them as a possible civ that you can use.

back on topic though, the weird thing about this is, i would gen the world once, it would come up perfect with sand, magma, hfs, an underground pool, and some large pockets of magnetite all in a 5x5 area, and i can add in chasm if i go 5x6, and terrifying biome.

i have a copy of the folder saved prior to messing around, so i erase the region, add the new entities and creature files to the raws, and then regen the world, and it comes up as a serene biome, no magma, no hfs, no pool, no magnetite....    all it has is a single circle chasm where the underground pool was.

now i tried erasing those extra entity and creature files, and it still gens as the serene area, not the original..

but the original copy of the df game (seperate copy of df for every fort i make) with that perfect location saved, i can gen it over and over and over and it comes out the same, the only difference is the towns move.

edit:

OH DEAR GOD   WHAT HAVE I DONE!!

in the first season i got a caravan from the northern sergals.   ok, cool.   i colapsed a floor onto the depot and stole their stuff.

fall comes around...  'a caravan from the southern sergals has arived' and i think sweet!   and i just finished replacing that floor...

then a few seconds later 'a caravan from the goblins has arrived'   and im thinking 'the hell???'

and then a few seconds later 'a caravan from the ender goblins has arrived'  and then the purge goblins sent a caravan, and then the terrifying goblins sent a caravan...    so now i have 6 caravans all trying to fit in my one trade depot...

and then i get 'a vile force has arrived' as the orcs start a siege...   i still only have my original 7 and no migrants!!!

edit again!

more hilarity!    the 'friendly' goblin merchants decided to smash all of my buildings...   and refuse to let me rebuild them
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 04:29:31 pm by Drakis »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 01:17:28 am »

Does the random number generator rely on the OS or hardware of the system generating the world?

[edit]Just realised that unless you have updated your hardware or similar this would make no difference even if it did affect the RNG.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 02:27:39 pm »

more hilarity!    the 'friendly' goblin merchants decided to smash all of my buildings...   and refuse to let me rebuild them

Yeah, BUILDINGDESTROYERs do that.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 03:01:22 pm »

I don't know if it's -quite- a bug that the caves and HFS and stuff are different...  *scratches head*

Actually, no, nevermind.  Those things really ought to be generated before legends.  Of course it is entirely understandable that if they were generated after or during legends, they'd be different.

Also semi-OT:  Sergals?  As in THOSE sergals?  *mouses over link*  Yeah, I'm not going to click that at work, but I'm sure as heck going to download that mod when I get home.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 01:52:55 am »

the sergal mod is kinda nice.   the northern ones come in the summer and the southern in the fall.   its always nice having more caravans to steal from trade with.

i removed the supergoblins and im just playing with orcs and normal gobbys now.

i THINK i might have found the reason behind the change in seeds...

for some reason i have a new 'bone ceramic' that the game wants to make, and i know it came from the sergal species (there are entries for it and special files), but the odd thing is, i never copied the reaction info or the matgloss info into the raw folder of the copy of the game.

edit:

ok, i found that there were still copies of some files in the data/objects folder that was giving the bone ceramic even though i deleted the files from the raws, it was still using those files.

a 100% clean install still gave me the same problems though.    gonna try and isolate which added files are the culprits.

edit AGAIN:

ok, i got the world to gen properly.    apparently it was one of the bonus creatures in the creature_orc.txt i put in the raws folder that was changing the was it generated.   i THINK it was the giant wood spider that was the problem...   it had so many tags....   

heres a copy....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

its likely the combination of tags that made it change things...   and some of the combos dont make sense.     like trap avoid and exotic pet....   you cant capture it, but you can tame it?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:11:05 am by Drakis »