Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 308852 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #1470 on: July 09, 2010, 09:12:13 pm »

Ok, TBH, the efficiency has improved. I get better FPS with the last version (in general) than with former ones. With small embark areas, and 100 pop limit it's quite manageable. My last FPS death was because I tried to make a massive waterfall in a living room using stairs to drive the water out. I dont know if it was the water mass, or the stair usage that did it for me, though.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: July 16, 2010, 08:49:27 am »

What's turning me, as an escapism-fueled long-term player, off, is that after a few years of holding a fort, things start getting weird (in a negative sense).
There is no more natural rock or soil left, the "above ground", "inside", "dark" tags are never refreshed, there's clothing lying around that no one wears and that can't be re-used in any way...

And more generally speaking, FPS go to all hells because of random crap accumulating.
There should be some optional automatic functions that clean up (or have the dwarves clean up) clutter all over the map, not only what is relevant to their jobs or that which rots on the surface.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: July 16, 2010, 10:39:28 am »

You guys both know that dwarfs will put their clothes into cabinets in their rooms if you give them one?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: July 16, 2010, 10:44:06 am »

Yea, well, tell that to the dead goblins.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: July 16, 2010, 10:47:53 am »

The most annoying thing now must be these haulers carrying these bloody -Obsidian Ring- ONE BY ONE to the stockpile. come on lads - it cant be havier than a lead bin full of lead bars!!!
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: July 16, 2010, 11:03:31 am »

Yea, well, tell that to the dead goblins.
There's an option to auto-claim dead creature drops... it triggers the idle dwarf to path to pick it up and they run out into battle like morons... but the option is there.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: July 16, 2010, 11:11:31 am »

You guys both know that dwarfs will put their clothes into cabinets in their rooms if you give them one?

Until it fills up with XXclothingXX.  And then it gets strewn across the floor of their bedroom.  And then when there's no more floorspace, it'll be back like they never had a cabinet in the first place.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1477 on: July 16, 2010, 01:12:05 pm »

Until it fills up with XXclothingXX.  And then it gets strewn across the floor of their bedroom.  And then when there's no more floorspace, it'll be back like they never had a cabinet in the first place.

Actually, there is simple way to get rid of excess clothing: Set up magma-safe statue in one tile room which will flood with magma temporarily when dwarf leaves it. Them mae statue into statue garden and assign it with dwarf that has clothing laying around.

Dwarf assigned to this room will eventually incinerate all his clothing (well, untill he gets magma safe object and puts it there).

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: July 16, 2010, 01:37:17 pm »

Dwarf assigned to this room will eventually incinerate all his clothing (well, untill he gets magma safe object and puts it there).

Magma really does solve all problems!

neil_v

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: July 16, 2010, 02:31:24 pm »

It's funny how people are getting angry about dwarfs leaving clothes all over the place, but i'm sure if you look in your bedroom you might see some -fruit of the loom socks- lying about. Come on, there is a lot worse than clothing wrong with DF. But even the worst bug in DF doesn't bother me as much as the regular game play of most games. DF wont be 'x-com UFO defense' for a couple 'o' more updates.
I know I stand alone on my opinion, but I really love this game (I haven't played for more than a couple of months so I haven't got sick of it yet or velocitized to the bugs, so this isn't an attack, just an opinion) . 

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: July 16, 2010, 03:38:44 pm »

It's funny how people are getting angry about dwarfs leaving clothes all over the place, but i'm sure if you look in your bedroom you might see some -fruit of the loom socks- lying about. Come on, there is a lot worse than clothing wrong with DF.

The clothes I leave laying all of my floor (also the blankets, old laptop's dead(?) power supply, the books, that box, the suitcase from my recent trip, and the other box) I don't mind.

My sister's dirty socks on the living room couch?  You're damn right I mind.

Not to mention the pair under the kitchen counter, the pair on the stairs, the pair in the dining room, and the pair on the bathroom floor from when she took a shower (in my shower, none the less; she has her own she doesn't use because it's dirty).

neil_v

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: July 16, 2010, 03:53:20 pm »

My sister's dirty socks on the living room couch?  You're damn right I mind.

Not to mention the pair under the kitchen counter, the pair on the stairs, the pair in the dining room, and the pair on the bathroom floor from when she took a shower (in my shower, none the less; she has her own she doesn't use because it's dirty).
:D LOL!... sucks... you should build more cabinets ( <- bad, and unnecessary joke)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:55:15 pm by neil_v »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: July 16, 2010, 04:53:59 pm »

:D LOL!... sucks... you should build more cabinets ( <- bad, and unnecessary joke)

No, she needs more Instruction about how to Clean up after herself.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: July 16, 2010, 06:59:39 pm »

It's funny how people are getting angry about dwarfs leaving clothes all over the place, but i'm sure if you look in your bedroom you might see some -fruit of the loom socks- lying about.
Actually I have to agree with previous posters that all these XXsocksXX all over the fort are VERY annoying. You know, some of us bother to get rid of all unused stone and smooth even stockpiles. Seeing clothes over statues in meeting room gives me moral trauma (not to mention that un-dumpable cloth makes it harder to manage goblin's cloth via stock manager)
I know I stand alone on my opinion, but I really love this game
This is special no-loving thread. Posting criticism here does not mean we dont love the game :P

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: July 16, 2010, 09:47:36 pm »

This is special no-loving thread. Posting criticism here does not mean we dont love the game :P
I Think  this is a major point.  I haven't played the game in some time (months)... and maybe I'm a little drunk right now... but we keep coming back because it strikes a chord with us.  It's very "real"... yet fun.  There's another thread where I basically lambaste people for not reading, but that's half the battle and I think anyone that wants to appreciate the game understands that.  Of course, I come off as an ass, but something inside just doesn't really care/concern about it.

(yes, I did look up lambaste on Google to make sure that's the right term.  I basically made fun of the people not taking time to read about their problem and maybe it came across a little rude... but you need to have a little bit of humility to truly "get" the game.)

(sorry if sometime doesn't quite come come out "kosher" but I already gave my reasons...well, it's only one.  Alcohol.)
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 136