Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's the point to weapon-wielding dwarves?  (Read 1806 times)

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the point to weapon-wielding dwarves?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 11:24:58 am »

I typically let my squads train to champion status just by wrestling. I smith some armour and shields but I don't assign those untill they are champion wrestlers (which goes really fast). This has the benefit that they are legendary wrestlers and thus have great skills (superdwarvenly tough, very agile). Then I assign armor and weapons, so they'll start training those too. My hammerdwarves really smash any gobbo's they meet to little bits. If those make it past the weapon traps that is.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 11:35:47 am »

Wll, back on topic.  Ypu see, dwarves make weapons, then they hold thses weapons.  And on a bunch of hse weapons, there are points.  On axes it's a really long point that is sharp, but not really pointy.  And on spears... well, those are like a stick, with a point on the end, and swords are something like both.

And that is where the point is.

*bows*

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 11:42:56 am »

The scary part is that even the hammers have points.  As they often menace with spikes of pig tail cloth or some other absurd materiel.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 02:01:43 pm »

My hammer/mace dwarves have the highest nerve damage rate, followed by axes. Highest death rate is split between spears, which i dont use much of, and wrestling (stop suffocating!). I rarely have swords, and my marksdwarves just take care of themselves.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 02:12:18 pm »

Since I assign plate (iron/steel) to every recruit upon drafting, I haven't had any more permanent injuries. Before that, I had two hammerdwarves that received neck and spine injuries. They were both wearing leather as I had no real supply of ore (of any kind).

Also, I noticed that every single one of my soldiers (except marksdwarves), whom I had never assigned to wrestling, are all high master and such in wrestling. A few dwarves are legendary as well.

Unfortunately, I just had another marksdwarf death. One of em did not obey my order to hold position behind fortifications and decided to charge into the fray. He was quickly chopped down, regardless of his armor or champion status. From now on, I'm going to train every single marksdwarf recruit in wrestling and hand them a buckler. When they reach legendary status, I'll give them a hammer. When they get legendary hammerdwarf, they can start training up their marksdwarfship.

It's a bit of management, but it's for the greater good. I'm sick of random marksdwarves die of stupidity, and not to some fearsome monster. They're only goblins!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 02:31:25 pm »

(True, they need to stop embarrassing themselves like that.  It reflects poorly on everyone.)

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 02:35:06 pm »

It's a disgrace to Dwarfkind. A dwarf is superior to a goblin in every way! Including skin col.. Oh, so that's how racism starts.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 02:44:59 pm »

Because they'll use the weapons in addition to the wrestling (i.e. dodging) skill. Wrestling can only kill by strangulation.

No I don't think so .. wrestlers in my fort seem to enjoy breaking goblin necks and spines.

However come to think about it they rarely if ever MANGLE a goblin's limbs ... while the macedwarves bash those limbs into oblivion. Swords and axedwarves cut them clean off. I'd say that's what makes them worth it.
They do MAD damage.

oh and something I've noticed? They gain wrestling skills pretty fast, you can have "trainers" as in guys that only wrestle and they're good at it. Soldiers who never go out in the field, they'll wrestle your speardwarf and your swordsdwarf, these guys will learn their weapon AND wrestling at the same time. It's awesome!
The only one you need to train separately as a wrestler beforehand would be marksdwarves. Actually scratch that you should train them to be hammerdwarves. This way they learn hammering AND wrestling, when in melee they use their crossbow as a hammer and with good wrestling skill they're a force to be counted with.

The dodging is also crucial in avoiding return fire.

... personally I don't like the micromanagement so I just accept the casualties.
Hitting each other in training and hitting an opponent they wanna kill are two different kinds of attacks. Sparring wrestlers will only die from suffocation, enemies fighting wrestlers will die from threatening a professional boxer and/or karate master.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 05:50:39 pm »

Its best to even train up marksdwarves with wrestling. This way they can defend themselves, and it'll also massively boost their stats. A perfectly agile marksdwarf doesn't have a crossbow, he has a machine gun.

Get about a dozen of these guys and have the ammo stockpile be right under them, and they can fire truly disturbing amounts of ammunition downrange.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 05:58:27 pm »

Yep. I just had them train for a season or so. They're all legendary wrestlers now. I've made a couple of silver hammers (Maxwell is not one of the Dwarves), because of their 50% damage.

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 06:46:43 pm »

Posting here on a related note to those who don't already know:
YES you can train and equip your marksdwarves with shields, and you will be glad you did.

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 06:53:34 pm »

You can just equip everyone with platemail and shields... why wouldn't you?
I never send rookies out into battle, so everyone is very good at armour using anyways, so no speed problem.
-> Profit!

Also - I allways train my soldiers a few ranks in wrestling, so they can dodge better when finding out, which part of the sword is the dangerous one. Everything in full plate - of cause.

Also @ weapons and dorfs: Wrestling is nice, but teh hammer or bought better mace deals more damage.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2009, 07:12:38 pm »

You can just equip everyone with platemail and shields... why wouldn't you?

Because heavy armor slows a non-Armor-User down, and they get far fewer "actions", and that would slow down both their training and combat.  That's why. 

And their movement speed, if they're chasing someone, or running away from it.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2009, 07:37:09 pm »

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 08:53:47 pm by RedWarrior0 »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2009, 07:44:42 pm »

Do you have swords? Are they holding somebody's left pig tail sock in their hand?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 [2] 3