Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: old worn out clothing - replacing/destroying query  (Read 1334 times)

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
old worn out clothing - replacing/destroying query
« on: April 16, 2009, 05:12:11 am »

hello all,

3 questions on clothing that has earned a x/X/XX.

1. some of my original 7's clothing is now very knackered. will they automatically replace their clothing, if there is new clothing available? or do i need to assign them new trousers? i think some of my dwarfs are a bit uncomfortable with the thought of my fortress becoming a nudist colony.....seems very elven....

2. clothing that has been torn off through wrestling practice - is it ok to mark this for dumping? or should i assume that the soldiers will one day retrieve their dyed pig tail left glove? will they get upset if it gets destroyed?

3. stacks of clothes in dead dorfs' tombs - is this just to be left to rot? or best to have it removed and dumped? will other dwarfs be saddened when they discover their chum's clothes have been removed and disposed of?

thank you for your help!

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
Re: old worn out clothing - replacing/destroying query
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 06:08:58 am »

1. Dwarves will automatically replace clothes when there are fresh replacements, but I don't think theres anyway of constraining who gets what clothing without some micromanagement, which I'm not sure how to do.

2 and 3. Stuff like this that is still considered owned can't even be dumped, even though its marked as "to dump", no dwarf will do it because the clothing is still owned.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 06:49:59 am »

2 and 3. Stuff like this that is still considered owned can't even be dumped, even though its marked as "to dump", no dwarf will do it because the clothing is still owned.

In other words, Hide is your Friend. d-b-h is madd hide if one didnt know.
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 07:17:44 am »

Yeah, actually I have a related question.

What the hell determines what clothes a dwarf will wear? I read that they do not wear gloves (except armor) due to a bug or something, and this layering/weight/limit stuff mentioned on the wiki melts my brain.

Ok, I got a Champion hammer dwarf who is nude, but wears armor.

I got a civilian wearing 4 tunics, 2 sets of trousers and socks, nothing else.

I got a civilian with 2 tunics, 1 leather vest, ect, ect.

I'm trying to standardize the materials and types of clothing and leather available in my fortress so all dwarves have a consistant type of uniform, and for the sake of simplicity when tracking my fortresses' stuff in the stocks menu

However I have no idea what I should produce in my shops. Nothing but tunics, trousers and socks in a 4/2/1 ratio? I just can't wrap my mind around how this clothing stuff works, I'll be honest.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 07:57:45 am »

Dwarves will wear ANYTHING. Only armor can be specifically asigned. For dwarves anything else is fair game. Men will wear dresses and skirts. There might be one who only wears a single sock and five pairs of gloves. And so on.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 09:30:23 am »

thank you for help and answers!

another question that stems from this, a little:

armour. if someone is assigned to wearing chain mail, will they also pick up a helm/gauntlets/greaves/boots? or are those plate mail level items?

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 09:45:35 am »

The Armor page on the wiki lists what dwarves will pick up for each armor class.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 10:22:44 am »

To be honest, this version's clothing is a mess. You can't do anything with it, because it's all owned. The only thing you can do is mark it for dump, then hide it. When that person dies (and hope he doesn't have a wife or whatever, because the ownership will transfer to her), they will dump the clothes.

I couldn't put up with it anymore. I stopped making clothes, and disallowed any wrestling practice. When they are recruited, they are assigned a weapon and armor.. though by now, no one has any clothes left so I probably could let them wrestle (and since babies are born without clothes, they'll grow up without em...).

Nudist colonies. No negative thoughts, no crappy clothing lying about everywhere, no wrestlers ripping clothes off each other and no bad thoughts for having clothing continuously rotten off. But if you want clothing, be my guest :P

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 10:56:37 am »

I went a step further, removing all the clothing entries from the dwarf entity. That way, they can't even make the stuff, so not only do you avoid the clutter, the bad thoughts and the wrestling bugs, but all your clothiers' strange moods will result in useful stuff like bags and ropes rather than pants.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 01:09:07 pm »

I can't really tolerate the idea of my fortress being filled with naked bearded midgets caked in blood, mud, vomit, ect.

Besides, the clothing adds to their armor value, a little, and its an easy way to manufacture fortress wealth, and I like to pimp out my adventurer in fly threads after I abandon (its extra armor, man!), 4 Masterful tunics on a dwarves torso is the equalivent of a set of standard quality bronze chainmail shirt, if my calculations are correct.

I'm thinking of just a simple, standardized set of clothes, tunics, trousers, socks. Everyone will wear leather armor with the hunting labor enabled, so I don't need any shoes or caps. I'm just going to experiment and see exactly how many tunics Kogan and Urist will wear once their crappy imported, non-regulation silk stuff rots away.

Ending the practice of wrestling dwarves erotically undressing each other and keeping the stuff in their hands and scattered across the barracks is an idea I'll consider though. Does normal melee sparring increase their chances to dodge?

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 03:08:07 pm »

As long as the dwarf has some wrestling skill already they will train additional wrestling ability, including dodging.
Also, as far as strange clothing goes, my Dungeon master gets positive thoughts from wearing 6 cloaks, socks, a hood, and nothing else, so who am I to judge?

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 05:03:05 pm »

my Dungeon master gets positive thoughts from wearing 6 cloaks, socks, a hood, and nothing else, so who am I to judge?

So tempted to draw this XD
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 05:12:46 pm »

my Dungeon master gets positive thoughts from wearing 6 cloaks, socks, a hood, and nothing else, so who am I to judge?

Is each cloak a masterfully died artical made from the finest burlap each in a different colour?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 09:34:45 pm »

A tasteful blending of emerald, red, midnight blue and black.  And blood, mud, vomit & etc.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 03:01:27 am »

Is each cloak a masterfully died artical made from the finest burlap each in a different colour?
Urist and the Technicolor coat.
I almost wonder if I'm the only one that will get this. ._.
Pages: [1] 2