Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Amazed!  (Read 5355 times)

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
Amazed!
« on: April 15, 2009, 03:02:35 am »

I just had some disgusting tree hugging hippies show up to trade with me...

Deciding that i could just insult them with a few dog skull totems I sent my trader to go look at what they'd brung...

they'd brung... About 9 pages of JUST wood...

Awesome. ;D
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazed!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 03:09:42 am »

Oh elf, you so craaaaaazy.

PheonixIV

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 03:32:49 am »

Pfft, having embarked upon a nice sandy location with an underground river, magma pipe and butt tons of metal, only to realise that it has no trees and i brought a total of 7 pieces of wood (including the 3 you get from the wagon) and i needed to burn one of those pieces to get charcoal so i could toast my coal and make my picks (and also having wasted points on a proficient woodcutter on a map with no trees!) i could use some elves with wood.

The humans just turned up with 18 bins full of leather and about 50 units of hammerhead shark meat, and nothing else.

I bought all the leather, more bags, more sand, more glass! Glass fortress ho!

Still, more than 6 beds would be nice.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 03:34:33 am by PheonixIV »

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 04:03:02 am »

I'm on a 2x2 map area, I've hit HFS, go my undergrund river and am working on setting up my tower cap cavern... But there is still an extreme shortage of wood... luckily all my trade people keep bringing in metric shit-tons of the stuff.

Now I've just gotta get teh king and all those useless nobles into the same room so i Can enact 'Plan Communism'
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Lucifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 02:38:32 pm »

I'm on a 2x2 map area, I've hit HFS, go my undergrund river and am working on setting up my tower cap cavern... But there is still an extreme shortage of wood... luckily all my trade people keep bringing in metric shit-tons of the stuff.

Now I've just gotta get teh king and all those useless nobles into the same room so i Can enact 'Plan Communism'

'Plan Communism' hmm, explain , it has my intrest ^^
Urist McDwarf: Our magma pressure will blot out the sun!

Pansy Elf: Then we shall hug in the sha- BLLLLLLLARGH!!! MY ARMS!! MY ARMS!! THEY'RE MEEELTING!!!

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 02:45:26 pm »

'Plan Communism' hmm, explain , it has my intrest ^^
Does it involve:
A. a ballista?
B. 5 ballistas?
C. magma?
D. all of the above?
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 02:58:08 pm »

Ballistae need to activate levers.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 08:14:16 pm »

Also, snap them off so the effect doesn't stop. It'd be a last ditch effort to seal your fortress or something

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 10:59:04 pm »

Oh, 'Plan Communism' is not particularly exciting.

Its revolves around 'food for the people', and well, nobles aren't people...

ergo...

I should probaly set up some sort of massively complicated system for killing them using my cave river...

but my queen is a legendary ranger. I shit you not.

Legend marksdorf,
Grand master Ambusher,
Adept Animal trainer,
Legend Armour user,
AND
Adept Swimmer.

Among other stuff... bitch be tough, yo.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 12:00:09 am »

Pfft, having embarked upon a nice sandy location with an underground river, magma pipe and butt tons of metal, only to realise that it has no trees and i brought a total of 7 pieces of wood (including the 3 you get from the wagon) and i needed to burn one of those pieces to get charcoal so i could toast my coal and make my picks (and also having wasted points on a proficient woodcutter on a map with no trees!) i could use some elves with wood.

The humans just turned up with 18 bins full of leather and about 50 units of hammerhead shark meat, and nothing else.

I bought all the leather, more bags, more sand, more glass! Glass fortress ho!

Still, more than 6 beds would be nice.

Can't make beds from metal?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 12:08:54 am »

Nope, beds can only be made from wood.  Hopefully this is something that will get changed in the coming versions though.  I don't see why they can't be made out of other materials since wood is just the frame.  At least I hope it is; I would hate to think my dorfs are just sleeping on straight wood.  It's probably more comfortable than a stone floor though.

/Caring  It's undwarflike.
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 12:10:36 am »

I would make a reaction to turn metal to 'wood', but it would not replace barrels with drums.

Come now, who can deny the coolness of iron drums storing dwarven ale formed by the decay of dinosaurs over thousands of years?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 12:14:20 am »

If your talking about having the dorfs drink crude oil instead of ale, then I might just sign up for that.  Would definitely make things on fire more interesting.  Not to mention a bigger explosion when the drinks stockpile goes up.
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.

PheonixIV

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 12:47:31 am »

I would make a reaction to turn metal to 'wood', but it would not replace barrels with drums.

Come now, who can deny the coolness of iron drums storing dwarven ale formed by the decay of dinosaurs over thousands of years?

Lead drums storing all your food, and somehow not poisoning the Dorfs.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 01:18:15 am »

no no!

its would be awesome...

Dwarves with lead poisoning would act like... well, intelligent creatures!

Maybe a dwarf with lead Poisoning would stop and think
"Maybe its just the lead talking, But perhaps I should wait until the siege is over before i go pick up that =pig tail sock="
Pages: [1] 2