Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Effect of "neighbors" on embark screen?  (Read 1455 times)

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Effect of "neighbors" on embark screen?
« on: April 10, 2009, 11:15:47 pm »

So I found what I think is a pretty ideal starting spot, but my only neighbors are human and elf... does that mean I won't have any goblin ambushes, thieves, sieges, etc?

If it does not mean that, what does it mean?

Thanks

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Effect of "neighbors" on embark screen?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 11:45:31 pm »

I believe you have it exactly right. I've never embarked on a gobbo free zone as far as I can recall, but they either have much lower frequency goblin attacks or none at all. If the zone has any Fun stuff like chasms or magma though you shouldn't miss them too much.

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 12:25:55 am »

I have had several forts in a row now that have been completely kobold and gobbo free.  Its getting kinda boring.  I saw them listed on the embark screen, but for whatever reason, I never get sieged, ambushed, nothing. 

I've had to resort to picking fights with the Elves.  How sad is that?
People burning, booze exploding, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  Its business as usual.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 01:50:24 am »

I have had several forts in a row now that have been completely kobold and gobbo free.  Its getting kinda boring.  I saw them listed on the embark screen, but for whatever reason, I never get sieged, ambushed, nothing. 

If you never let any kobold get away with stealing, they won't ambush/siege you.  If gobbo doesn't have the War marking on them, the chance of them sieging you is small.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 03:54:40 am »

Gobbos will siege provided you have ------- next to them at embark, as to them not showing up at your fort.... *shrugs* maybe you're really far away from the nearest gobbo civ?
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 04:55:35 am »

Is it possible to see anything besides the red dashed line or "War" when you are embarking?
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

SnorriMabdugkosak

• Bay Watcher
  • Biban Deler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 08:21:27 am »

It is not sad. Elves deserve to die. It is only natural to help them a bit.
"Get rid of that wine, beer, rum, and all that damn human and elven brews... Ale! We shall live and thrive on ale and ale alone!!!"
-"Snorri Mabdugkosak" Uberdwarf, inspiring his dwarfs during the Beverage Cleansing in Rashgeshud, Ewéathira in 144.

"The problem of Elven children is best solved with strangulation."
-Kogsak Maggotkiller, adventurer.

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 06:02:08 pm »

Gobbos will siege provided you have ------- next to them at embark, as to them not showing up at your fort.... *shrugs* maybe you're really far away from the nearest gobbo civ?

I have been wondering what that was!  That means "at war with your civilization" correct?  AH HA!  finally!
People burning, booze exploding, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  Its business as usual.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 06:05:20 pm »

I have been wondering what that was!  That means "at war with your civilization" correct?  AH HA!  finally!

Actually WAR means that their at war with your civ, ------- means that they're just modderetly pissed off at your civ.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 06:40:57 pm »

Actually WAR means that their at war with your civ, ------- means that they're just modderetly pissed off at your civ.

aaw ... I can't find anything like that :( the Goblin, Human and Elven neighbours however appear.. differently.

Like. In one place it says "Dwarves, Goblins, Humans, Elves" and in another it says "Dwarves, Elves, Goblins, Humans" ... I don't know if it actually means anything. I first figured it means which civ is closer but when choosing sites right next to civilizations it didn't change.
I'm at a loss.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 07:23:12 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 07:10:58 pm »

If you re-gen the world with a different history seed the land will be the same but the civilisations will be different, you can gen a few and try to get different neighbours at the site you like.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 04:32:34 am »

Elves aren't really "people" as we know them.  They're more like some vegetable product, like trees or alcohol.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 04:34:39 am »

Elves aren't really "people" as we know them.  They're more like some vegetable product, like trees or alcohol.

They certainly burn just as easily as those two things  :D

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 10:03:23 am »

They certainly burn just as easily as those two things  :D

That and they wear WOODEN armor.  You know what dwarves call -Willow Armor-?  Kindling.

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 10:52:27 am »

Turns out the world I genned managed to have JUST one dwarf civ left, and very few other civs at all as far as I could tell... nowhere I tried had any goblins, and the option to pick your civilization only showed one option... I regenned with slightly less insane volcano settings and managed to get a reasonable number of civs left :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:02:38 am by morikal »
Pages: [1] 2