Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquadic/Amphibian Civilization  (Read 1615 times)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aquadic/Amphibian Civilization
« on: April 06, 2009, 11:48:11 pm »

No I don't have one up for offer (yet), but I have some questions about building one. First lets start with why, because it would give you someone to trade with if you build your fortress on an island in the middle of the ocean or lake when no other traders can reach your fortress.

I think the important questions I have are: "Is it possible to build this?" and "What is the simplest way to pull this off?"

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: Aquadic/Amphibian Civilization
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:46:20 am »

Yes, it is possible, but it's by no means simple. They'll still be afraid of water, due to the way "dangerous terrain" is coded (they won't drown, though, which is nice). I'm pretty sure the civ won't be able to occupy or travel over aquatic terrain, though.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 02:10:58 am »

Perhaps, if you made horses and mules amphibious, maybe they can travel over the water?

I dunno about wagons though.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 03:53:35 am »

Yes, it is possible, but it's by no means simple. They'll still be afraid of water, due to the way "dangerous terrain" is coded (they won't drown, though, which is nice). I'm pretty sure the civ won't be able to occupy or travel over aquatic terrain, though.

Which basically means no. Sure you can make them amphibious, but they will not path through water, build cities in water or send caravans over water. It only means they won't drown when they get dunked in.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 08:21:29 am »

Which basically means no. Sure you can make them amphibious, but they will not path through water, build cities in water or send caravans over water. It only means they won't drown when they get dunked in.

Drat. I guess I'll just go make a topic about it in suggestions or not as there already was one (though from back 2007).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:26:27 am by sunshaker »

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:43:18 am »

Perhaps, if you made horses and mules amphibious, maybe they can travel over the water?

I dunno about wagons though.

Nope. Same story with flying mounts. Once the mount gets somewhere the rider can't be safely, he panics for dangerous terrain and gets locked in place.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 11:57:44 pm »

Awwww, I saw this thread and was hoping to be attacked from my water supply. It would be great to see an aquatic troll smashing through floodgates as it homes in on my farms...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 12:05:27 am »

Awwww, I saw this thread and was hoping to be attacked from my water supply. It would be great to see an aquatic troll smashing through floodgates as it homes in on my farms...

you could probably accomplish this with non-entity creatures, as these have no pathfinding trouble. Try giving carp building destroyer- could be interesting!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 07:14:33 pm »

Heh, giant skeletal building destroying carp would be awesome, but would they turn up in waves and try to get at the gooey centre of my fort?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!