Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: YOUR ENTIRE FORT IS DOOMED!!! ...not.  (Read 1539 times)

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
YOUR ENTIRE FORT IS DOOMED!!! ...not.
« on: April 06, 2009, 06:18:00 pm »

I was was expanding a pond above my fort in the hopes of avoiding the inevetable goblinarcher attacks from above by digging a few trench squares to conect a large cresent shaped pond, but I dug in just the wrong spot and water stared poorring out the pond right near my fortress!
I had my masons and woodcrafters quickly make a wall to incase the water but by the time they finished all the water had tried up.
So I just plugged up the hole with a granite boulder but I still felt like a giant noob.
Has anything like this ever happened to you?
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: YOUR ENTIRE FORT IS DOOMED!!! ...not.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 06:24:05 pm »

It is physically impossible for one of those dinky little ponds to put a whole fortress under water.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 06:24:25 pm »

yeah...  I had a goblin thief pick several doors related to my aqueducts, with the end result of, when I tried to drown the little green bastard, I ended up flooding the entire bottom z-level of my fortress..

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 06:34:49 pm »

... no. nothing like that has ever happened to me.

... by accident  ;D
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 06:37:05 pm »

It is physically impossible for one of those dinky little ponds to put a whole fortress under water.

Unfortantly I didn't know that.
But the panic wall kept my wood stockpile from being caked in mud so I guess thats a plus.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 06:41:30 pm »

welllllll...  ponds do refill when it rains, so if it was a big pond, in a super-rainy biome, and you never plugged the leak..  you MIGHT be able to drown your fortress over a very long period.    In one of my early fortresses, I expanded a pond for an underground refuse pile (open to sky, so no miasma...)  A cat got locked in and and after a very rainy spring, the water did eventually get deep enough to drown the little moggie.  Took the better portion of two seasons, though.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 06:56:58 pm »

welllllll...  ponds do refill when it rains, so if it was a big pond, in a super-rainy biome, and you never plugged the leak..  you MIGHT be able to drown your fortress over a very long period.    In one of my early fortresses, I expanded a pond for an underground refuse pile (open to sky, so no miasma...)  A cat got locked in and and after a very rainy spring, the water did eventually get deep enough to drown the little moggie.  Took the better portion of two seasons, though.

That's... deliciously sadistic. A slow, watery death? The only better way to do it would've been magma rain that slowly burns the cat.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 07:02:00 pm »

That's... deliciously sadistic. A slow, watery death? The only better way to do it would've been magma rain that slowly burns the cat.

In my defense, the little furball kept waiting at EVERY DOOR that I marked pet-impassable, until a dwarf passed through it.  Then the rotten little couch-clawer would dart through while the door was open.  (so, basically, behaving exactly like a real cat...) 

I figured, given how much cats love to swim, the water would be crueler than magma.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 07:13:03 pm »

A little off-topic but incredibly annoying. Spoiler tag due to long off-topic story.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Morale of the story: Floods are all well and good but don't let cages animals get caught in them.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 07:45:44 pm »

I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 08:09:02 pm »

Yes.

Aquifer - Do not dig under.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It wouldn't have hurt as much if I didn't have all that storage down there.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 11:42:59 pm »

Was on my last fort. I linked every pond on the map into an aqueduct. Then hooked the brook up to it.
I had to ditch the save; the FPS dropped to like 1.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 11:46:25 pm »

Huh, goblins coming. No problem, I'll just station my mark- NO! DON'T HIT THEM WITH YER CROSSBOWS! Alright, I still ha- Oh damn, the wife of my warrior-king just died. He is miserable...

It is fortunate for me he never went berserk thanks to several-hundred masterwork glass windows of both green and clear glass types.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO