Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Upper Z-levels Idea  (Read 1226 times)

Jakkarra

Upper Z-levels Idea
« on: April 05, 2009, 08:42:13 pm »

ive been trawling through threads, and i consistantly see gripes pertaining to the upper Z-level limit (the one into the sky). would it be beneficial to have the upper Z-levels expand when hit? so that when you build into the sky, the heighest Z-level is increased. this would mean that people would not be confined by even the sky itself!

it would, however, remove the ability to "pave the sky" as it would be technicaly impossible to even reach said sky with this setup.

Love, jakkarra

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upper Z-levels Idea
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:55:23 pm »

The only problem I have with it is that an unknowing player could make their fort unplayable by 'adding' too many z levels to the simulation. In my opinion, having to start a new fort because of machine limitations is the least fun of any of the ways to loose.

But then again, setting a high population or allowing cats to go unexterminated has the same effect.

Maybe have a master z upper (and lower) limit in the init, but allow the map to adjust dynamically as the player explores and builds as required? That way an experienced user can tweak to their hearts desire, while still keeping the training wheels on for the nubz

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 09:02:42 pm »

I do likes the idea of being able to reach into space, or even into mantle  ;D

And I agree with there being an init setting to allow range of reach above the peak and under the lowest surface. Preferrably there being just magma with scattering of adamanite (still rare, and it's damn deep there anyway ) and obsidian below the zeroth level. As for being unplayable, well, plenty of us already does it by accident, we just gotta learn to adjust the options to our tastes  ;D

Jakkarra

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 09:22:03 pm »

tettynulus, that is actually a good extension of my idea, i was going to put something similar, but i thought i may be a little stupid, apparantly not, however!

Also, mantix, you are completely correct.

Love, jakkarra

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:32:19 pm »

The tower of babel comes to mind ...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Jakkarra

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 09:48:33 pm »

the dig too deep thing was

Love, jakkarra

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 09:50:02 pm »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 10:10:58 pm »

I propose the number of explorable extra levels is set in the init file. Say you are making a tower, but you embark on a plain? Add some levels to the init and restart DF. Never going to touch the sky? Turn off extra z-levels in the init! Now understand areas that are 'revealed'(Aka, loaded) are never erased this way, they merely make any other tiles not loaded or used unavailable to expantion unless the init option is set back.

So after making the grand tower or making as much mines as you would ever want, set the used z-levels to very low to improve FPS, and set them back to do more digging/building. This can also be used to expand the number of available z-levels, making possible a nano-fortress going down 100 z-levels of a magma pipe.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 02:41:32 am »

If they cost CPU cycles, I'm 100% for this.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 08:35:10 pm »

I do likes the idea of being able to reach into space, or even into mantle  ;D

And I agree with there being an init setting to allow range of reach above the peak and under the lowest surface. Preferrably there being just magma with scattering of adamanite (still rare, and it's damn deep there anyway ) and obsidian below the zeroth level. As for being unplayable, well, plenty of us already does it by accident, we just gotta learn to adjust the options to our tastes  ;D

I think the "below zeroth" level should be just a gigantic frigging pool of magma, constantly renewed to 7/7.  And once you expose it, the magma may rise a few levels and then fall back once in a while (and sometimes just shoot up to near the surface, unless you seal it off with walls).
"By the Armok!  We have found Armok's beating, burning heart!"

EDIT:

And sometimes spirit of fire and demon would spawn in the z-level right above the magma layer.  You won't get a too-deep counter, but you'll have to figure out how to survive the constant incursion of spirit of fire/demons.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:42:27 pm by sweitx »
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 10:04:17 pm »

I dont think you should be able to hit space though... It would be impossible to do and then if you did, everyone would die

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 10:10:18 pm »

A tower just isn't dwarven unless you can't breathe at the top.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 09:27:55 am »

Oh noes, you've found a flying fel goblin fort, and you are normal goblins, it's either converting to Armok, of being sacrificed.

The fort seems to be powered by a familiar force that you and your green kin have known before, back when you ( and kin ) and the dwarves still lived underground, in peace, and uncontaminated by the light... Armok?

And I was referring to Metal Chao's hypothesis of goblin history.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:29:58 am by Foa »

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 08:44:02 pm »

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 09:56:57 pm »

Hmm... There are restriction to how things can go, before the the affect of the rotation of the Earth becomes an issue, and lets not forget that Dorfs are c1400's. It also a weight issue, currently you can't make flying buttresses to relieve this weight and stress.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: [1] 2