Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Insane Difficulty  (Read 8021 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Insane Difficulty
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2009, 11:49:34 pm »

If you remove the [INDOOR_FARMING] tag from the dwarven entity file then players will not be able to grow indoor farms. I am not sure if this will stop them from taking subterranean plants on embark though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2009, 12:53:28 am »

I think you got it backwards. Removing [INDOOR_FARMING] should remove the underground plants from embark, but players should still be able to farm indoors.

Exhibit #1: Dwarves can farm outdoors even though they lack [OUTDOOR_FARMING].
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2009, 03:16:22 am »

I don't like trapavoid, it is fine on weak monsters, and special ones, but giving it to all the regulars just removes traps, which seems like removing a feature, which seems like a bad thing... If you just want to make the game harder then you could remove picks and axes, but I think that that would feel too artificial to be satisfying... How about toning down the trap-specific weapons and swearing to only use those weapons in traps? Maybe also make a trap-specific ranged weapon so you can keep the ammunition/jamming choice...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2009, 03:30:46 am »

I don't like trapavoid, it is fine on weak monsters, and special ones, but giving it to all the regulars just removes traps, which seems like removing a feature, which seems like a bad thing... If you just want to make the game harder then you could remove picks and axes, but I think that that would feel too artificial to be satisfying... How about toning down the trap-specific weapons and swearing to only use those weapons in traps? Maybe also make a trap-specific ranged weapon so you can keep the ammunition/jamming choice...

OH YEAH! I got a great idea, I'm going to remove TRAPAVOID from nearly every creature, including demons and orcs and such, but I'm cutting each trap component to 1/10 of it's normal power, and increasing the weight 100 times. Now those traps are going to still be useful, but you'll need many more of them, and they're going to take ages to build.

In what file is the data for cage traps? They are essentially one hit kills against everything, and I don't like that.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2009, 06:09:22 pm »

They're hardcoded i think. One sec.

EDIT: Yep, they're hardcoded. item_trapcomp doesnt have them, and i couldnt find them anywhere else.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2009, 04:51:39 am »

That's sort of lame, well, is there any way to atleast make cage traps incredibly impractical to make?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2009, 08:11:34 am »

Is there any way to cause dwarves to explode if they touch a cage?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2009, 04:02:57 pm »

Nope, neither of them are possible. Unless you cut out some of the trees in matgloss_wood. That would make wood more scarce, preventing (easy) cage spam, although you could still forge cages (harder without magma; not enough fuel to waste), and you could still buy them from traders.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 04:04:51 pm by Eagle »

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2009, 04:30:30 pm »

I'm not sure if this would just break the game or not, but for foods try removing [EDIBLE_WHENCOOKED], [EDIBLE_RAW], [DRINK:], and [DRINKVALUE:] from all underground plants.  (Might have to add a few others as well, check the list of plant tokens.)  Then create other foods that are edible, cookable, or brewable, but are not growable in any season.  Finally, create a smelter reaction to turn piles of the former plant product into smaller piles of the latter plant product.  You can play with probabilities and everything too, so that you really have to grow a ton of the former to get anything that will provide nourishment to your dwarves.  Additionally, you can add in extra reagents, so that it is even harder to get actual food.  For example, you could require that you use a bar of iron and 10 plump helmets to have a 50% chance of obtaining a single fortified helmet lump, which would be edible only when cooked.  (Don't forget to add seeds as an additional product of the reaction, unless you set your non-growable but edible plants to produce seeds when eaten raw, milled, or brewed.)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2009, 04:41:14 pm »

I'm not sure if this would just break the game or not, but for foods try removing [EDIBLE_WHENCOOKED], [EDIBLE_RAW], [DRINK:], and [DRINKVALUE:] from all underground plants.  (Might have to add a few others as well, check the list of plant tokens.)  Then create other foods that are edible, cookable, or brewable, but are not growable in any season.  Finally, create a smelter reaction to turn piles of the former plant product into smaller piles of the latter plant product.  You can play with probabilities and everything too, so that you really have to grow a ton of the former to get anything that will provide nourishment to your dwarves.  Additionally, you can add in extra reagents, so that it is even harder to get actual food.  For example, you could require that you use a bar of iron and 10 plump helmets to have a 50% chance of obtaining a single fortified helmet lump, which would be edible only when cooked.  (Don't forget to add seeds as an additional product of the reaction, unless you set your non-growable but edible plants to produce seeds when eaten raw, milled, or brewed.)

Smelter reactions only work with piles, so a stack of 5 plump helmets and a single plump helmet would count the same for a smelter reaction. That may have the advantage of eliminating the planter skill bonus, though.

You would definitely need to add seeds, too, since the non-growable plants would generate non-growable seeds when eaten raw, milled, or brewed. When calculating the total supply, remember that those non-growable seeds can be eaten raw or cooked, providing a (non-valuable) meal component.

Cage traps are unfortunately completely hardcoded, so you won't be able to do anything about those beyond giving everything trapavoid. I've always felt that that's a reasonable solution, since things like spike traps, deadfalls, and death-corridors still work, you just need a bit more creativity when placing them than "80 cage traps in a line here" or "weapon traps over here". Pressure plates, pull lever(r), and friendly fire are likely to result, but it will kill things.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2009, 04:37:39 am »

Hey, I just thought, is it possible to make trees be made of something other than wood? or to remove trees entirely and force players to obtain it by sacrificing huge amounts of food via smelter reaction?

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2009, 05:28:23 pm »

You can remove trees. Just open up the matgloss_wood.txt in the raws folder and get to deleting.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2009, 05:44:38 pm »

but could I make wood out of plump helmets?

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2009, 06:08:36 pm »

I think so; im horrible with smelter reactions Arent you gonna limit plump helmets though? Also, this is gonna severly limit beds/bins early on.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2009, 06:34:58 pm »

Pah! They can go suck lemons! Those dwarves can sleep on the ground and wait for the millions of plump helmets to grow, then use those plump helmets in a smelter reaction where 50 piles of them have a 50% chance of yielding 1 log of wood.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10