Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Obsidian Ocean-fortress questions  (Read 1656 times)

runcible spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Obsidian Ocean-fortress questions
« on: April 03, 2009, 04:02:55 pm »

Browsing through older posts, I cam across this thread.  I want to give this a try - essantially, I'm going to build a big honking pillar in the ocean, and build up from there.  But first, some questions:

How big a resource drain is the ocean/magma?  I'd like to be able to have plenty of dwarfs, so I was thinking maybe I should try for a 1x3 map (I want more ocean than land, so 2:1) to keep my fps up.  Would 4 squares of ocean kill my computer?

Does anyone have a way to build up from the bottom of the ocean?  I was hoping that flinging magma up from the ocean floor with a bridge would be a possibility, but I gave it a shot, and the magma didn't really fling.  I know I can build essentially a big magma faucet, and that's a decent second choice, but it'd be cool if I could build from the bottom up.

I'm debating trying to pour the whole thing, and not constructing any walls - any thoughts?

I'd love to be able to start out by getting all my dwarves underground and not coming out 'till I'm ready to start construction - does anyone have any good miasma-prevention techniques that don't involve going topside?  I feel like it'd be cooler if I can leave the mainland untouched (barring some underground base-camp and production stuff) but I don't want all my dwarfs getting sick all the time.  Any solutions?

Finally, if I build a big plank and drop goblins in the ocean, will the zombie-whales eat them?

bunsoth datannil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Ocean-fortress questions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 04:25:54 pm »

i would suggest cheating as the availability of magma/slowness of refill and the commonness of aquifers along oceanic areas.

the minimum you need is a walkway around the outer perimeter of the pillar, then get your Tweak with "for each tile" and edit in this operation set to FET:
</operation_set>
   <operation_set>
      <name>custom pour lava</name>
      <description>pours lava</description>
      <condition>is_designated_as_low_traffic</condition>
      <operations>set_magma_level(7);&amp;#10;designate_as_normal_traffic;</operations>
   </operation_set>
   <operation_set>

that will give you a set layer of magma in whatever place you designate as low traffic like mid air above the ocean in the tiles you want the pillar or this:

</operation_set>
   <operation_set>
      <name>custom monolith making</name>
      <description>trynig to make an obsidian monolith</description>
      <condition>is_designated_as_low_traffic</condition>
      <operations>set_raw_type(331);&amp;#10;set_raw_designation(1073957888);&amp;#10;set_raw_occupancy(0);&amp;#10;designate_as_normal_traffic;&amp;#10;make_subterranean;&amp;#10;make_dark</operations>
   </operation_set>
   <operation_set>

to just make obsidian undug stone walls
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 04:35:48 pm by bunsoth datannil »
Bunsoth Datannil "The Godforsaken Iron Hammer"
"no one likes a flaming dwarf"
At points like this, I say listen to our dwarven forefathers and say "fuck the world, pull the lever".

runcible spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 04:40:02 pm »

Well that's no fun!

Actually, that's a good point about magma refill rate - is there a way to up that?  Or am I gonna have to just refill as necessary with tweak?  I'm willing to do a little editing if it means I don't have to wait ten years for my magma pipe to fill back up... Hell, I already changed my worldgen to have lots and lots of volcanoes, so I can find a magma pipe next to the ocean.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 04:42:44 pm »

You can't go up from the bottom since as soon as you pierce the ocean floor, your access tunnel gets flooded. You'll have to go with ithe faucet method, which requires a lot of aboveground construction. The best you can do is make certain that none of it is visible once you're done.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 04:49:25 pm »

As for miasma, I've seen it mentioned (and confirmed thru testing) that it doesn't spread along diagonals.  So, if your refuse pile is completely enclosed, except for a corner entry, it will still generate miasma, but it won't gas your ENTIRE fortress, just the refuse room.

Alternately, outdoors refuse piles don't stink.  You can simply mine away the ceiling and leave your garbage at the bottom of a 'courtyard.'   This is the method I usually use, since I also usually mine out a large sunken farming area, so I can grow strawberries.

Alternately alternately, and I haven't tried this:  Designate a dump spot that is underneath the end of a drawbridge.  I know that dropping a drawbridge on stones will crush them, so I imagine it would work the same way for dead vermin. 

runcible spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 04:51:35 pm »

Well, I figure I'll need a big obsidian bridge to the mainland anyways, so I was thinking my magma faucet could eventually turn into a pylon for that.  One more question I forgot, though - I've seen plans for perpetual motion machines using waterwheels and pumps - do those need priming from a flowing water-source?  I really doubt I'm gonna be able to find ocean, river and magma all in a small site, so I won't have access to such, but pumping by hand is so un-dwarfly.

For the miasma - I like the idea of a trash compactor!  I'll have to give that a shot.  Alternatively, is there a limit to how far up miasma will spread?  I might just drop a shaft to the bottom and dump all my trash down there, if that will get it out of the way.  Don't want to mine away the surface if I can avoid it.

bunsoth datannil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 05:08:52 pm »

Well that's no fun!

Actually, that's a good point about magma refill rate - is there a way to up that?  Or am I gonna have to just refill as necessary with tweak?  I'm willing to do a little editing if it means I don't have to wait ten years for my magma pipe to fill back up... Hell, I already changed my worldgen to have lots and lots of volcanoes, so I can find a magma pipe next to the ocean.

I know that if I had access to a magma pipe I could make any building in any shape, it would just take for-freaking-ever and waiting to get what I want is no fun. 

I'm working on IslandSpire Mark II.  doing that the normal way would have taken forever and I wouldn't have been happy with the result.  I know I did right by Armok because I found Bauxite digging a magma-moat.

Shark pool+ execution tower + clear glass windows and a legendary dining room = DOOMarium

have your wheel power channel into a drop down into a room with a couple atom smashers set up to crush water, set the waterwheels up to power pumps and channeled to a water source, once the lever for the smashers is set to repeat the pumps start and introduce flow.
Bunsoth Datannil "The Godforsaken Iron Hammer"
"no one likes a flaming dwarf"
At points like this, I say listen to our dwarven forefathers and say "fuck the world, pull the lever".

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 07:41:52 pm »

For bonus fun points, put the shark pool next to the legendary dining room, seperate the two with windows, make sure the sharks are hostile. :D

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 08:02:20 pm »

This is a noobish question, because I haven't tried it yet...   Could you construct the entire fortress hanging OVER the water, then cut it free and drop it in?  Or would that make the whole thing crumble?  Would it make a difference if it was an excavated fort instead of a constructed one?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 08:04:40 pm »

This is a noobish question, because I haven't tried it yet...   Could you construct the entire fortress hanging OVER the water, then cut it free and drop it in?  Or would that make the whole thing crumble?  Would it make a difference if it was an excavated fort instead of a constructed one?
If constructed, then all walls would turn into their base components. Aka, all walls would turn into the stone you made them with. Thus you would have a giant pile of stones, furniture and corpses on the ocean floor.
 If dug from obsidian, then all the sections not made of solid rock would be crushed beneath the rock above it, resulting in a pile of rock walls as if everything but solid walls suddenly disappeared and everything fell straight down.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 08:26:33 pm »

If constructed, then all walls would turn into their base components. Aka, all walls would turn into the stone you made them with. Thus you would have a giant pile of stones, furniture and corpses on the ocean floor.
 If dug from obsidian, then all the sections not made of solid rock would be crushed beneath the rock above it, resulting in a pile of rock walls as if everything but solid walls suddenly disappeared and everything fell straight down.

Both of which would be HIGHLY amusing...

So, theoretically, if you made a fortress "shell" entirely out of natural rock (or manufactured obsidian...) you COULD drop the whole thing in and have it land intact, as long as there were no constructed walls? 

My original idea was to find an exposed magma pipe, plug the top by drowning it, then build a manufactured-obsidian tower over the plug.  When the thing is finished, channel out a section of the plug so that it will drop down and "catch" in a narrow section of the magma pipe, and voila...  It would definitely be a megaproject, but just the idea of plunking a ready-built tower straight down the pipe (or the ocean floor) would be super cool... 

If you COULD manage to drop a pre-fab fortress into a liquid, would it displace the liquid and cause flooding? That would be worrisome enough with ocean water, but really inconvenient with magma..

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 10:04:30 pm »

So, theoretically, if you made a fortress "shell" entirely out of natural rock (or manufactured obsidian...) you COULD drop the whole thing in and have it land intact, as long as there were no constructed walls?

yes, except that any natural rock above an open space is going to fill that open space via smoshing da floors.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 10:34:42 pm »

You could build a series of walls with retracting bridges between them in the shape you want the exterior of your fortress, fill it to 2 magma, then dump it repeatedly. It should build up a wall to the point of being able to simply drain the water from the inside then build it as you see fit and require a lot less magma than if your formed a single obsidian block.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 11:12:55 pm »

just remember bridges don't hold up anything  ;D

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 02:43:27 pm »

The walls should hold themselves up in my design unless something fun happens.
Pages: [1] 2