Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Climbable Enemies  (Read 4286 times)

Jakkarra

Re: Climbable Enemies
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 06:54:18 am »

Having Multi-tile creatures will also virtually castrate them, as it will give them an even harder time accessing forts, theoretically, this could mean that a one-tile corridor could stop ANY megabeast attack from entering the fort.

unless, of course, there is a workaround... such as wall destroying enemies,

Discuss.

Love, jakkarra

EDIT: fix'd spelling, mostly to do with keyboard...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 07:41:42 am by Jakkarra »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 07:12:28 am »

Why do people in the forums have an obsession bordering on the fetishistic about making DF more like other games or Lord of the Rings other fantasy sources? If you want to play Shadow of the Colossus, then play Shadow of the Colossus.

Hm, I don't think that your argument is valid in this case. I've never ever played with that game, but regardless, I find this "climbable enemies" idea very interesting. It would be a neat little feature in adventure mode.  :)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 01:01:17 pm »

Why do people in the forums have an obsession bordering on the fetishistic about making DF more like other games or Lord of the Rings other fantasy sources? If you want to play Shadow of the Colossus, then play Shadow of the Colossus.
Although you didn't mention the game I mentioned I will defend mentioning Ivan by explaining why I mentioned it, its a rougelike and it has multitile creatures. Otherwise I think its fair enough to get inspiration for DF suggestions from other media, Torin himself admits he does.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 05:38:14 pm »

Having Multi-tile creatures will also virtually castrate them, as it will give them an even harder time accessing forts, theoretically, this could mean that a one-tile corridor could stop ANY megabeast attack from entering the fort.

unless, of course, there is a workaround... such as wall destroying enemies,

Discuss.

Love, jakkarra

EDIT: fix'd spelling, mostly to do with keyboard...

Oh great. The monster forces its way through my corridors, tearing down walls and ultimately falls to traps and bolts ... no one is injured.
Except the legendary engraver who commited suicide after much of his art was destroyed.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 07:58:20 pm »

Solution:  Kill him before he can kill himself.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 09:44:00 pm »

Indeed but then this makes sense doesn't it? Most of my forts have huge corridors anyway so those multitile dragons won't have any problem getting around, they wont be able to get into some rooms however but that wont stop them reducing the occupants to cinders. I cant help but remember the scenes with Smaug in The Hobbit here.

Tall creatures might be more of a problem though, but bellow a certain size crawling should be possible and having a bronze colossus outside will need dealing with at some point otherwise no more trade. Imagine one of these guys turning up while running a human town, he could destroy all above ground constructions you'd have nowhere to hide :D.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Jakkarra

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 09:51:05 pm »

Jakkarra is hit with "FLAME"

Its Super-effective

But in all seriousness, yeah, you are correct, unlessthe entrance has a one-tile-wide doorway, but still, itll work.

Love, jakkarra

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 11:43:16 pm »

I just thought of something.

To have multitile creatures would mean that ballista and catapult defenses would be not entirely worthless over-powered against them as they're easier to hit!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 12:35:50 pm »

I just thought of something.

To have multitile creatures would mean that ballista and catapult defenses would be not entirely worthless over-powered against them as they're easier to hit!

Well, you know, in theory siege weapons are generally designed for... well sieges.  And usually more for initiating them then defending against them.  Thus it only stands to reason that a balista SHOULD be WAY more accurate against a dragon then a goblin, should be way more damaging to said dragon then a crossbow bolt.

Also, what is everyone talking about with multi-tile crreatures not being implemented?  There is one already in the game.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 03:26:24 am »

You don't need to have multi-tile victims to climb on. You can already consider wrestling to be a form of climbing, and another wrestling move to specifically model it probably wouldn't be too tough, maybe some variation of holding that ignores size when determining success, deals no damage, and causes the loser of a normal wrestling check to move with the winner. A dwarf could jump onto the back of a colossus in order to keep hacking away at it without annoying distractions like having to stay within range, or grab a kobold to stop it running away...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 [2]