Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Demon Fighting  (Read 3648 times)

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
Demon Fighting
« on: March 23, 2009, 09:53:16 am »

here's something that I've noticed lately.

sufficiently trained, you can defeat a demon without much trouble.

high enough shield skill means that you can block when the demon breathes fire on you.  but i don't seem to be able to block "the ball of flames" attack, nor have very much luck dodging it.  does this match up with what you've experienced?
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

Yaaga

• Bay Watcher
  • "Mou... Yui-Senpai... Stop teasing me!"
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Fighting
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:26:14 am »

Most unmodded adventurers will get hell from a demon unless well trained (Legendary in their weapon, fast, lengendary shield using, probably want quality gear too)
A moded race of say...  six armed, winged, flying dwarves made out of adamantine, totally different story.
Minister of Luck - I directly affect everything in an indirect way that may or may not amount to anything! Yay me!

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 10:59:09 am »

Right.  I'm asking about experiences regarding the fire breath being blockable and the "ball of flames" not being blockable.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

Yaaga

• Bay Watcher
  • "Mou... Yui-Senpai... Stop teasing me!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 04:31:27 pm »

Same basic principle. If you're skilled in shield using you can block that, I've done it with unmodded adventurers (Not a garuntee though, but legendary +5 with a masterwork steel shield'll block those fireballs easy most likely). Not sure with a normal adventurer but my adamantine dwarves block bursts of DRAGONFIRE for pete's sake, so I think a little blob of fire isn't all too deadly.
Minister of Luck - I directly affect everything in an indirect way that may or may not amount to anything! Yay me!

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 11:29:02 pm »

I'm quite sure that dragonfire is blockable but fireballs are not.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

mitternacht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 12:33:09 am »

Like dragons, the demons are also only immune to the fire they personally generate, so you could kill a demon with a bush fire or as a few ppl have reported, they can get lit on fire by corpses they ignited with fireballs (so even when you die you can still end up causing the demon's death :P)

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 04:00:20 am »

have it hack off one of your burning limbs then throw that at it. it will totally work. it fixes the problem of your limb being on fire at the same time.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 11:49:27 pm »

Edit: Disregard this.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 11:53:03 pm »

Also, make sure you set your combat preferences to dodge, unless you are next to a cliff or pool.

With high agility and wrestling skill it increases your survival rate by a lot. (Wrestling skill affects dodge)

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 02:30:04 am »

Throw a seed at it. I once embarked with a few thousand seeds once to pick up with my adventurer for ammo. I went into a goblin fort and planted dimple cups in all the goblins and demons.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 02:49:04 am »

Throw a seed at it. I once embarked with a few thousand seeds once to pick up with my adventurer for ammo. I went into a goblin fort and planted dimple cups in all the goblins and demons.

Its like some kinda nightmarish mockery of Johnny Appleseed or sumthin....

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 03:56:51 am »

Actually the best thing to throw at demons is arrows.

Oddly your Dwarves' arms are capable of hurling arrows at the exact same strength as bows and crossbows

That was how I beat my first Demon even though I wasn't anywhere close to legendary.

Emperor Iones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 12:23:26 am »

Arrows are made for stabbing.
This is a stack of 25 *Adamantine bolts*. It is currently covered with (every blood known to dorfkind)
It's like an entire squad of markdwarves firing point blank into your poor victim.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 02:19:14 pm »

Arrows are made for stabbing.
This is a stack of 25 *Adamantine bolts*. It is currently covered with (every blood known to dorfkind)
It's like an entire squad of markdwarves firing point blank into your poor victim.

• equip arrow in each hand
  • MUDADA etc
  • ????
  • PROFIT!
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 03:23:23 pm »

>Dakka Dakka Dakka
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: [1] 2