Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 2516 times)

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 09:16:44 am »

I was just pointing out.

If you have a random creature, like an owl bear (part owl, part bear, complete mystery!) then you could dynamically combine the graphics of the owl and the bear IF they had combinable graphics.

Just saying, it'd be neat to see mutant monsters w/ mutant graphics.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

stoned funeral

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 12:13:59 pm »

I think the ASCII graphics are one of the best features of this game. Something about the minimalist elegance is very pleasing to me and even if tiles are implemented in any serious way in the future, I'd probably prefer the openness of ASCII to someone else's idea of what a dragon should look like cramped in a human size cube. I saw the Tactics Ogre style mockup floating around on the internet and wept. (ftr I also dislike the mayday graphics set, no personal insult meant to Mayday who I know frequents these boards, but I think it looks shit)

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 12:17:45 pm »

I like Ogre Battle, especially those little generic icons.

I agree, the ASCII does bring a bit of nostalgia back to the days when games couldn't rely on flashy SFX to get people hooked, they had to have "substance" (even if that substance was a knight jousting on a flying ostrich :D).

But imagine, if you will, if it still had the ASCII artwork, but the artwork was not just simple ASCII characters. You could combine them, you could light them on fire to actually show that they're on fire. A dwarf in a strange mood could glow.

All with the ASCII representation, but enhanced to do so much more with it then what is now possible.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2009, 09:50:34 am »

I think the ASCII graphics are one of the best features of this game. Something about the minimalist elegance is very pleasing to me and even if tiles are implemented in any serious way in the future, I'd probably prefer the openness of ASCII to someone else's idea of what a dragon should look like cramped in a human size cube.

To me, the point of graphic sets isn't that a dragon "looks like a dragon"; it's so a dragon is recognizable.

Currently, the game has duplicate letters for a LOT of creatures, which gets really annoying sometimes, so it's good to be able to use arbitrary symbols (which is what the DF font uses anyway) in order to get more unique representations of each of them.

I use Mayday's tileset, and when I see, say, a dog, I don't necessarily think "that's what the dog looks like" very much more than if it were just a "D" or whatever, with the exception that, with creature graphics applied, I actually DO know for sure that it's a dog and not something else.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 2 [3]