Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Triangle Wizard  (Read 17335 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Triangle Wizard
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2012, 05:02:10 am »

I didn't even know that close combat effected your stamina. But yeah, wait until that stamina bar fills before you run. I've lost a few wizards at level one to this. I might see if I can ask the developer if we can start with a full stamina and full cast bar on level 1. Because it's really stupid that you don't. It's not balance or anything, it's just annoying.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:04:25 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2012, 05:17:46 am »

I didn't even know that close combat effected you stamina. But yeah, wait until that stamina bar fills before you run. I've lost a few wizards at level one to this. I might see if I can ask the developer if we can start with a full stamina and full cast bar on level 1. Because it's really stupid that you don't. It's not balance or anything, it's just annoying.

Complaining that Roguelikes are annoying, stupid, or unfair is going completely against Roguelike spirit. It isn't a bug it is a feature.

In fact Triangle Wizard should add a 10% chance when selecting your character it just says you died and makes you restart the game.

In more seriousness what I do is select non-mana/stamina spells from the get go. so I never have this problem.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2012, 07:49:20 am »

It's there, more then 10% chance.

Unless you play as a troll who can out-regen any poor starting position, you have to get lucky with the very first screen or you get violated before you can cast your first spell, getting locked in the "no-cast-no-stamina" zone rather quickly.

There is good "unfair/hard", like challenging game play and there is the bad sort, like a crash to desktop when you try to read a scroll : P

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2012, 04:39:20 pm »

I've never had a scroll crash before, then again, I don't often use any scrolls than Azmodan's (because it's your holy duty to kick everyone's arse for free spell levels).

On the no-stamina, no-melee, no-cast thing, there is two spells that you can cast without stamina. Wizard's Flare and Mystra's Prismatic Spray. Prismatic Spray is a pretty awesome, almost always hits, hits flyers, spray or surround, multiple damage type spell with bugger all cool-down. You can run all you want, tap "Q", blast some stuff, and keep running. It makes Mystra one of the more versatile gods early on (although apparently the spell never gets that damaging later on). Still, it's always handy to have an always recharged, multi-damage-type spell. It sort of makes some of the "no damage spells at the start" classes a hell of a lot easier as well. Plus, it looks quite pretty.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 04:55:00 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2012, 07:25:00 pm »

For a nice little class/god combo, try a Berserker of Mystra. You'll be in close range to your enemies anyway, so firing off prismatic spray is a great way of upping your damage. With it's low spell delay, you'll also be able to healing water yourself whenever you please as well.

Makes any race a good berserker. Although, the new Dark Dwarves are ace at it. Good damage, good life, low knockback, no real drawbacks, makes them an excellent berserker race.

Just remember to press backspace in shops so you can buy a decent weapon. I got a colossus blade fairly early on once and never looked back..... 12k gold, but 133-166 damage. Even with the divisor on damage I was one shotting absolutely everything.
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2012, 03:03:12 am »

New version out now, version 14.03.

A quick overview:
Two new races, Deathknight and Gargoyle. D2 Paladin style auras, for bosses, uniques and a few items, holy/unholy water in levels, encumbrance for armour changes, 100 new talents and an incantation-in-shops balance fix.

Here's the whole list of patch notes:
Code: [Select]
Patch R 14.03 Notes:
Dramatically increased the cost of buying incantations in shops. The incantations found on the ground in a shop still have the normal price.
Buying an incantation from the shopkeep no longer grants you knowledge of the spell; you also need to buy a spell level.
If using permadeath the game is saved after opening a vault to avoid exploits.
Gold now has a graphic if using tiles.
Added a new stat; Encumbrance.
Armor no longer gives a flat speed penalty and can always be worn.
Armor now has an encumbrance value that represents a fraction of speed decrease. Encumbrance acts multiplicative.
Added a few item prefixes.
Added a few new general talents.
Increased the chances champion monsters have talents.
Added about 100 new talents.
Increased the power of the Brute's Strength talent.
Erachna's lair now contains holy water instead of ordinary water.
Standing in holy water provides protection against death magic, standing in unholy water provides protection against holy magic.
Worshipping Neptus increases these benefits.
Death Storm with the Divine Storm talent will no longer poison water.
The Pandemonium Fortress now contains holy water, and the Halls of Anguish unholy water. Pools of such water can also randomly be found in quest areas.
Added auras to the game. Auras work a bit like the Paladin auras in Diablo II. They can be modded and new ones added since they have been given their own new files: auras.tri. Champion monsters may randomly have auras and auras can also be found on rare items.
Added support for auras for unique creatures and quest related creatures.
Added auras to several unique creatures.
Call Hero heroes can no longer obtain several of the more powerful abilities of champion monsters (i.e. damage reflection etc.).
Increased Orc base speed. Orcs also suffer from less encumbrance.
Added the Death Knight and Gargoyle races (thx Delekti).
Dream Images sent to kill the player by Euphoria will now pursue the player down the stairs.
Increased the variety in champion monster names.
Corpses should no longer sometimes show up in dark vision.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:08:58 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2012, 09:30:27 pm »

Another major update. Now up to 15.01. How does Wouter do it?

Main features are:

You can now have The Nameless One as your god. Because little evils like Azmodan weren't enough evil. Apparently it takes what you thought was hard, grins a little, then bitch slaps it to death.

F2 now shows power-ups/items even on traps. Yay!

Better mini-map display on tiles mode.

There's other stuff as well. Here's the list:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:42:22 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2012, 09:52:48 pm »

A new link in case the original broke (they've got a mobile site going nowadays).

http://trianglewizard.webs.com

Edit: wow, it's the same link. I just broke it worse than the original until this edit. But I just learned so much about nested url links it was amazing. Go Opera Mobile and it's shitty clipboard :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:59:08 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2012, 06:39:53 pm »

Heaps of new stuff in 15.02, so read the spolier thingy for details. It's the AARP release (annual roguelike party) so you know it's good. And a wee bit buggy (see next post).

It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2012, 06:46:48 pm »

15.03 is out, so grab it while it's hot. Bugfix release for the after-AARP "I guess I'll fix it" section, that happens with pretty much all roguelikes. Some exploity item sorting algorithm bug that I never knew even existed. Pity, I could have used some help in Triangle Wizard.

Anyway, give it a go. And jump on the game's site, the developer loves suggestions. It's one of those wonderful games where your input actually does end up in the game if it's a cool idea. Plus it gets updated pretty reguarly, so it will probably end up in there quite soon.

If you haven't played Triangle Wizard yet, you haven't seen just what roguelikes can be.

It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2012, 05:11:31 am »

Well, I've played a fair few hours of the new version and it all looks good. Melee still isn't the slaughter-fest it used to be a few versions ago, but by the same token, it's not instant death for you if you're over extended. The new races and gods are cool, although I still have no idea about Raziel. Never play with the sun beating across your monitor whilst in a different dimension, I couldn't see a damn thing.

All the old-school builds worked fine, especially with the heigher weighting of class talents. Getting "Overcharge" as your first talent on an Efreet Energist of Ragnaros was amazing. Zappy-burning-explodey death for all :)
Same with "Whoever's something Trick" on a Djinn Dweomer-caster of Gemini. I only wish I'd not taken a portal early, that undead crown would have been amazing. 4x fast-bouncey-homing magic missiles as your basic damage spell would have been awesome.

As a stand out on the newish races and new classes, try the Spectre Zombie-Lord of Tir-jahar. It's like cheating. It really is. But it's fun in a way.

Anyway, nice update overall. There's almost nothing that's annoying left in the game, and heaps of cool new stuff. I'll have to have a go at some non-OP'd builds, just because the talent weightings still make them nice to play as. I can feel an ascension coming on.......

Any suggestions for something considered hard to play?
It's a game. Have fun.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2012, 09:00:55 am »

I want to try this, but can't get the download link on the site to work. It brings me to a login page which brings me to a blank screen. Probably a browser issue but I can't get another browser.

Any other way to get it?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2012, 10:31:30 am »

You have a chance to find a spell based on the levels you have spells at.
If you have level 30 chain lightining and level 0 everything else, you are very likely to get chain lightning.
But if you have level 30 everything, then you are equally likely to get everything, so you won't get a good number of the spells you really want.
So if you just grab everything then you lower your chance of actually getting the spells you want.

You usually want at least 1 level in every utility spell, you only really need two damage spells, a primary (ideally low cooldown) one, and a secondary one if they are completely immune to your primary one.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2012, 01:36:00 pm »

It depends on what class/god combo and their mechanics on exactly what and how much you want to pick up. Some classes (dweomer-caster and elementalist) get a heap of free spell levels as they go up in level anyway, so you can pick up pretty much whatever you want. Worshippers of Azmodan also get free spell levels (especially priests), so you can afford to spread yourself around a bit, just boosting the spells you always use with Scrolls of Azmodan.

For everyone else, the advice in the previous post holds true. Between one and three main attacking spells, all of different elements, and a bunch of level 1 utility spells. Plus a summoning spell, although you don't necessarily have to level that one if you don't want to, it's handy at level 1 (especially empowered) just for the early meat-shields.

Most classes do get some free spell levels on their default attack spell (mostly up to level 10), which gives you reasonable chances of finding more power-ups for it no matter how jumbled your mix is. Less spells is better though, better chances to level what you want, plus you'll probably never use half of them anyway.

Best spells (IMHO):
Attack: Chain Lightning, Vaporize, Glass Spray, Ice Shards, Stoning, Shockwave.
Utility: Malediction, Haste, Healing Water/Remedy, Wind Walking, Invisibility.
Summoning: Conjure Elemental Servant (they're all good, but Fire is the handiest. More light and free Vaporize artillery), Summon Avatar of Darkness (yay regenning bone dragons), Summon Disciple of Light (healing, free crusades, teleporting unicorns).

The two best summons are actually Call Familiar and Call Hero, but they're pretty random on what you get. Familiars might seem hopeless at first, but no matter what you get, they're great. Give/buy them healing water with some spell regen for it and you'll always have a heal-bot on hand for when you need it (assuming you regen the familiar spell). Then dump all that crap that you'll never use onto them and be happy that it didn't all go to waste. I prefer my familiar or summons to do most of the heavy lifting in the healing/dispelling/enchanting department, so I can get on with killing stuff. Plus, sometimes the RNG gifts you something awesome as a familiar. Sometimes.

Oh, and try a Halfling Treasure-Hunter of Shaco some time. Every power-up is worth it's weight in gold. It makes the game feel very different (limited everything except run speed). Use haste, turn run on, and pray you find something good before your glass spray runs out. Lots of Fun in the new versions, and a fair bit easier than before. Shaco is better percentage-wise than Karma for item drops (200%x2 instead of 300%) and way better for spells, but Karma would probably give better items when they do drop.
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2012, 07:12:00 pm »

Another update, 15.04.

Basic features include:

New Fool class. Negative item levels are now good. Cursed items work as bonuses for Fools.
Traps in walls.
Talents can now be deactivated.
Lot's of little visual fix-ups and "feature" fixes.

Here's all the release details:
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7